Carbon Tax-Free Biodiesel Coming to a Corner Near You!

jmtoriel
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Post by jmtoriel »

Attention Delica Enthusiasts!

Fuel crisis and climate change make biodiesel an increasingly attractive and commercially viable alternative fuel. New stations popping up in the Lower Mainland offer stable prices and significant reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.

VANCOUVER, BC – Recycling Alternative’s new card-lock biodiesel pump station, opening this Saturday (June 21st), is the third biodiesel station to open in the Lower Mainland in the past three months, and the first to make carbon tax-free biodiesel (B100 – made from 100% recycled waste feedstock) available to commercial fleets and residential consumers alike.

The station’s launch marks the emergence of biodiesel as an increasingly attractive alternative fuel, praised for its ability to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and deliver stable, competitive prices at the pump (now cheaper than conventional diesel). Consumers may also get a chance to fill-up alongside the likes of biodiesel supporters, David Suzuki and actress Daryl Hannah (Hannah bought Suzuki a membership at the Vancouver Biodiesel Co-op).

“On the surface we’re launching a fuel station, but in reality we’re serving a movement,” said Jean-Michel Toriel, Biodiesel Manager for Recycling Alternative, one of Vancouver’s oldest recycling companies. “In the face of climate change, peak oil and rising gas prices, biodiesel is an important solution, reducing greenhouse gas emissions anywhere from 60% to 90% and at carbon-tax free prices that are now better than conventional fossil fuels.”

Some of the benefits of B100 biodiesel include:

l Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 60%-92%
l Waste feedstock means no impact on food supply and stable prices.
l Reducing air pollution including particulate matter and sulphur dioxide
l No carbon tax

Members of the media, new customers and curious onlookers are invited to attend the station launch, held in association with the Vancouver Biodiesel Co-op.

WHAT: Biodiesel Fuelling Station Launch & BBQ

WHEN: Saturday, June 21, 12pm – 4pm

WHERE: Recycling Alternative – 360 Industrial Ave. (near Main & Terminal)

WHO: New biodiesel cutomers, curious onlookers and community leaders.

-30-
Contact: J-M Toriel, Recycling Alternative, Biodiesel Manager: (604) 874-7252 or biodiesel@recyclingalternative.com
Founded in 1989, the Recycling Alternative is a locally owned and operated recycling company that preceded the appearance of blue boxes on Vancouver doorsteps. Locally owned and operated, and with over a dozen employees, the company works to ensure business recycling efforts are helping our local environment.
coaxial

Re: Carbon Tax-Free Biodiesel Coming to a Corner Near You!

Post by coaxial »

interesting! I've only used B50 before.. I haven't done any conversion so stock I could run a half tank of B100 in a half tank regular diesel?
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

And go on a bumpy road to mix it all... :-D
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
coaxial

Post by coaxial »

not a problem I'm going to be 4x4ing near mission on sunday, davis lake/sylvester road area which should be sufficiently bumpy :)
Last edited by coaxial on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam
Vehicle: RIP WVO '91 Super Exceed

Post by Adam »

coaxial wrote:interesting! I've only used B50 before.. I haven't done any conversion so stock I could run a half tank of B100 in a half tank regular diesel?
That's what I do, I buy from the b100 Victoria biodiesel and mix it the tank, stick in 20-30L when my tank is almost empty, then fill up the rest with diesel.
fexlboi
Member's Photo Album: http://dinoevo.de
Vehicle: -

Post by fexlboi »

I'll move close to this station, but I haven't used biodiesel at all. I want to use it, but is there anything I need to be aware of? Or can I use it like normal diesel?
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

If you'll be using bio for your un-modified Delica keep it at B20. If you go higher your fuel lines will start to decompose... Higher the number (B100) faster the process!

David
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
lesman67
Vehicle: 1993 Delica Super Exceed

Post by lesman67 »

JM,

I was wondering, is it true the B100 bio-diesel will cause our fuel lines to decompose? I am using your fuel in my delica and didn't know that was possible?
Schwa
Vehicle: 1992 Delica Exceed

Post by Schwa »

Biodiesel in any percentage will soften and eventually turn traditional rubber into jelly, the higher the percent the faster it goes, so it's best to change the fuel lines over to the modern type (Viton, Tygon, etc - fluoride enhanced 'rubber') to avoid leakages and engine problems.

The procedure recommended for testing is to weigh and measure the length and diameter of a short piece of tubing, then pop it in a closed jar of biodiesel (or whatever you're testing) and leave it for at least 48 hours, take it out and re-weigh and measure it, check it for swelling, embrittlement, etc.
vanjuggler
Vehicle: 1991 Delica Super Exceed

Post by vanjuggler »

I ran various mixes of biodiesel for about 8 months, (changing the fuel filter every 3-4 months), and then had RJD Services in North Van to install viton fuel lines (removing the rubber ones). Now I'm running b100 from the Vancouver Biodiesel Coop.

It's great. Less black smoke than before, smells much nicer, cheaper (!), and profits go to a co-op (some profits, at least). Suck it, Esso!
sahdot
Vehicle: 92 super exceed R.I.P.

Post by sahdot »

What about IP seals and gaskets? Anyone know if new replacement ones are now bio-resistant?
terra2imports
Member's Photo Album: http://www.terra2imports.ca
Vehicle: Dealer#30458

Post by terra2imports »

Filled up with 1/2 b100 & 1/2 regular diesel last week in our Monster Delica at the RecyclingAlternative fuel station.

Will be replacing the fuel filter very soon as a precaution but so far so good. We'll keep everyone posted if we experience fuel line problems.
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

I don't have any experience with WVO but a lot of experimenting with bio.

If you are running 50% B100 and 50% diesel from the pump, get ready for IP seal and fuel hose breakdown at some point.

I would recommend NOT to run anything higher than B20 in a stock (not modified with Viton/like hoses/seals) Delica unless you are fond of fuel lines and IP seals breaking down.

Similar would be a 20% B100 and 80% diesel from the pump mixture which is OK to use.

I've used B20, B50 and B100 in my 2.5 (same as Delica engine) Pajero for a year with different mixtures.

Had to replace the IP seals twice due to B100 corroding the seals and and fuel lines to viton once.

B20 = good stock Delica
B40+ = replace fuel lines and IP seals up to B100
sahdot wrote:What about IP seals and gaskets? Anyone know if new replacement ones are now bio-resistant?
Running B100 after 3 months (average 85L fillup every 2 weeks) the newly rebuild (new seals) on my IP broke down and started seeping diesel, so the new seals did not withstand B100 mixture on a consistent basis.

That was last November.

I'm not certain if there are different IP seals (compound).

Return to “Events - BC Lower Mainland”