It's time for a new Delica, but which one?

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

VanVonVan
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 L400 SWB

It's time for a new Delica, but which one?

Post by VanVonVan »

Hello All,

I am a long time lurker, medium time owner, sometimes poster. A little back story I have had my 1994 SWB L400 2.8 Super exceed with the crystal lites for about 8 years, have put a little over 120k on the clock and now am in the place where its time to get a new to me vehicle. Sitting at 340ish kms, 8 Manitoba winters have been cruel to my L400. This last polar vortex really opened my eyes to how it might be nice to not always be worried if my van would start. ( it always did btw) hahaha

Body rust, some frame rust and an older engine are pushing me to look for something else. As an avid mountain biker (maybe more like small hills it is Manitoba hahaha), nothing beats the ability to throw in 2 full size bikes and gear without having to do anything but move some seats around. After some deep diving on the Aussie site I am thinking a V6 deli would suit my needs a bit better, a little bit more power on the asphalt seems pretty nice. I don't mind taking a bit of a hit on a fuel bill, but looking at others usage it seems like its not that much higher than my diesel. I currently average 13.5L/100k, best ever was 10.8 flat ground, highway driving with a tailwind, worst was 16.8 at -50 with a Windchill.

So I guess my questions to the masses are:
Do I part out and keep some things to myself from my old Deli?
When buying (I originally bought in Manitoba from a member) should I go the dealer route so they do all the compliance? I've read the timing belt on a V6 is a bit of a PITA to do so I wouldn't mind someone else do it.
Has anyone bought a deli recently who doesn't reside in BC? and if yes how did you get it? Manitoba is currently at a code red for covid and I am not sure when travel restrictions will loosen up especially to make my way to BC.

Hope you are all doing well and thanks for reading,
Russell
thelazygreenfox
Vehicle: 99 white Hi roof gas Chamonix

Re: It's time for a new Delica, but which one?

Post by thelazygreenfox »

Fuel pump replacement costs on the diesel equal the belt replacement cost on the gasser. Fuel costs are very similar on both engines, based on a Queen Charlottes trip from Vancouver with a gasser and diesel a few years ago.

Buy through the japanese auctions, change the headlights and oil in BC and do the belt change when its convenient in Manitoba. The belt demise is very overdone.
The only pita problem on the gasser is the right rear valve cover oil leak. I dropped my engine 6 inches and changed the gasket myself. Yup its not a big problem but you generally sweat just thinking about the job. All the v6 gasser valve covers leak.

Do you have tools? Are you mechanical? Do you have a garage?.

Change you trans fluid completely and all your other fluids when you get home. Make sure they're all topped up before you head across the country and drive the speed limits.
By the time your deli arrives from Japan the driving ban should be lifted. Its quite an adventure but I've done it 3x and been successful. I'm ready for my 4th deli now.

Contact me and I may be able to help you some more.
thx
Wayne
Wear your mask, it keeps others from seeing the parsley in your teeth
VanVonVan

Post by VanVonVan »

Awesome! thanks for the response Wayne. What is the best way to contact you? PM?

I am pretty mechanically inclined and am willing to attack painful jobs myself. I have tools, a garage and a spouse who'll let me borrow their car when mine is on stands for a few days. I've done the IP seal and most recently my crank pulley on my 2.8 which made me take apart the whole front just to get at it.

Also a heads up check your pulleys, mine had fully separated, luckily I caught it before anything blew up. :o I'll try and post some pictures later.

Cheers,
Russell
VanVonVan

Post by VanVonVan »

Here's some picks of my old 2 piece pulley :shock: :shock: :shock:

I was very surprised to find no other damage.
Attachments
20210314_135718.jpg
20210314_135718.jpg (77.42 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
20210314_135725.jpg
20210314_135725.jpg (61.57 KiB) Viewed 1684 times

Return to “General Discussion”