My Delica Days Are Over

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

Breadman
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/

My Delica Days Are Over

Post by Breadman »

Well my first Delica just drove away yesterday to a new owner. I bought my 89 Chamonix 3 years ago on Ebay off an American guy who wasn't allowed back into the states with it and couldn't stay in Canada. At that time Delica.ca was set up to sell another 89 Delica. When I registered my first Delica on Gabriola 3 years ago it was a very interesting process. They had never dealt with a JDM before and it slid through the OOP unnoticed, oh how things have changed. As some of you know it was hit by a big truck in Nanaimo very soon after we bought it and I joined the UK delica site to find replacement parts etc... ICBC wrote off the Delica for no other reason than the rental costs of another vehicle were going to be too high waiting for parts. I replaced that Delica with a 91 Super Exceed(second JDM on Gabriola). I bought the 89 back from ICBC with plans of using it for spare parts. A year and a half later it became the delivery van again.
I remember when I sent a wire transfer to Japan for $4k people thought I was crazy at the time. A vehicle I had only seen from a couple of photos was going to show up in Vancouver in a few months. The process went through without a hitch and since then there are over 60 JDM's on Gabriola so I'm told. I sold that 91 about a year ago and I now own a 93 Nissan Safari and the bread van has just been replaced with a 93 Toyota Hiace Grand Cabin, like a Delca but 3 feet longer and a foot higher, the bread business is taking off and we needed more room.
It has been an interesting past three years, learning about the Delica and trying to source out parts. I used to order things from the UK and Japan direct before there was a great selection of dedicated services that there is now. I'm sure I will check back here from time to time. I don't see any more Delicas in my future but who knows?
Paul
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Re: My Delica Days Are Over

Post by BCDelica »

Hello Paul, your still welcome here sans Delica! Funny enough but we are the old timers here, now both Delica-less. Good to here the business is growing, always seem to receive glowing first person reviews, often, but never made it over. One day.

Guess the bread van doesn't make it off island too much, the Hiace is over height isn't it? They seem quite roomy, does yours have the 3l engine?

Best Regards,
Kevin
Image Call me BCDelica-less
Breadman

Post by Breadman »

hi kevin, yes the oldtimers, in three years how funny. i was driving by the school yesterday and there were 5 delicas parked in the lot! the toyota is great and yes lots of room. it isn't over height on our ferry but on the big one yes, cost me 90 bucks from horseshoe bay. it is 2wd and had the 2.5l turbo, quite peppy more so than the delica. put the sub in it. it had lots of speakers installed as it was a tour bus and they had a great pa system that we tapped into, really rocks well. someday we will meet up. we start selling in nanaimo soon and lantzville and another downtown location in a couple of months.
talk soon.
paul
shuggyss
Vehicle: 92 Exxxeeed

Post by shuggyss »

Dear Paul,

No, don't do it :o, don't go to the dark side. Stay with the force. You will always be a Delican. You can't go anywhere else. It isn't the same, you know that. You must reconsider. Think about it. Of course I only just got mine so I might be a liiitttllle over the top. But really, are you sure you want to leave us?

Desmond

Return to “General Discussion”