Hi from Kingston Ontario

New to Delica Canada? Please introduce yourself and your van!
dantech
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1990 L300

Hi from Kingston Ontario

Post by dantech »

Hi All,

Great site here, what a huge wealth of information. I'm Dan, I recently picked up a '90 Delica Exceed, 5spd. I've had it a week, and right away I drove it from Ontario out to the east coast of Canada, to Halifax. I jammed it just as full as it could possibly get and moved back to Kingston Ontario.
"Vanny DeVito" handled the 3500km round trip like a champ and except for a drastic reduction in fuel economy, nothing phased him for the trip home, despite being loaded to the rafters with at least 2000lbs.
My Delica is a little cosmetically challenged, but since I plan to use it for some light wheeling and overland adventures, that doesn't present any challenges. I don't know much of its history except that it had to have been previously enjoyed by a member here since its got a few Delica Canada logo stickers here and there. I haven't had to do much to it so far. I've unseized the transfer case linkage to 4 Low. it was locked up due to lack of use. The only other thing I've had to do is repair the battery terminal connections for the dual batteries. Who ever butchered that mess should be seriously ashamed of themselves. Crawling around underneath it, I see what looks like a recent cylinder head, new brakes, shocks, and universal joints. It already has a 2.25in exhaust (rear exit). The exhaust is a little seedy, and I'm going to replace it with a short, freeflow, side exit. I can hear a little bit of an exhaust manifold leak and see the telltale soot trails between the head and manifold. I can see that the EGR has been deleted, and while I have the manifold off, I'll drill the delete plate for an EGT thermocouple. I think thats all for now. I've got a long list of future plans building in my head and I'm looking forward the sharing my experiences and adventures with you all, and being a participating member of this great forum.
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Hi from Kingston Ontario

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Welcome to Delica Canada, Dan :M

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. These wagons are wonderful but you have to treat them like diesels or you blow the head gasket. I have a '92, I time the glow plugs every time I start her (even when she's hot) and I warm her up in the morning about four minutes, until the needle moves, which is when the thermostat opens and the engine is falling into ambient temperature, what all the nuts and bolts are torqued for, before putting stress on her.

Awesome wagons!
Happy trails,

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
dantech
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1990 L300

Hi from Kingston Ontario

Post by dantech »

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing that. I got my manifold leak fixed today. There was a nut missing and a few loose. Replaced the missing nut and retourqued everything else. It made a world of difference. Way more responsive, and the turbo spools much faster. I did notice a bit of oil in the intake tract. I'm assuming it's blow by.

Return to “Member Introductions”