Engine Coolant heater Made Easy(er)...

Mitsubishi Delica Camper vans, lift kits & other Delica Accessories!

Moderator: BCDelica

bionic
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 92 delica exceed

Engine Coolant heater Made Easy(er)...

Post by bionic »

Hi guys, here is a simple install that can be of real benefit in the cooler temps of winter. I try to avoid posting these things as there tend to be too many opinions and not enough real life installs, but this one worked so well I felt I should share.
I happened to have a passive (gravity) style 1500wt heater from my VW diesel days so I decided to throw it on. It is made my zerostart, and still available. They go for between 75- 150.00 depending on output/size. Here is one of the same design, with a brief explanation of install.

http://sell.lulusoso.com/selling-leads/ ... eater.html

I would have simply installed a block heater (frost plug style) as they are readily available and do work well, but installation can be a PITA on the auto diesel, so I opted for this instead. (...and again, I had one:))
My install utilizes the rear auxiliary coolant heater hose to T into at the top, and the stock block drain plug for the inlet. This creates a natural current due to the warm coolant rising and the cold coolant pulling in to be heated. This means no coolant pump which is less mechanicals to go bad. The only things to keep in mind are to mount the heater below the lowest point on the loop. (you can pick a place)
I opted for the frame rail between the exhaust manifold and the alternator. The routing allows for the heater to moved for oil changes if needed, but you would need to unbolt it. (I can still slide my filter out without unbolting the heater)
All said and done, this install takes about an hour total. It will heat the motor to just below the driving range on the gauge.(smaller section of the range) in under an hour in -5*C...pretty impressive, but I can't state how quick in cooler temps, but since the output and capacity of these heaters is far greater that of the block variety, Im sure it will perform well.
***On a side note, compatible rear heater hoses were available from Lordco. They were kind enough to let me personally search their inventory by hand until I found the right ones. I had one burst at 161K so I'm sure there are others that could use the info. (even reinforced 5/8 coolant hose would not make the bends without kinking) Not sure which is which but..
Part#
87661 $17.99
87665 $19.87
Attachments
Here is a picture of the upper hose attching with a T to the lower heater outlet hose coming from the head.  The pic is from underneath forward of the front fuel tank. With your hood open, look down behind the IP, you will see the two hoses exiting the head..either will do but the lower is easier to T into with clamps.
Here is a picture of the upper hose attching with a T to the lower heater outlet hose coming from the head. The pic is from underneath forward of the front fuel tank. With your hood open, look down behind the IP, you will see the two hoses exiting the head..either will do but the lower is easier to T into with clamps.
GEDC0031.JPG (163.81 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
This is the block drain plug.  I simply used a 1/4 NPT elbow with a section of pipe towards the coolant heater.  The coolant hose is wrapped in hose insulation and foil tape from Home Depot.
This is the block drain plug. I simply used a 1/4 NPT elbow with a section of pipe towards the coolant heater. The coolant hose is wrapped in hose insulation and foil tape from Home Depot.
GEDC0004.JPG (181.65 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Hard to see, but this is looking forward from behind the trans towards the driver.  Looks tight, and indeed it is, but removal of the oil filter is possible without undoing the heater bracket.  Looks close to the manifold but has plenty of clearance...not even warm from driving.
Hard to see, but this is looking forward from behind the trans towards the driver. Looks tight, and indeed it is, but removal of the oil filter is possible without undoing the heater bracket. Looks close to the manifold but has plenty of clearance...not even warm from driving.
GEDC0012.JPG (184 KiB) Viewed 2151 times

Return to “Delica Modifications”