Any other D5 coming to Canada?

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

delica64
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica L400 s2 V6

Any other D5 coming to Canada?

Post by delica64 »

Hi All,

Has anyone imported the Delica D5 into Canada?

I'm in the process of importing a D5 this spring.
If all goes well we should have it by May! Pretty excited

I know Australia has imported tons of these as the regulations allowed. I'm part of the delicaclub forum and they have tons of resources for the newer model.

Eventually I would like to populate this forum with their information and bring some knowledge of these rigs up here.

I'll keep you posted on the import and post pics when it lands!

Cheers,

Nick
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Re: Any other D5 coming to Canada?

Post by lrp374 »

Mardy @ Amazing Autos has a number of them in stock!!
DLP3000
Vehicle: Delica D5

Post by DLP3000 »

I purchased a 2007 Delica D5 recently from Mardy and have already taken it on a week long road trip and driven around the city.

here are some very important things to consider:

1. Roof rack: After weeks of trying to negotiate with foreign companies for the correct fit i decided to abandon that avenue. The Rhino rack made for this delica is only available in australia or new zealand, only one company was willing to ship here and it would have doubled the cost of the rack. Instead i took it to Modula Racks in Surrey and had a custom adjustable rail mount whisper system installed - way better! $1500

2. Trailer hitch - same as above do not bother trying to find the OEM hitch, almost impossible and way too expensive. I took off the spare tire and carefully measured out the bolt spacing then searched for a local hitch that was close enough to fit with minor modification. I found a $75 hitch online rated for 500lbs tongue weight that was within 1" of the bolt width spacing and cleared everything nicely at the bottom. Its a Curt hitch. All i had to do was re-drill 4 holes 1/2" offset from the predrilled holes and voila, perfect fit. The exact bolt spacing for the Delica D5 is 41-3/8" from beam to beam. The spacing of the holes center to center on each beam is (bolt-bolt-bolt)0 - 3" - 3-1/2". I over-drilled the holes for play and it fits perfectly. Luckily my van came with bolts in the holes so i didnt have to shop around for a rare metric set. i will post a photo instruction of mounting the hitch sometime later showing exactly how i did it.

I got a swing away tongue so i can carry gear and bikes at back and still open the hatch. We are getting a roof top tent and awning. With the tepui foothill i can carry a cargo box and tent together.

3. MMCS screen navi and music system - this has been the biggest disappointment to try and convert japanese to english. The dash info is easy to convert but the MMCS is not. I have version J-03 which DOES NOT HAVE BLUETOOTH! Even though the steering wheel buttons suggest it should. MMCS comes in J-01 to J-06 and only versions above J-03 have bluetooth installed from what i can gather online. After researching this topic heavily and talking with the only company found online that has a conversion CD, i have decided to not bother. Converting to english will deactivate the cameras and may screw up a bunch of other things. It also doesnt help with the radio or navi. Trying to install local maps would require a complete reformat of the HHD system and may cause other electronics problems.
This is what i have decided to do:
A. Deactivate Japanese voice - there is a youtube lesson that works.
B. Have my japanese friend translate important pages for me mostly for climate control etc. I wont be using the Navi so who cares.
C. Use my phone for GPS only.
D. Behind the center console are two outlets, one is DC plug for power, the other is component with white, yellow, red. I discovered if you plug your phone into this component outlet it will play music, videos, and Phone calls thru the MMCS dash system! No need to do a system convert, this is way better and cheaper. You will need a component to aux cable from like 1999. Incredibly i had one in a drawer.
E. Get a frequency booster for the radio since japanese cars are only programmed for stations between 70(?)-90FM.

4. Wheels - i will be light off-roading so i needed more bottom clearance, nothing crazy so i converted to 16" wheels and Falken AT3 all season tires. This gained me 1.5" of lift without an expensive lift of suspension. good enough for me.

4. Ride quality - so far i love it. it is super comfortable and has features from 2007 even new canadian cars dont have today. The keyless system is luxury and the 4 cameras are handy. Upper glove compartment is a fridge! It is very quiet on highway and there are speakers everywhere in the car. The way the seats fold up is awesome and i will be starting a minor camper conversion at rear with just a pull out kitchen drawer system, in progress.

