Insurance in Ontario (Im sure you have heard it before)

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

NorthernOntario
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 95 l400, 99 vw Beetle , 90 vw jetta

Insurance in Ontario (Im sure you have heard it before)

Post by NorthernOntario »

Greetings,

I know this one has most likely come up so many times.

Just lined up a vehicle to buy.

Searching for insurance before we finalize.

Hours spent on the phone so far.

Still waiting to hear back. Many wont even talk to us due to RHD

Please note : Insurance being quoted for Female in 30's with a clean driving record since she was 16.

Problem #1) no one can find the vehicle in their listings. Because we dont own the vehicle yet they cant give us a quote. No vin #s to go on.

Hard to get by this when you dont have access to a vin!

Prooblem #2) The only quote that did come through was Royal Facility (Government ran)

Female, clean driving record, $ 2,700 a year!

Also stated if there was ever an accident even a minor one (fender bender, parking lot) Insurance would jump to

$5,000 a year!

We really want a Delica,

But Really $3,000 a year on a $12,000 vehicle. Criminal!

Please Help. We really want to go through with this. But Realisticle with two kids and other bills that is way to much for us!

I know you have all been bombarded by this before but if you can please help.
We appreciate your time.

We know there are Delicas being shipped to Ontario, and sold here. I cant immagine all are paying this much! :-(

Adam & Carolyn
thedjjack
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/forum/ucp.php?i=164
Vehicle: 1989 L300 HITOP!!

Re: Insurance in Ontario (Im sure you have heard it before)

Post by thedjjack »

RHD need to start their own co-op insurance company
Mbryant
Vehicle: White 93 Exceed Crystal lite roof

Post by Mbryant »

Hello Adam & Carolyn: Welcome to the club. Nice to have more Ontario members. :M

Oh what a pain are insurance companies. However there are pages and pages of resources on this site plus great people to interact with. :-D In the upper right corner is the search button and by typing in two words insurance Ontario you will come up with at least six pages of people who have experienced what you have. :shock:

We Ontarians have pretty much all had to shop around, be persistent and , educate our brokers. It seems that statistically most RHD in Ontario (read Toronto, 20 something male driver) are for racing. So we just get lumped in as a stat.

Hope all goes well and you are able to get your Delica. If you are up for a loooong drive we are having a meet in June in Muskoka.
surfhunter
Vehicle: 1993 Delica L300 Jasper

Post by surfhunter »

Brokers suck here in Ontario - I will NOT deal with them anymore in the future. The broker I dealt with passed me off to Facility as well, 2700 a year. I accepted it at first and after a month of feeling like I was being takin to the cleaners I started calling insurance companies myself. I found a company that would accept my Delica with an appraisal at about 2 G cheaper then what the broker found me. When they say they shop around, they only shop around insurance companies that they deal with, not ALL of them. I called the broker, threatened to sue her and they canceled my facilty insurance right away.

Call each insurance company yourself and offer to provide an official appraisal. They cost a couple hundred bucks but you have written documentation of what the vehicle is and how much its worth. Dont get discouraged, every day they seem to change their minds about RHDs. Now if you do get insurance keep in mind that when it comes to renewal time you might not get insurance again, its the stressers of owning one of these things in this crappy province.

Good luck with your search, at least your ahead of the game and havent purchased the rig yet, I bought it and was told that " insurance isnt a problem", haha, ya right, I was freaking out because I thought I just dumped 8 grand into something I wont be able to drive here in onterrible.

Anyways, good luck.
Yokohama

Post by Yokohama »

Interesting that USA insurance companies will insure RHD with zero problems, or at least that is my experience with them. I insured a RHD JDM version of a car that was imported into North America. All I had to do is explain to the person that that the car was just the RHD version of the USA spec car, NO PROBLEM! Even the same rates as the USA version!

I think that USA insurance companies are not paranoid about RHD. To them, it is the same as other cars.
Whenever On-Road and off-road; on duty and off duty, it is DELICA Moment. -CMC

"Practical vehicle fitting wide occasion from personal use to commercial use.
Many can ride / many can be loaded." -Official Mitsubishi L300 product website
dlibbey
Vehicle: '95 L400 Spacegear

Post by dlibbey »

Hi NorthenOntario,

I'm in Toronto. Have been working the phones for a while trying to find insurance I can afford. State Farm will insure anything, provided you can pay $350/month! Another company was darn close to affordable if I gave them my house, motorcycle, and my first born child. Then they decided that they'd only insure the Delica if it was a second vehicle, with the Deli driven less than 4000km/yr! Oh, and I'd have to have a squeaky clean driving record - my one and only speeding ticket happened over 2 yrs ago. CAA said no. Desjardins said $1750/yr, closest to my budget, but still over. My current provider, TD, said no. Personal said I'm not part of a 'group', so they won't do anything for me.

I have 2 more companies to call. If I can't find ins. < $1500/yr my Delica dream is dead. So sad. The Deli is the perfect fit for me and my family.

I'd like to find out who insures all the city of toronto RHD vehicles!

Getting RHD insurance in Ont will require lots of patience and persuation. Good luck to you. Let us know if you find any.

dlibbey
Mr. Pistachio
Vehicle: L400 LWB Super Exceed

Post by Mr. Pistachio »

Yokohama wrote:Interesting that USA insurance companies will insure RHD with zero problems, or at least that is my experience with them. I insured a RHD JDM version of a car that was imported into North America. All I had to do is explain to the person that that the car was just the RHD version of the USA spec car, NO PROBLEM! Even the same rates as the USA version!

I think that USA insurance companies are not paranoid about RHD. To them, it is the same as other cars.
Yokohama!

When you say USA insurrances, who do you reffer to?
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Yokohama wrote:Interesting that USA insurance companies will insure RHD with zero problems, or at least that is my experience with them. I insured a RHD JDM version of a car that was imported into North America. All I had to do is explain to the person that that the car was just the RHD version of the USA spec car, NO PROBLEM! Even the same rates as the USA version!

That won't work with a Delica as there are no USA equivalents to a Delica.

Your situation is not applicable here as your RHD vehicle has a LHD equivalent.

Return to “General Discussion”