Come on in....the water is LOVELY!!!

4x4 trips to Mexico, to the ski hill, or to the local grocery store...

Moderator: mark

Mystery Machine

Come on in....the water is LOVELY!!!

Post by Mystery Machine »

I'd arranged a meet for some of us from MDOCUK to get together yesterday for some food then head off to play in some water!

Quite a few turned up (25+ Deli's! plus some L200's and Pajero's) and here are some pics that were taken during the day! (I just handed my camera out and let everyone else take pics while I played in the water!)

We visited 3 fords in total, but most of the shots were taken at the first ford.

At the second ford, I decided to 'risk it' and actually drove my Deli all the way along the river from the second to the third ford! (nearly half a mile and NO idea if there were any big drops/deep parts along the way!! :shock: ) It was a lot of fun although - probably much to do with not knowing how the river bed would be?? hidden rocks etc....but there was no way out between the two fords because the banks were too high!

Hope you like the photos??

On the way there, maxed out at 65mph!! NEED MORE POWER! :( (the down side of such big tyres! :roll: )

We kept it 100% Mitsubishi! 8) Look at the graduating rise in height! :lol: :lol:

Which way now?? :shock: :lol: (TomTom goes doolally!!)

Mystery Machine did the 'depth test' run, Rusty then did the 'production model' test run..... (Q) So who wants to go next?? Only three days before, a 4x4 had been washed downstream after heavy rain!

(A) BEAT!......Playing submarine! (picture was taken AFTER the bow wave came back down from the top of the screen! :shock: :shock: )

After Beat doing a good job of scaring the heebe geebies out of everyone (killed his engine mid river!!), Pink Pig decides to show everyone that it CAN be done safely! :D (followed by LOTS of cheers! :lol: )

Everyone else then found faith and decided to have a go! Bouncing Deli's Paj looked a bit swamped compared to the Deli's, but made light work of the water! :wink:

Artic Fox builds a good bow wave determined to get me wet! After I'd SOAKED Mark Giles on my second run, it seemed only polite for everyone else to try and get me wet too! :twisted:

Rusty had his waders (good job too - recovering Beats motor would have been VERY cold for whoever had dared brave it in bare feet! :shock: ) Useful for getting shots without suffering the 'bow wave wet ankle syndrome'! :lol: (sorry again Mark! :oops: )

D&C gets a good run through - a taster for his river run later....

Black Knights motor still looked menacing when half under water! :?

Tortus was the last through, but made a great run despite his initial concerns (helped by Beat obviously! :lol: )

Coming BACK through the ford, Marcus Bloke decides to test out his underwater lighting! :lol:

Kieron's shots of me running along the river between the two fords! This was the shallower part (about 3/4 of the way along by now) but still fun!

Just about to hit the low trees! According to Kieron, I made quite an angle as I ran the offside up and along the bank to avoid the low branches! :shock:

Who says 4x4's are not friendly to the environment?? The river will run a lot better now that I've dredged it! :lol: :lol:

D&C decided I'd missed a lot of the weeds due to my ride height, so on the second run he followed me back along the river to 'hoover' up the weeds that I was too tall to collect! :lol: :lol:

Some more vids (1 by Mark Giles, 2&3 by Artic Fox, 4&5 by Pink Pig)

A GREAT day out! :D :D

Regards,

Bruce.
L300 Mystery Machine (High Altitude Edition 8-) )
L300 MudMonkey ($400 bargain banger!! :!: )

kog
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/

river rats

Post by kog »

I'm sure the boys and girls had a blast bushwacking through the rivers on your day out but I do have to say that I wasn't impressed...I don't wish to be associated with ecological terrorists such as yourselves...I guess I'll be one of those wimpy Delica owners who uses the van for gentler excursions...
elbosque

Post by elbosque »

Now I will give you the benefit of doubt that you did not understand the environmental impact of running a river, so I won't call you an ecological terrorist. I am both a 4wheeler and a fishing enthusiast and so understand the ecological impact. I see pics and vids like this far too often. Yes, it looks fun and cool from one point of view but it isn't.

