Delica in the USA.

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

Calderdoran
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica

Delica in the USA.

Post by Calderdoran »

Hello,

I know that this question has probably been asked countless times here on this forum but I will ask again. I am very interested in having a Delica(vintage) to drive here in the US. In fact just three days ago I saw what looked like a 1990's delica cargo van at a stop light and that is what really spurred my interest. It was left hand drive and white, but oh so very interesting. It seems as though getting such a vehicle here in the states is very complicated, or is it? And help or advise etc would be greatly appreciated. Can I import from Canada? Is it way too costly?

Thanks very much,

David
Mazdax605
Vehicle: 1989 Delica P25W

Re: Delica in the USA.

Post by Mazdax605 »

See thread just below yours. I just got an 89 in the states last week.

http://www.delica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15039
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
Erich
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Delica Exceed 1987

Post by Erich »

David, there aren't many of us here in the US. But as Delicas have become legal with the 25 year old rule, more are coming in. There are probably about a dozen or so now, maybe a bit more. Let me know if you need any help finding one or getting one into the states.
Calderdoran
Vehicle: Delica

Post by Calderdoran »

Hello,

And thanks for the info. I have already figured out the 25 year rule. I suppose my concern is more in the serviceability area. Are these good machines? Are there parts for other mitsubishis that are interchangable? I am also considering a 1989 Toyota Hiace Super Custom. I am in need of a van and am in love with the style of these types of vehicles. I am not a mechanic and am just a bit concerned about keeping it on the road. I can buy a used ford or Chevy van but YUCK!!!!

I am interested in importing a used vehicle that fits in the 25 year frame that is a good reliable vehicle. I would be interested in your help or guidance. I have called all the appropriate authorities and think that it is doable. My only unanswered question is the best and most cost efficient way to get the vehicle out of the port once it clears customs? Seems like a broker might make things easier but then I have to pay them too! I don't think I need a RI.

Fun to figure out but a bit stressful.

RHD in the US? Safe?

Thanks for any and all,info,

David
Erich

Post by Erich »

Hi David,

Customs broker is really the best way to get them in. Several issues that customs has trouble with are the lack of a VIN. They only have a serial number, so no date of manufacture unless you go to the right website and enter the serial number and then you find out a lot, including the month of manufacture and options.

I have not had mine long enough to tell about reliability. However, they have a great reputation and are fairly simple. Some parts are interchangeable with Pajero/Montero. Other parts are not. As with any old car, expect that seals will be gone, suspension bushings, etc. Are they cheap to run? Pretty good for what they are. Parts, I would say are more easily accessible than the HiAce.

RHD is not a problem. I don't know if you were asking if RHD is safe or if the vehicles are safe. No forward control is going to be really safe, as there is just not much meat at the front. That said, I have heard they do ok, as the frame rails are fairly substantial. The bull bars also help. As far as RHD, it is fairly easy to get used to.

Best,

Erich
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

They have a VIN (or chassis number), you can find it under a little hatch in the plastic moulding beside the driver's seat:

Check out this link (from the Delica FAQ Section) posted by Mystery Machine: http://www.delica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2119

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
DR1665
Vehicle: 89 USDM Pajero & 91 Galant VR4

Post by DR1665 »

Hey David,

I'm in the same boat. In fact, just made a trip up to Toronto last week to test drive one headed to California in the next couple months (waiting on MFG date). You might be surprised to know the 4D56T diesel was sold in the MightyMax pickup, though they're fairly rare. Given their age, I suspect knowing a decent diesel tech wouldn't be a bad idea, locally, but if you're familiar with working on Mitsubishis, I wouldn't be particularly worried.

One of the questions I had for my importer last week was, "How does the powertrain warranty you offer work when I live 2,500 miles away in Arizona?" Turns out, as long as I go to an accredited shop, the warranty pays. Figure I'll order mine up with a box of spare consumables in the back, replenish as needed, and let others handle any repairs what might come up.

