L300 Lokka install

Growlerbearnz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W

L300 Lokka install

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Admin: Thread tidied and copied to Technical Reference Library. Original thread is here: http://www.delica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17541

Installing Lokka's (http://lokka.com/site/) front differential locker for Mitsubishi L300 ('87-'94). But first, a warning (thanks to ChuckBlack for pointing it out):

------------------
The position of the differential ring gear in relation to the pinion gear is critical. As long as you put everything back the way it came apart, all the shims and bearings in the same place, neither should change. However, if you're changing the bearings, or you forgot which shim goes where, you'll need to read and follow the workshop manual to re-setup your differential correctly. It's a good idea to read the workshop manual first anyway. It's an even better idea to measure your backlash and check your tooth contact pattern *before* disassembly, so you can confirm that it's been reassembled properly. I got excited and neglected to measure first, but I also have a spare front axle. YMMV.
------------------

I thoroughly recommend obtaining these parts first, but it's possible you could complete the job without replacing/using any/all of them:
(These are the part numbers to suit a 1991 L300 P25W SRPT1, use at your own risk):

Diff side gear shim kit MB185519
Cross pin MB241909
Driveshaft seals x2 MB290013
Diff side bearings MB092348
Cover gasket MB160579

Remove the front differential from the van. http://www.delica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=17677

Take off the diff cover and extract the axle shaft. The workshop manual recommends a slide hammer, but you can also just lever here and tap it with a regular engineers hammer and it'll pop right out. Sometimes the circlip pops out of its groove and won't let you remove the axle- you can push the circlip back into place from inside the differential carrier.
Remove Axle.jpg
Remove Axle.jpg (74.77 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
This is where you're supposed to measure the backlash and, if you're paranoid, check the tooth contact pattern. In theory it shouldn't change as long as you reassemble everything in the same place.

Mark the bearing caps so you can replace them in the same positions. Undo the bolts and remove the bearing caps, then lever the diff carrier out. **watch for the bearing races and shims- keep them on the side they came from so you can reassemble everything in the same place**
DiffOut.JPG
DiffOut.JPG (85.42 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Shims.JPG
Shims.JPG (71.38 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Mark the ring gear, then undo the bolts and remove the ring gear. **When reinstalling, you'll need to clean the threads with an M10 x 1.25 tap, and apply thread lock liquid- stud lock (the strongest) is what Mitsubishi specify.**
RingGear.JPG
RingGear.JPG (64.88 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Using a drift (or a dead drill bit, if you're a bit dodgy), remove the lock pin (it only comes out one way) and the cross pin. (It's a good idea to use soft jaws to protect the diff carrier and vice, but I didn't because reasons.)
LockPin.JPG
LockPin.JPG (79.36 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
CrossPin.JPG
CrossPin.JPG (71.27 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Rotate the side gears to remove them, then remove the axle gears. **keep the axle gear shims on their original sides**
GearShims.JPG
GearShims.JPG (71.03 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Now follow the instructions that came with your Lokka. On mine, they refer to the short axle gear going on the "long axle side, with no snap ring"- this may be confusing, as both the long axle and short axle/CVs have a snap ring: Lokka have confirmed that the short axle gear goes on the long axle, and that they were trying to imply that the snap ring is optional.

The spacers that came with my Lokka had a sharp edge on the inside that interfered with the radius edge on the axle gears, making it impossible to install the cross pin. I've told Lokka about this, and they say they're looking into it.
SpacerSharp.jpg
SpacerSharp.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
SpacerDiagram.JPG
SpacerDiagram.JPG (47.32 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Spacerhigh.JPG
Spacerhigh.JPG (46 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
I ground off the sharp edge so the spacers would sit flat (a die grinder or Dremel will do), and it all went together properly.
SpacerGround.jpg
SpacerGround.jpg (46.73 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
SpaccerFlat.jpg
SpaccerFlat.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Finally, install the cam gears and measure the distance between cams.
GrindCarrier.jpg
GrindCarrier.jpg (67.52 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
My side gear shims were super tight, and my clearances were too tight for the range the Lokka requires. My shims need to be 0.35mm thinner to bring everything into the middle of the range. I'm going to have to order a shim kit- I really should have done that first, because pulling the axle is a pain.
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
winelover
Vehicle: 1991 L300

Re: L300 Lokka install: work in progress.

