New to L400's ? What to look for and/or replace on 4M40 2.8L

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Re: New to L400's ? What to look for and/or replace on 4M40

Post by jessef »

Delicashop.com wrote:The 4M40 OEM is subject to failure and hope u guys can find a good quality after market ones as they will fail between the 2nd and 3rd chamber area.
Every engine is subject to failure at some given point. Your subject is moot. There are 4M40's running around with over 400,000km's and many between 2-300,000km's. Do the math.

If the 4M40 is serviced regularly and maintained properly (ie. not driven like a race car), then the owner can enjoy a nice long life out of it. By fitting a pyro (egt) gauge and driven accordingly, even longer lifespan can be expected.
Delicashop.com wrote:
Where could someone source LHD lights for L400? Retro L300's???LOL
....they simply don't exist in the world sorry..not in Taiwan now out of production although do have part numbers :-) and a supplier, Germany (the series 1's were never sold there) etc...
Actually they do exist and all of the parts you are saying that are available in Australia (from your shop and such) are also available locally in Canada since Delica's came to out market.

Nice sales pitch :-D We have local suppliers already.

I prefer series 1 for the simplicity of the mechanical injection pump. No electronics for me and many others. Other reasons as well. You loose a lot of ground clearance/approach angles due to the silly factory body kit.

It's personal preference between series 1 and 2. You will get most people here in Canada buying the series 1 for these reasons.
Delicashop.com
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L400 2002 & RVR

Post by Delicashop.com »

The point I was making with the 4M40 is that the factory 4M40 head fails - seems to be a factory design fault and not to go to Mits to get a replacement one but go aftermarket and find a supplier locally that does that as they will fail..of course your vans all have 50000kms on them like ours, no history etc etc. unless you buy direct or get books which funnily enough do exist in Japan.

Good on the headlights then as min qty was 100 sets so perhaps a local put a large order in but not sure why they simply don't import the LHD Delica Spacegears and Starwagons (not from Japan) with the same motors in the L300 type...see heaps when I visit certain parts of the world.

As for Series 2 vs 1's thought there was a 15 yo rule in CA given series 2's are 5/97 -4/99 then series 3 til the end of the diesel production in Mid 2002 (I had a 6/02 til recently and owned a 95 Blue Spew - Chamonix as we call them, 97 S2 Super Exceed then the white beast)..for me the better gearbox and fuel pump and power was a step up as well some more better wearing internals and storage options. As you will discover through trial and error there are many changes in the 4M40 as well as the petrol versions. Same blocks different motors and changes to the suspension

Body kits...replace them with a real bull bar like has been developed in OZ...then these vans become a much better on and off road van.

Back on thread the other thing that fails regularly is the RHD Drivers window motor unit...again better ones avail aftermarket that are stronger and much cheaper than MMC versions.

As for sales pitch...been here since almost day 1 (member 30) and that is your interpretation of the post smiley face, I'm just adding to what I see through 6 years of trading and 10 years of being involved with Delicas including the D5. After all an owner will see things break once, I see consistent trends and sales from many users that is rare info to substantiate elsewhere.
http://www.delicashop.com Image

"the delicashop for new & second hand parts & accessories - worldwide"

L300 Super Exceed
Series 1 95 Blue Spew Chamonix
S2 1997 Super Exceed
S3 2002 20th Anniversary model
ottawa_boy
Vehicle: Mitsubishi-Delica

Post by ottawa_boy »

Thanks !

This is really informative.

I am in market for a Delica. Hopefully, next week!

I am a newbie to Delica. Are you planning on including a more detailed instructions on doing these maintenance?
MardyDelica
Vehicle: DL#30843 /92 Delica Super Exceed

Post by MardyDelica »

well,
william what jessie pointing out is even other province dont require to change there headlight
at this moment. you should encourage your buyer or you can do modification to put the proper
LHD headligth ( right aiming for left hand drive).
you as a seller or dealer in your area should educate yourself about this:
this is just right way to do.
pls do check at night time with right hand drive headlight and left hand drive headlight
as somebody drive the other car and you go drive in front of this right hand drive
headlight and you see the different. then try the headlight with LHD headlight.it has a huge diff impact on it. when your driving the vehicle towards this car with RHD headlight.
BC province also dont require to change RHD headlight before. but after few years many of this RHD
vehicle came from japan is coming towards canadian market;
so they try to study and found the diff between the RHD and LHD headlight.
me also as a dealer and a delica lover cannot believe about this so called
RHD and LHD headlight the diff between both of them.
i was surprise the diff. test drive L300 with RHD and LHD headlight and its a big difference.
everybody want to make it easy for us. but need to educate the customer about this.
the RHD headlight is not good for the Road here in canada.
as its distruct on coming vehicle at night time that might cause accident.
put the proper LHD headlight and this issue will be gone and safe for everybody
either you drive the RHD vehicle or LHD vehicle.
as for me as a dealer dont sell cars without changing headlight
even i know the province whom my customer live dont require the LHD headlight
i still change it for them for there SAFETY.
this is just a safety issue as they conduct the test on it.
i did conduct myself this test also, it makes a big difference.
we just have to educate them towards the safetyness of everybody.
hope this help;
Cheers;
Mardy
ImageImageImage
jessef

Post by jessef »

an update as every winter this issue pops out often.

Problem : Hard starts, white smoke, coughing & sputtering, stalling after a few blocks, etc...

Why : injection pump main shaft seal has dried up and it allowed air/condensation to seep in causing problems above

Solution : replace the injection pump main shaft seal *note

*this is not a simple process. It requires detail and attention. If the timing marks or anything engine-timing-related is not correct, then the engine will either not run or will run very poorly. This is reserved for either a licensed mechanic or a very mechanically inclined person.

Approximate re&re = 4-6 hours (varies per service shop)

Seal cost = $15-20 (varies per parts supplier)

The rest of the seals/o-rings in the injection pump are viton (synthetic rubber - Mitsubishi replaced the old rubber one's from 1994 onwards) and are not in need of replacement unless they have been damaged. If a service shop insists on rebuilding the whole injection pump and replacing the seals, I recommend to get a 2nd opinion unless the original diagnostic is done by a reputable service shop.

Delicashop.com
Vehicle: L400 2002 & RVR

Post by Delicashop.com »

If a service shop insists on rebuilding the whole injection pump and replacing the seals, I recommend to get a 2nd opinion unless the original diagnostic is done by a reputable service shop.
can be a bit tricky once it is out though and car is in a workshop as you have taken it to be repaired given the complexity of the issue.
http://www.delicashop.com Image

"the delicashop for new & second hand parts & accessories - worldwide"

L300 Super Exceed
Series 1 95 Blue Spew Chamonix
S2 1997 Super Exceed
S3 2002 20th Anniversary model
jessef

Post by jessef »

Delicashop.com wrote:
If a service shop insists on rebuilding the whole injection pump and replacing the seals, I recommend to get a 2nd opinion unless the original diagnostic is done by a reputable service shop.
can be a bit tricky once it is out though and car is in a workshop as you have taken it to be repaired given the complexity of the issue.
insists on rebuilding doesn't mean they started working on it already. What it means is if a shop recommends to rebuild it before removing it, shop around.
Dunc
Vehicle: L400

Post by Dunc »

I would add that you need to keep in mind that there vehicles are sold for 2000 in Japan and resold for 10000 in canada, with alot of that money put into the superficial; headlights and tires.Cheers Duncan

Return to “L400 Technical”