Looking to get mine by next summer. :M
Brian Driggs | Gearbox Magazine
1989 Pajero 2.6 [rock] | 1991 Galant VR4 [rolla]
Mr. Flibble
Vehicle: 1995 L400 Royal Exceed

Post by Mr. Flibble »

FalcoColumbarius wrote:They have a VIN (or chassis number), you can find it under a little hatch in the plastic moulding beside the driver's seat:
While they have a VIN, by the DMV in the US they don't - mostly because it is too short and does not comply with the VIN rules in the US. One option I believe, is that you get a "second" VIN number, one that is compliant with the US rules, but ties back to the shorter VIN. This is done, if I remember correctly to comply with the computer systems that the DMV has - so you get a "new" VIN for your imported Deli.
Canadian living in Washington USA
Mazdax605
Vehicle: 1989 Delica P25W

Post by Mazdax605 »

No need for a new VIN. Just make sure you get a dmv worker with half a brain. The first one I dealt with made me get a local LEO inspect the VIN to verify it wasn't tampered with. The second one I had said that inspection wasn't necessary, and overrode the computer. This was in the Peoples Republik of Massachusetts.
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
Erich

Post by Erich »

Falco and all. I would call the number on the car, the serial number or chassis number. The VIN for US rules and perhaps others, must list the month and date of manufacture. The serial number on the Delica and other vehicles not originally destined for US import, or older than a certain year, will not have a proper VIN. No worries though. As long as you can show customs that the serial number matches in the various locations AND have all the proper paperwork, importation is fairly straightforward. There has also been some confusion about when to import a vehicle that is twenty five years old, but perhaps short by a month or so. The customs folks don't know the month that car was made, only the year it rolled off the line. What that means, is that I could legally import into the US a car made in November 2014, even though it is only August. Technically, it should be at least twenty five years old, but since customs doesn't have access to Mitsubishi manufacturing code translations it is somewhat moot. What they are looking for, are things like the the batch of new Land Rovers that had their serial numbers changed with old cars, clearly illegal. Many years ago, I almost built a Caterham Super Seven. How could I do that when the completed car would not pass much of anything? The body/frame and suspension came as an unfinished kit. Then the engine and gearbox from a Lotus Cortina(which was imported) was put in the completed body/frame unit. Technically, the car would then be a rebodied Lotus Cortina, vintage 1965, even though this was in 1985. Unfortunately, Super Sevens need regular body/frame redo's because of several inherent weaknesses. A Colin Chapman philosophy issue.

Brian and David, parts are not going to be a problem as far as mechanicals are concerned. I have a guy here in Seattle at Harris Mitsubishi, who can get most(though not all) of the parts available. I have also ordered parts from Australia. As far as critical areas, get the timing belts changed ASAP, as well as fan belts, new thermostat and radiator and hoses. The latter are usually pretty clogged from Japan. The timing belts do go and it is pricey if that happens. Go through the brakes, flush the tranny and diffs and Xfer case. Suspension bushings as available are good to change now, before they are all gone.

And Fibble, I strolled into the licensing office here in Issaquah on Gilman, and I could have licensed the Queen Mary for road use. They really didn't care as long as I paid the fees. Insurance was another issue. BTW I had meant to email you about a meet on Saturday at Mule Expedition Outfitters in Issaquah. It would have been good to see an L400 there amongst the Toyotas and Jeeps. There is a meet at Harris Mitsubishi in September. let me know if you are interested.

As far as decoding ala Mystery Machine, the serial number, you won't get a manufacturing day. A Russian website had mine a year off(June 1986. But the Mit website showed that mine rolled from the factory on June 30, 1987.