Post by winelover »

Admin: Edited for clarity.

Was it a PITA to get your bearings off the carrier?
Growlerbearnz

Post by Growlerbearnz »

I use a 2-prong bearing/gear puller to remove the bearings, with the tips of the puller ground down to fit into the small space under the bearings, kind of like this:
W201 differential removal of axial shaft bearing races3.jpg
W201 differential removal of axial shaft bearing races3.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 7396 times
Damn! I grabbed that picture from Google as an example, but it's exactly the sort of dodgy setup I use. There's actually a proper tool available, which I really should buy someday:

images-1.jpg
images-1.jpg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 7396 times
W201_018 using bearing puller to remove ABS tooth in differential.jpg
W201_018 using bearing puller to remove ABS tooth in differential.jpg (41.72 KiB) Viewed 7396 times
Growlerbearnz

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Righto- workshop renovation complete, on with the Lokka install!

Previously I'd run into issues with the clearances- without a shim kit it was going to be irritating to get the clearances right. But now I have a shim kit...
spacerSet.JPG
spacerSet.JPG (64.59 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Part number MB185519. The shims in my kit are 0.80mm, 0.86, 0.90, 0.93, 1.00, 1.06, 1.10, 1.13, 1.16, 1.22, 1.27, 1.33. I'm going to have to use the two thinnest ones- I guess the kit is for bringing a worn differential back into spec.

Now, where were we...

Install the side gears and spacers with new shims, then the cross shaft. Check the clearance between the cross shaft and the spacer- it should be 0.006 - 0.020", and ideally even on each side. (Mine are 0.012"). Lokka say not to worry too much about these clearances, the important one is the inter-cam clearance which we measure later.
CheckClearnaces.jpg
CheckClearnaces.jpg (344.32 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Now install the pins into the open slots in the cam gears, with the nipple on the pin downwards. The nipple will sit inside the spring when we get to those.
InstallPins.JPG
InstallPins.JPG (315.26 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Install the cams into the diff cage. The upper one goes in first, then slide the second one in with the spacer inside.
InstallCam.JPG
InstallCam.JPG (346.43 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Align the cams, then push the pins across into the opposing hole.
PushPins.jpg
PushPins.jpg (331.64 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Wear safety glasses. Install the springs. Be glad you're wearing safety glasses as the last spring bounces off where your eyeball would be. Spend half an hour looking for the spring. Find it lodged in your beard. Install the last spring.
InstallSprings.jpg
InstallSprings.jpg (289.63 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Push the cross shaft into place, and check the clearance between cams. It should be between 0.145 - 0.165". Nailed it.
CrossShaft.JPG
CrossShaft.JPG (82.89 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
CheckClearnace.JPG
CheckClearnace.JPG (351.77 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Install the locking pin and peen the edge of the hole so it can't come out
PeenEdges.JPG
PeenEdges.JPG (106.64 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Clean up the ring gear bolt holes and bolts (M10x1.25 tap), and install with thread locking compound (usually red).
CleanThreads.JPG
CleanThreads.JPG (84.45 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
CleanBolts.JPG
CleanBolts.JPG (46.71 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Reinstall the differential into the housing, making sure you put the spacers and bearing caps back the way they came out.
I prefer to use a paper gasket and a small amount of sealant, but some people just use form-a-gasket. Those people are heathens and I'm totally judging them.
HousingSealant.JPG
HousingSealant.JPG (145.83 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
CoverSealant.jpg
CoverSealant.jpg (109.73 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Finished.jpg
Finished.jpg (104.75 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
Reinstall and test the Lokka as detailed in the instructions. I had to turn the driveshaft manually to engage the auto hubs, but once they were locked it clicked gently like it should.

Return to “Front & Rear Axles”