When you drive a river you are likely damaging important fish spawning grounds. From the looks of your undercarriage, your Delicas also destroyed important aquatic habitat. In Canada and the USA, doing something like this is very illegal. I am not sure about the laws in the UK. There is no problem with crossing at an appointed fording point, as you started out to do. However, if you run a river in Canada and you are caught or reported, you will be charged under our provincial environmental laws and our federal fisheries laws (if in a migratory fish bearing water way). If if you are not caught but someone hears about it or just sees it without reporting it to the law, you have created more examples for public outcry against 4wheelers.

The same goes for people tearing up other natural habitats. Stick to the trails and if you have to go off a trail to get around an obstacle, tread gently.

So now everyone knows and there are no excuses on this forum for running rivers or damaging other natural habitats. Cheers
Mystery Machine

Hi Kog,

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your comment? :?

I assume you are saying that what we were doing yesterday was harmful for the environment?? (I take great exception to being called an eco-terrorist, but I'll explain a little more about myself later! :evil: :evil: :evil: )

I can tell you that it certainly wasn't damaging to the environment! :wink:

In the absence of any explanation or justification for labelling me an 'eco terrorist' I'll just have to cover all angles....so please bear with me!

The majority of the photos were taken at a ford (AKA a river crossing DESIGNED for motor vehicles where the cost of building a bridge isn't justifiable because the road is usually used by a small amount of farm traffic)

The ford shown has a concrete slipway either side and is there for the exact purpose of being used by vehicles. There is even a depth gauge to show you how deep the water is, showing that the authorities acknowledge this as a road and public right of way!

There is NOTHING harmful in using this crossing other than the 'pollution' (fumes) caused by the engine which is exactly the same as, to quote, someone "who uses the van for gentler excursions"! :evil:

Maybe you are talking about the river??

In which case - this river is a man-made drainage ditch for the surrounding farmland. Because the farmland is so flat, these ditches are cut into the land in order to allow excess rainwater to flow away! No ditches = flooded fields = no crops! (pretty logical to me!)

These ditches are prone to becoming clogged with weeds and even more so, the long unwanted grass cut from the edges of the banks that has blown into the river! Too much of this and the river becomes clogged and the farmer is back to flooded fields....

Every year, all farmers of flat land around the whole of the UK have to dig out (dredge) these drainage ditches/rivers in order to keep the water flowing (allowing the rainwater to run away) A lot of the time during the summer when the weeds grow quickly, the water just sits there if there has been very little rain and the weeds/grass has get a very quick hold, but after a month of wet weather like we have just had, the water is flowing more freely.

These ditches are NOT breeding grounds for fish, they are often stagnant smelly weed clogged bog trenches. The fords either end of the stretch I drove along are usually dry or VERY shallow at the most! Again, only due to the recent high level of rain has the water level risen as the river does its job of ridding the fields of water.

I've attached some pictures below of some similar rivers, in them you can clearly see the result of dredging on the river bank. If this practice wasn't carried out, then they would clog up and hundreds of acres of crops would be ruined:

So the alleged 'act of terrorism' I have committed is actually just a smaller scale version of what happens in these rivers annually and has been happening for centuries!

If for one minute you think I set out to upset wildlife and ruin nature, then you have got me, my car and my activities all wrong!

I would NEVER drive in or along a natural or established river except to use a designated ford as mentioned above.

Throughout the day yesterday, NOT ONE vehicle out of the 20 or so that came fording put a single tyre on anything that could be in any way be considered damaging to the environment! Even when we all had to turn around at one point, we all carried out an awkward multi-point turn in the road rather than taking the easy option of a quick u-turn in the entrance to the farmers field! We all take our 4x4's very seriously and consideration for the environment is paramount.

I have never taken my Delica anywhere 'off road' except in the following situations:
Through fords and manmade waterways
Across custom, manmade designated off road courses
Across 'vehicular access beaches' like in the beach meets I organise

So, as far as 'eco-terrorism' is concerned, I think you are pointing the finger at the wrong person. I feel greatly offended that you presume to think that just because I own a 4x4, I would intentionally go out and harm the environment of the beautiful countryside in which I live!

I take environmental issues VERY seriously and maybe after reading the next part about ME and my approach to the environment, take a look at yourself and ask yourself if you do as much as I do to help the environment (I hope you do?? :wink: )

For the 10 years I was teaching in a secondary state school, I personally introduced a lot of environmental initiatives (too many to list here!) as well as co-ordinating the creation and upkeep of a wildlife area in 1 acre of the school grounds: wild flower field, large pond, bog-marsh etc….all to encourage wildlife to blossom and give kids a first hand view and understanding of wildlife, conservation and the environment.

Wherever possible I walk. To work, to the shops, to post a letter, to do anything outside of the house, I always see if I can do it on foot first!

If walking is too impractical, I cycle. I have a mountain bike, but I use it more for negotiating my way around the city during rush hour than I do in the countryside unfortunately! This is because I wouldn't consider using a car if I could do it on a bike!

If I DO have to drive, then I use my Smart Car for 90% of my vehicle based journeys! 55+ mpg, VERY low emissions, the smallest footprint of any car on the road in the UK, no lugging around a rear empty seat or a large boot! I have owned it for 6+ years and am not someone who changes my car every year or so!

My Delica is used purely for pleasure, or when the Smart will not do the job. For this purpose, the Delica is a VERY handy vehicle (see THIS thread for when I do use the delica - NO wasteful or unnecessary uses there??)

Me & my other half recycle EVERYTHING we can. Under our stairs, we have a whole load of boxes and bags for specific materials to be recycled. The only things that go in the 'general waste' are items that we cannot recycle!

We have two large water butts in the garden for collecting rain water from the garage roof (for watering the garden) and these are ‘overflowed’ into our large pond so that we do not have to use a hose to top the pond up in the summer!

We have a large composter in garden where a lot of food waste and any garden waste deposited to grow/cultivate our own compost.

Any food waste that will not compost is put in a special food recycling bin that is collected every week.

All our old clothes are recycled as rags or given to charity shops rather than thrown away.

If the weather gets cold, putting extra jumpers or hats on is the first course of action before we even think of turning the central heating on!

Even little things like running low capacity cisterns, filling the kettle with ‘just’ the right amount of water for a cuppa, using old envelopes as notepaper etc….all make a difference in the end.

These are just a few of the things that I do to try and make a difference to the environment. Please take a look at yourself and ask yourself if you actively do as much everyday to help the planet?? If not, then please do not jump in accusing me of being an ‘eco-terrorist’!! Hypocrisy is not a good trait! (I’m not saying you don’t do these things, but you assumed that I just tear around killing the world!)

If your Delica is your ONLY car, then you aren’t off to a good start are you??

I’ll leave it there for now, but a few photos of me in some water is certainly not the basis for accusing me of being an ‘eco-terrorist’!

Hopefully you might now understand why I have responded in this way!!

Mystery Machine

elbosque wrote:Now I will give you the benefit of doubt that you did not understand the environmental impact of running a river, so I won't call you an ecological terrorist.
Sorry, but you must have written this while I was writing my response to Kog! (it did take me a while to calm down and then write it all! :wink: )

Hopefully I have explained everything by way of an answer to you in the above response and hopefully you'll all understand that nothing done yesterday (nor ANY other aspect of my lifestyle) is done to cause harm or damage to environment?

Regards,

Bruce.

mitch

Post by mitch »

Wow.. everyones just a little over senative!

mitch
mitch

Post by mitch »

sensitive...

still learing how to write
elbosque

Post by elbosque »

Thanks for the explanation Bruce. I alway like to give folks the benefit the doubt even if I see them here doing something that I know is not right.

