L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
Delica_Dave
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 2:38 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica L400
Location: Vancouver

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby Delica_Dave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Hey there everybody!

After recently reading some posts about the dreaded underbody rust i decided to take a peek underneath assess what kind of situation my Deli is in. It's not bad but there is for sure some areas I want to take care of before they get any worse. I proded the bad bits with a screwdriver to see how deep the rot was and it appears there is still good metal underneath and it's mostly surface.

First album is of the worst spots

https://imgur.com/gallery/6ecaa

Second album is everything underneath

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ny17m

I'm reaching out to see what you guys think would be the best course of action. I've read that prepping and using the POR15 products works well. Or should I just grab any rust converter and spray it on. I would like to do as much as possible to prevent any rust issues in the future.

Cheers!

User avatar
Growlerbearnz
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:58 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W
Location: New Zealand

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby Growlerbearnz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:18 pm

For the visible rust I would use POR15, let it cure for a week, then coat the whole lot with an external wax like Wurth Body Protection Wax. If I were doing a full restoration and had repainted the entire chassis I would use an underbody schutz (the black, lumpy looking stuff that protects from stone chips), but it can hide new rust spots so isn't a great choice for a rust-prone chassis (whereas the wax will give corrosion protection, but won't hide any rust bubbling out from below).

For the unseen rust lurking inside I don't trust rust converters or paints, they don't get into all the seams. POR15 is alleged to wick into seams, but I don't like how hard it sets- seams move, especially around suspension points, and I worry that POR15 would crack and let water in.

I like Flood Penetrol- a wicking, rust preventative paintable oil, applied into the chassis rails with a flexible spray wand. The marketing for Penetrol sounds a bit snake-oily, but it's actually decent. Once the Penetrol has set for a week, I'd follow up with cavity wax (3M's Cavity Wax Plus is what I have on the shelf).
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

RileyDog
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:56 am
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1998 L400 swb high roof
Location: Victoria BC

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby RileyDog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Growler ... nice info.
Thanks

RileyDog
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:56 am
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1998 L400 swb high roof
Location: Victoria BC

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby RileyDog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Growler ... nice info.
Thanks

and to the poster, thanks for the great photos. My son and I are going to look at a 99 L400 134k. diesel tmro and I'll be sure to bring a couple strong flashlights to have a good look see.

poochike
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:52 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1999 L400 Chamonix Gen2
Location: vancouver
Location: Vancouver

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby poochike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:39 am

Growlerbearnz wrote:For the visible rust I would use POR15, let it cure for a week, then coat the whole lot with an external wax like Wurth Body Protection Wax. If I were doing a full restoration and had repainted the entire chassis I would use an underbody schutz (the black, lumpy looking stuff that protects from stone chips), but it can hide new rust spots so isn't a great choice for a rust-prone chassis (whereas the wax will give corrosion protection, but won't hide any rust bubbling out from below).

For the unseen rust lurking inside I don't trust rust converters or paints, they don't get into all the seams. POR15 is alleged to wick into seams, but I don't like how hard it sets- seams move, especially around suspension points, and I worry that POR15 would crack and let water in.

I like Flood Penetrol- a wicking, rust preventative paintable oil, applied into the chassis rails with a flexible spray wand. The marketing for Penetrol sounds a bit snake-oily, but it's actually decent. Once the Penetrol has set for a week, I'd follow up with cavity wax (3M's Cavity Wax Plus is what I have on the shelf).
Hey growlerbearnz,

Do you do frame rust repair for pay or is it just a personal thing? I have some I would like to get dealt with as well as preventative stuff done as well.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Growlerbearnz
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:58 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W
Location: New Zealand

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby Growlerbearnz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:08 pm

poochike wrote:Do you do frame rust repair for pay or is it just a personal thing?


I restore cars as a hobby, so it's just for fun (though frame repair isn't much fun, if I'm honest). Also I live in New Zealand, which makes the logistics tricky. Sorry!
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

poochike
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:52 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1999 L400 Chamonix Gen2
Location: vancouver
Location: Vancouver

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby poochike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Growlerbearnz wrote:
poochike wrote:Do you do frame rust repair for pay or is it just a personal thing?