Erich
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin

Erich wrote:Falco and all. I would call the number on the car, the serial number or chassis number. The VIN for US rules and perhaps others, must list the month and date of manufacture. The serial number on the Delica and other vehicles not originally destined for US import, or older than a certain year, will not have a proper VIN. No worries though. As long as you can show customs that the serial number matches in the various locations AND have all the proper paperwork, importation is fairly straightforward. There has also been some confusion about when to import a vehicle that is twenty five years old, but perhaps short by a month or so. The customs folks don't know the month that car was made, only the year it rolled off the line. What that means, is that I could legally import into the US a car made in November 2014, even though it is only August. Technically, it should be at least twenty five years old, but since customs doesn't have access to Mitsubishi manufacturing code translations it is somewhat moot. What they are looking for, are things like the the batch of new Land Rovers that had their serial numbers changed with old cars, clearly illegal. Many years ago, I almost built a Caterham Super Seven. How could I do that when the completed car would not pass much of anything? The body/frame and suspension came as an unfinished kit. Then the engine and gearbox from a Lotus Cortina(which was imported) was put in the completed body/frame unit. Technically, the car would then be a rebodied Lotus Cortina, vintage 1965, even though this was in 1985. Unfortunately, Super Sevens need regular body/frame redo's because of several inherent weaknesses. A Colin Chapman philosophy issue.

Brian and David, parts are not going to be a problem as far as mechanicals are concerned. I have a guy here in Seattle at Harris Mitsubishi, who can get most(though not all) of the parts available. I have also ordered parts from Australia. As far as critical areas, get the timing belts changed ASAP, as well as fan belts, new thermostat and radiator and hoses. The latter are usually pretty clogged from Japan. The timing belts do go and it is pricey if that happens. Go through the brakes, flush the tranny and diffs and Xfer case. Suspension bushings as available are good to change now, before they are all gone. ...

...As far as decoding ala Mystery Machine, the serial number, you won't get a manufacturing day. A Russian website had mine a year off(June 1986. But the Mit website showed that mine rolled from the factory on June 30, 1987.

Erich
Hi Erich, to get the date of manufacture, go to the Delica FAQ Section; click on the "Useful Links for Vehicle Part Identification Purposes" thread at the top of the board. As you know there are a few parts list links in that thread, like the Russian one you mentioned, which doesn't give you an accurate date. The JDM Online Catalogue, however ~ does (second post down). Just type your (non-American) VIN in the Mitsubishi field and click enter and the codes, date of manufacture, model type, &c., will appear before your eyes... smiles.

Also, if you do find yourself having to change the VIN to an assigned one, don't let them cover up the original as you'll find it very useful for finding parts.

One more point: Big-Bird has discovered another parts list with exploded diagrams that are remarkably clean that I've posted in the Useful Links thread that's worth checking out.

Falco.

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
Erich

Post by Erich »

Hi Falco,

Thanks for posting about the date. Without all the links and this website, we would all be in a world of hurt learning about our cars. I think I went to the JDM, but don't recall that it listed the day, just year and month. It may have. And the Mit site showed the factory it came from as well. At any rate, such links are useful. For those importing into the US, a US spec VIN is not necessary. Customs agents are well versed in those folks bringing in things like Evos and other high powered cars. They are a little confused when they see what it is, just an old Japanese van that is kinda funky. One of the guys I dealt with, before he had seen it, asked if I was bringing it in to DRAG RACE it. "You gonna race it?" I relied that with 85 hp it would be a long race down the quarter mile.

Anyone with questions on importing into the US, feel free to ask questions.

Best,

Erich

PS I've got a small pass through fitting for my windshield washers at the reservoir. It has a clip that attaches the line to the body. Mit parts doesn't show it, and NAPA and Wesco don't have anything like it. The clip is like the ones that attach the door panels.
Anyone know where I can find such a fitting?
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin

Erich wrote:...One of the guys I dealt with, before he had seen it, asked if I was bringing it in to DRAG RACE it. "You gonna race it?" I relied that with 85 hp it would be a long race down the quarter mile....
Grins.

Erich

Post by Erich »

Thanks for that Falco. Of course, its only a 2WD Express. Think of what a 4WD would do with the right power train and a more robust transmission.

Return to “General Discussion”