We have the same type of drainage ditches here in the Fraser Valley of BC. However, I would not recommend people driving in them for a few reasons. They are bloody deep and would swallow a Delica. Their base is usually a couple feet of mud. The water in them tends to be pretty putrid from agricultural run-off. Finally, they are important habitat for Coho Salmon. Yes, I know the last two points don't seem to go together. Go figure that the Coho Salmon is one of the nicest tasting salmon but inhabits some of the filthiest rearing water.

I think we can take this as a learning opportunity: things are not always the way they appear.

As for our 4wheeler BC Delica owners, you can be sure that wheeling in a river or fish bearing ditch in BC is illegal and will be reported by conservation minded people. If you see somone doing this. It is probably best to nicely ask them to stop and explain why. Yes, a lot of people don't know why? If they start to get beligerent, walk away quitely and calmly making sure you take note of the color, license plate, make and model of vehicle and time of day. Then report it ASAP to fisheries or your local conservation officer.

Keep them shiney side up. Cheers, John :D
Adrock

Post by Adrock »

Bruce, I appreciate your very detailed response in the way you treat the environment around you, and if everyone thought the same way I know we wouldn't be in this mess. I'm sure anyone who throws around the term 'eco terrorist' knows the mess we're in.

There are many many ways to try to impact the environment around you less. I am a vegetarian, which, some statistics show saves an acre of rainforest every year, but I won't judge you, and I won't call you a hypocrite if you do in fact eat meat, because it is not my place. same with the car you drive. I own a delica, and it is my only vehicle (until I get a new motorcycle this summer that is.) I am 20 years old, and can't afford 2 vehicles, especially a smart car, which would be ideal, and your lifestyle sounds admirable Bruce.

The fact of the matter is I do what I can to preserve the environment I live in, and I am certain Bruce does too. With this in mind I believe that any judgements should be kept private, although suggestions as to how to create less of an impact would be appreciated by everyone.

This brings up a funny subject actually. I was recently speaking to my ex girlfriend and told her about my new van, and how I may be running it on biodiesel or WVO once I figure out how to do it efficiently. I then told her that the certain type of van I got has quite the following (everyone here) and that in the UK they even have meets to enjoy their vehicles together. She got extremely sensitive about the fact people were driving their vehicles just to meet with each other and with no other purpose in mind. I had no justifiable response, except for the fact that you really do have to have fun sometimes, life is not just about working for one cause (at least that is how I see it).

My point with this story is, if you are going to call anyone an eco terrorist, look in the mirror. You have no right to do so if you own a vehicle at all. Sell your Delica and get a bicycle to ride everywhere. If your job does not allow this, then get a new job closer to home. There is a solution to everything, so there is no reason you HAVE to own a vehicle.

In closing, I do not pretend to know the wohle facts of any situation. However I do know that you (kog) also are not aware of all of the facts, and should not be so quick to judge.

I admire what Bruce is doing, as it is far more than almost everyone else on this planet is doing to preserve our habitat, and that of the organisms we share it with. If what he and his fellow 4wheelers are doing is deemed to be hazardous to the environment they are in, it seems to me like Bruce would be the first to change plans and find something else to do with less of an impact.

All I really have to say is, do your part as you see fit. A gentle suggestion is far more effective than a harsh word. I know plenty of people, that by kog's comment would just as soon go out and run some real rivers and ditches and hit a few rabbits for good measure just because somebody told them not to. Do what you think is right, and offer your opinion, but please don't force it upon others. And certainly do not judge other people because of the decisions they make. Because you, or they, may be unaware of the entire situation, which ends in somebody assuming something, and looking rather silly.
josh
Vehicle: L300 poptop gasser

Post by josh »

That eco-terrorist comment was very undiplomatic. Sorry Bruce that you even had to hear it. Especially prior to being able to defend yourself (which you did quite beautifully).

I hope it didnt turn you off our site. And I must add that crossing that river sure did look fun, and it really made me dream of saving up for a lift kit of your... I am hoping by this summer.

Josh

Return to “Member Trips”