I restore cars as a hobby, so it's just for fun (though frame repair isn't much fun, if I'm honest). Also I live in New Zealand, which makes the logistics tricky. Sorry!
Ah yes, Vancouver is a bit of a swim. Thanks for the tips though.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

dr_airtime
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:39 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: a

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby dr_airtime » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:22 am

I've got a 97 L400 that is very, very rust free on chassis and undebody arriving from Japan with Steven at Rising Sun in a couple weeks. Pictures showed very limited rust but it sounds like with the rust-prone L400 chassis an underbody wax, not an undercoat is the way to go. I'm mostly between Vancouver, Whistler and Mt.Baker with my Van on relatively salt free roads. Anyone in the Lower Mainland have a long term review of using underbody wax instead of an undercoat?

I'll ask Steven what he reccomends too. He used ziebart undercoat products on another thread here.

Here's a shot of the underside. This baby must have been garage stored for 20 years!
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG (607.82 KiB) Viewed 3850 times

User avatar
north54
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1989 P35W
Location: Vancouver

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby north54 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:31 am

:shock: That is clean. I hear good things about Fluid Film and DinoEvo has a write up on it. http://dinoevo.de/rustproofing/
TRUSTY RUSTY

User avatar
Lapprentis
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:02 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica L300 StarWagon 1990
Location: Quebec

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby Lapprentis » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Whathever you choose to use, have it rusproofed upon arrival, even if you do not plan to drive salty roads. That day, revoved the spare tire so it is not in the way and talk to the guy that will apply the stuff and insist on having ALL the hard to reach places/corners well soaked 8-)

Lapprentis :M

Ralph in Winnipeg
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:42 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 94 Strada
Location: Winnipeg

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby Ralph in Winnipeg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:10 am

dr_airtime - that's clean! My Strada was like that, pretty wild that a 20 year old vehicle can be in that great condition. Definitely undercoat it before the rust starts. I used a spray in box liner for the wheel wells (left overs from lining the truck box) and asphalt undercoating everywhere else, then park for the winter and drive my rusty subaru. If I drove my baby in the winter I'd spray it with fluid film. I tried some on my battery terminals a few months back and they look nice and clean today.

Growler's advice is bang on, physically remove as much rust as possible then use por 15, then fluid film. This is what I'll have to do to my Townace as it has some surface rust underneath. I will asphalt coat (schutz) the wheel wells as that is a high wear area and the fluid film with quickly wear off there.

I have always found this to be a losing battle in Manitoba, but you can slow rusts progression.

Ralph in Winnipeg

dr_airtime
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:39 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: a

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby dr_airtime » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks all. I'll go with Fluid Film then. For anyone in the Lower Mainland or Vancouver (Delica Central) I confirmed that Lordco carries Fluid Film and phoned the guys over at Classic Customs on Clark + 1st-ish who said they'd be happy to do it for me. Classic Customs refurbishes old cars so they should give the van that extra care and can do any rust grinding too when van is up on the lift. Should get good attention to detail with guys there.

Hope that helps for anyone else in Vancouver area thinking of doing the same.

Will post some pics in about a month when I get it done.

poochike
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:52 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1999 L400 Chamonix Gen2
Location: vancouver
Location: Vancouver

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby poochike » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:27 am

dr_airtime wrote:Thanks all. I'll go with Fluid Film then. For anyone in the Lower Mainland or Vancouver (Delica Central) I confirmed that Lordco carries Fluid Film and phoned the guys over at Classic Customs on Clark + 1st-ish who said they'd be happy to do it for me. Classic Customs refurbishes old cars so they should give the van that extra care and can do any rust grinding too when van is up on the lift. Should get good attention to detail with guys there.

Hope that helps for anyone else in Vancouver area thinking of doing the same.

Will post some pics in about a month when I get it done.
Looking forward to the results.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

dr_airtime
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:39 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: a

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby dr_airtime » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Gave up trying to find a paint shop that will do the Fluid Film for me so will be a day project in a couple weekends to do myself. Bought a cheap “thick fluid” gun at Lordco for 30 bucks and Lordco stocks the cans of fluid film. Also they carry a 20 buck gun for the regular rubbery-bottom coat solution you can use for wheel wells. May even be able to paint the wheel well coating on.

Will probably attempt in a couple weekends and will post pics here to elaborate on Dinoevo’s attempt from before with the fluid film bottom coat.

User avatar
Growlerbearnz
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:58 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W
Location: New Zealand

L400 Frame Rust Removal / Converting / Preventing

Postby Growlerbearnz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Consider wearing a disposable tyvek overall, and some kind of disposable hat. Those underseal sprayers can be a bit random. :-)
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.


Return to “L400 Technical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests