Delica Wiki

Report a bug, or request a feature...

Moderator: mark

vanjuggler
Vehicle: 1991 Delica Super Exceed

Delica Wiki

Post by vanjuggler »

I see that a wiki was discussed back in January, but I thought I'd bring it up again.

It seems that the same questions are asked many times here on the forum, and we don't seem to have a place to point people at, other than 'search the forums'. I think a wiki would be a really great compliment to this forum. The forum is great for asking questions, BS-ing, talking about trips, discussion. A wiki would be great for capturing and ordering information.

I think the wiki would contain stuff like:
* part numbers, and where to find the parts (in different locations)
* links into the forums on howtos
* info on maintenance schedules
* info on suppliers and mechanics
* pros/cons on various mods

If you don't know what a wiki is at all, there's a great 4 minute video explaining wikis in plain english: http://commoncraft.com/video-wikis-plain-english

If we're interested in a wiki, I could donate a hosted wiki (I work for Socialtext, a wiki company), and help seed it with content.

Interesting?
coaxial

Re: Delica Wiki

Post by coaxial »

This would be cool, I'm all for it!

Which code, mediawiki?
mark
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos
Vehicle: 1994 L400

Post by mark »

Your Delica Wiki idea would seem to be particularly useful for Parts #’s, Maintenance Schedules, etc. (material that tends to remains static). A Wiki for specific “static” content could play a complimentary role to this forum software (which is great for “dynamic” content). As you know, we attempted to launch a Wiki back in January (http://www.delica.ca/forum/delica-parts-wiki-168.html) but this never really got off the ground.

Another thought is that the “static” content on parts, maintenance schedules, etc. might have broader international appeal than country-specific forums (where we often focus on Canadian importing issues, Canadian Delica meets, etc). It would be great if a common Wiki could add valuable content to ALL Delica-related sites, including Delica Canada, MDOCUK, Delicaclub Australia, Delica Philippines.
vanjuggler

Post by vanjuggler »

mark wrote:Your Delica Wiki idea would seem to be particularly useful for Parts #’s, Maintenance Schedules, etc. (material that tends to remains static). A Wiki for specific “static” content could play a complimentary role to this forum software (which is great for “dynamic” content). As you know, we attempted to launch a Wiki back in January (http://www.delica.ca/forum/delica-parts-wiki-168.html) but this never really got off the ground.

Another thought is that the “static” content on parts, maintenance schedules, etc. might have broader international appeal than country-specific forums (where we often focus on Canadian importing issues, Canadian Delica meets, etc). It would be great if a common Wiki could add valuable content to ALL Delica-related sites, including Delica Canada, MDOCUK, Delicaclub Australia, Delica Philippines.
This is exactly what I was thinking - it would be great for static content, and useful for all L300 owners.

I'm busy this week, and taking the Delica down to portland for a juggling festival this weekend, so I will probably set this up next week.
mattias
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed (Green)

Post by mattias »

Any more progress on the wiki? I think it's a great idea. We have a lot of great, static info in many different posts in the forum. It would be great to have a wiki for them. I would love to help but it's not exactly my skill set. I'm sure you guys are busy but I wanted to show my support for the idea.

I thought of the wiki idea again after reading EricN's post today about the window guide clip part number: mb421735
vanjuggler

Post by vanjuggler »

I'm typing this from Oaxaca, Mexico - but I come home tomorrow and I should have time next week to set it up and start seeding it with content. I'll post the details when I have something up. Thanks for volunteering to help. :)
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Oaxaca, Mexico! Sweet, Puerto Escondido is my all time favorite Mexican destination, ohhh the surf there!!!! Haven't been to Oaxaca in 16 years, we are both eager to return, hope you had a great time.

BTW, I'll be glad to help to.

Kev
Image Call me BCDelica-less
vanjuggler

Post by vanjuggler »

Okay folks, I proudly announce the delica wiki:

http://wikrad.com/delica

(This is running on a server I've recently set up, so if you notice any stability problems, let me know. .... :)

I've seeded the workspace with some content I had handy, and created some basic structure. Feel free to move stuff around and please help contribute content. The pages would ideally contain a nice synthesis of information obtained on this forums and on others, but failing that, links to these forums or other sites would be great.

Perhaps we could play around with it for a few weeks, adding more content as we go, and then consider making it "live" with a link from delica.ca and advertisement on other forums.

I've also left it kind of open for L300 and L400's - I figure we can sort that out as it comes up. If we wanted, we could also probably create some kind of mapping for wiki.delica.ca to point to the wiki.

Luke
EricN
Vehicle: 90 exceed

Post by EricN »

Maybe a really dumb question which disqualifies me from being allowed to mess around in the wiki, but how do I log in? No combination of my username or my email address and various passwords seems to work.
mark
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos
Vehicle: 1994 L400

Post by mark »

Great start on the Wiki! I can see how this will be a particularly useful platform for parts & other "static" information.

Minor glitch -- I've tried to register, but I haven't yet received my "confirmation e-mail." Have others encountered this same issue?
EricN

Post by EricN »

Same here.
Schwa
Vehicle: 1992 Delica Exceed

Post by Schwa »

Registering is usually optional for most wiki's, this one's pretty locked down though, dunno if that's a setting or maybe just this software?
vanjuggler

Post by vanjuggler »

Registration should now be working.

To be able to edit, you should be able to click the 'Register' button on the top right corner of the wiki.

I think you guys are the first people to register on this install, and I haven't set up the mail server correctly. :)

I work for Socialtext (the company that makes the wiki software that runs this wiki), and I set up this install to get more experience with the product. I'll poke around and get this working. Sorry for the trouble.
EricN

Post by EricN »

GOt my email, by far it is the easiest wiki I have used. Will start seeding it today.
EricN

Post by EricN »

Ok just a quick thought. Is it safe to just cut and paste images directly out of the FAQ section? I am not much of a computer guy but the last wiki page I had where I did that same thing, all the links that I had disappeared over time as they were moved or something. Is it better to save each picture then upload it to the wiki so it stays there?

Return to “Site Suggestions & General Feedback”