5. The only negative thing i have to say so far is the gas mileage. It is terrible. I got 6-7km/L on my road trip and i drive like an old lady. Yes we were somewhat loaded with gear but only two people and driving slow. Unloaded i am getting between 8-9km/L right now. Unexpected from a 4cyl japanese car.

Stay tuned for my hitch install post.
delica64

Post by delica64 »

Hey!

Glad there are more coming in. It would be good to start a new D5 thread and migrate useful info from the OZ group into it.

Mine is coming with a roof rack installed. No idea what kind. I have my previous Rhino rack from my L400 that I will try to retrofit to mount.

I had a similar issue with the radio navi system in our older van. I ended up swapping it for a double din bluetooth unit from amazon. Worked great. I could plug my phone into it via usb cable and use all my apps on the screen. It mirrored the screen and worked for navi (google maps and another gps one we used)

Thanks for the trailer hitch idea. Could you send me the link for the Curt hitch. I was planning on fabricating one myself. But you just saved me tons of work!

I'm also planning on changing the wheels and tires. I've read on the other forum that 235 70 r16 fit well without any issues. And if you put a suspension lift then you could go slightly bigger. Where did you find rims to fit the Delica?

Look forward to seeing your hitch post and camper build. I have been looking at some really nice european style boot camping boxes that I want to model mine off of.

Post of pic of the van if you can!

Cheers
DLP3000

Post by DLP3000 »

Hi,
Could you send me the spec on the bluetooth unit you bought?

Here are a bunch of pics of my rig.
Trailer hitch is the 1-1/4 but i use a 2" adaptor for a swingout cargo carrier that turns into kitchen cabinets when parked.

Rear drawers and sleeping podium are in progress! hope to finish tomorrow.

i took out the back seats and they are for sale if anyone wants them:)
Attachments
DRAWER.jpg
DRAWER.jpg (82.56 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
HITCH3.jpg
HITCH3.jpg (71.33 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
HITCH2.jpg
HITCH2.jpg (67.9 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
HITCH5.jpg
HITCH5.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
HITCH1.jpg
HITCH1.jpg (91.86 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
WHEEL.jpg
WHEEL.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
rickd
Vehicle: Delica D-5

Post by rickd »

This is all great information for me as I'm thinking of bringing one in, thanks for posting. Any issues with getting the safety inspection done? Headlights, drls, tires etc?
Cheers,
Rick
DLP3000

Post by DLP3000 »

i believe we just had to install rear side lights...importer took care of it.
rickd
Vehicle: Delica D-5

Post by rickd »

I'd love to bring one of these in. I'm having trouble sourcing headlights that dip the right way. Does anyone have a part number or local source?
delica64

Post by delica64 »

Your setup is looking great! Planning on doing something similar in the back.

Here is the double din headunit I had in my last L400. It worked alright. I might upgrade and get something a little better this time around.

Thanks for the hitch photos.

It was the same for our L400, we needed drls and side reflectors.

cheers
Attachments
Double Din Bluetooth
Double Din Bluetooth
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.01.20 PM.png (92.21 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
DLP3000

Post by DLP3000 »

thanks!

here are the drawers and bed almost finished. Just have to trim out the drawer unit with carpet and edging, then strap it into the floor davits.

with the seats down and an ultralight mattress it is super comfy. i am 6' tall and i already took a fantastic nap all stretched out waiting for my son to come out of class one day.

only thing left is a canoe for the roof! try finding one in BC right now...
Attachments
bed1.jpg
bed1.jpg (104.03 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
delica64

Post by delica64 »

Thanks for the photos.

Could you take a close up of your side marker lights? I'm looking to buy a set and wire in a harness so I can make it compliant.

