Exhaust Gas Temps

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
gtexjunkie
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 92 Delica GLX (P25W) 5spd

Re: Exhaust Gas Temps

Post by gtexjunkie »

Is it more accurate to be pre or post (post exhaust manifold) turbo?

I just got a pyro and want to know where to place it for best information.

There is another thread on this but I am still a little confused. Some people think t is better pre turbo.

The auto meter instructions state:
PROBE INSTALLATION 1. Begin by installing the thermocouple in the exhaust, then work back to the gauge. Installing the probe in the proper location will insure optimal temperature readings. For non-turbo engines, install the probe 1-2 inches from the cylinder head.
For turbo engines, remove the exhaust manifold and install the probe 1-2 inches from the cylinder head. If the exhaust manifold
can not be removed, install the probe 1-2 inches after the turbo exhaust outlet (Exhaust gas temps could drop over 200˚ when
installing after the turbo).

Thanks
1992 Delica GLX (P25W) 5spd "Iron Goat"
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Mountain Edition auto "Iron Mango"
Super Low
Vehicle: 95 Delica

Post by Super Low »

pre turbo gives you the most accurate temps but you have to be aware if your not taking the exhaust manifold off not to get metal shavings in the manifold they could get sucked into the turbo which could possibly damage it. Where ever you mount the probe just be aware that pre turbo temps will be several hundred degrees hotter than post
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

I'm getting 650-700 average reading cruising between 100-110 km/hr on the highway and 850-1000 hauling up a long hill at 110 km/hr for over a minute. I can't break 1,000 degrees flooring it uphill.

Seems to like running cool.

Stock L400 engine
2.5" exhaust
11-13 psi boost
Autometer pyro / probe in old EGR manifold location

freeheelsteve
Vehicle: 84 Westfalia/94 Exceed Crystal Lite

Post by freeheelsteve »

Ok, still ready to drive my L300 off a cliff. Just came back from my mechanic.

We compression tested and found 440-460 in all cylinders. Then he checked and adjusted valve clearances in case they were too tight. Finally after no luck and test driving we swapped out the wastegate controller on the turbo.

Still no luck. Am having really high EGTs combined with extreme loss of power. On the way home could not go more than 85kph at the best of times and that would be with the pedal to the floor. This seems like it's got to be a fuel delivery issue. No smoke issues though and had a Delica tune last year at CVI.

My van used to haul ass, now it is barely driveable. This seems like it should be blatantly obvious, but we can't figure it out. I guess next stop is the injection pump.

Anybody?
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Injection pump

have someone familiar with delica's or bosch pumps look at it
robinimpey
Vehicle: 1991 Starwagon

Post by robinimpey »

Time to revive this topic. Have been working on my 91 L300 for the past 8 months and just put it back on the road. Don't get too excited it's not all modified, I'm just slow! :-D Anyway one of the first things done was a trubo rebuild and also it now has side exhaust with much less back pressure. The thing is that I used to run between 400-600 c post turbo and now it's running 300-400 c. Is it reasonable that the temp would drop that much? Boost is set about the same as where it was before, 10-11 lbs. Seems to be same or better power than before. I did remove the bull bars and maybe there's less wind resistance so the turbo isn't working as hard. Kidding!
legionnair
Vehicle: delica L300

Post by legionnair »

Its most likely due to the side pipe. Getting rid of the heat easier.
Measure it twice, cut once. Dam still cut wrong

Return to “L300 Technical”