Camping drawers and bed are looking sweet!
delica64

Post by delica64 »

rickd wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:58 pm I'd love to bring one of these in. I'm having trouble sourcing headlights that dip the right way. Does anyone have a part number or local source?
I'm facing the same problem now. Beware if you are bringing in our own delica. Have someone check the lights before hand.
After receiving the van last week, I went to check the headlight assembly and noticed there are no standard certification marks ( DOT, SAE or E stamp)

I've had to order whole new headlight assemblies from Japan that only have a E11 stamp. Expensive to say the least!! This is only rated for UK roads. There are NO LHD headlight assemblies. Trust me I have looked everywhere online in Japan.
Once here I will have to have the RHD projector beam changes to LHD. Something I have read a lot about over the last week. Seems doable albeit time consuming.

The next thing you have to get installed is side marker lights and reflectors. The reflectors have to be the rigid kind. You cannot put reflective tape.

If you get stopped by the police or CVSE by chance and they check your headlight for stamped codes or beam direction and it doesn't comply you could face big fines.

I'm not willing to take the chance now that I'm invested in the van.

Hope this help anyone else looking to import. This import definitely not as smooth as my L400.
bassnailer
Vehicle: '92 L300 Super Duper Exceed

Post by bassnailer »

Hello! I would love to find that accessories cable from '99 so I can plug my phone in. Man, the radio is a real pain in the ass. I've used google translate to navigate that system. And I take out a lot of cd's from the library now. That's been kind of fun. But you're right, the fuel economy is a real let down. I was expecting better. My '97 L400 diesel had better fuel economy. I think my old '92 L300 had better economy, too, now that I think about it. But it is a real nice, smooth ride. Just got back from Pemberton.

Think you can show me a photo of the cable you are using?
DLP3000

Post by DLP3000 »

bassnailer wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 pm Hello! I would love to find that accessories cable from '99 so I can plug my phone in. Man, the radio is a real pain in the ass. I've used google translate to navigate that system. And I take out a lot of cd's from the library now. That's been kind of fun. But you're right, the fuel economy is a real let down. I was expecting better. My '97 L400 diesel had better fuel economy. I think my old '92 L300 had better economy, too, now that I think about it. But it is a real nice, smooth ride. Just got back from Pemberton.

Think you can show me a photo of the cable you are using?
hi, here is a link to the exact cable i am using. the component input is at bottom of centre console facing back seats. i just unplugged them and then plugged this in to my phone.

https://www.amazon.ca/axGear-3-5mm-Audi ... 1166&psc=1

i was also finally able to shutoff the ETC japanese warning and the constant gps. there is a good video on youtibe on how to do it.

yeah all my university CD's are making a comeback!
Bauzer
Vehicle: 2007 D5 Premium

Post by Bauzer »

delica64 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:22 pm
rickd wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:58 pm I'd love to bring one of these in. I'm having trouble sourcing headlights that dip the right way. Does anyone have a part number or local source?
I'm facing the same problem now. Beware if you are bringing in our own delica. Have someone check the lights before hand.
After receiving the van last week, I went to check the headlight assembly and noticed there are no standard certification marks ( DOT, SAE or E stamp)

I've had to order whole new headlight assemblies from Japan that only have a E11 stamp. Expensive to say the least!! This is only rated for UK roads. There are NO LHD headlight assemblies. Trust me I have looked everywhere online in Japan.
Once here I will have to have the RHD projector beam changes to LHD. Something I have read a lot about over the last week. Seems doable albeit time consuming.

The next thing you have to get installed is side marker lights and reflectors. The reflectors have to be the rigid kind. You cannot put reflective tape.

If you get stopped by the police or CVSE by chance and they check your headlight for stamped codes or beam direction and it doesn't comply you could face big fines.

I'm not willing to take the chance now that I'm invested in the van.

Hope this help anyone else looking to import. This import definitely not as smooth as my L400.
I'm not so sure CVSE would pull anyone over, since they focus on Commercial Vehicles. I suppose the Police could stop you and look, but they generally aren't too interested in looking in to things like this.

That said, I have tape with an added LED strip wired to my turn signals on each side. Some adhesive backing to it stays. Inspection signed off for insurance, so I have proof its okay. Fingers crossed it doesn't get me, or whomever owns this one after me, in trouble!

Return to “General Discussion”