Locate the Recreation Site

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Re: Locate the Recreation Site

Post by lrp374 »

With all the fires around these days it's getting harder to find a lake to camp at or even fish. The restricted areas are immense. I remembered a little lake I checked out this year that was quite nice but a bit of a challenge to get the boat into. I was drawn to it by it's name. How can you pass up on a lake called Beautiful Lake. The lake is south east of Westwold ( between Kamloops and Vernon ) along the paved Douglas Lake road for most of the way. The few km's of FSR are in good shape and could accommodate almost any vehicle. The site is quite small and has only 2 campsites but the open one could handle several vehicles. The site does not have a real boat launch but several places could be used if you have a small cartop boat, canoe or kayak. I'm not sure what the fishing is like but I've read reports it can be good some times of the year as it doesn't get much pressure. As of today it is still open but there is a fire in the area.
Attachments
Sign @ Entrance
Sign @ Entrance
100_9955a.JPG (102.56 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Overall Site
Overall Site
100_9961a.JPG (157.75 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Site #1
Site #1
100_9956a.JPG (160.89 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Site #2
Site #2
100_9957a.JPG (149.38 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Boat Launch #1
Boat Launch #1
100_9959a.JPG (141.34 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Boat Launch #2
Boat Launch #2
100_9962a.JPG (185 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Route to Lake from Westwold
Route to Lake from Westwold
Route from Westwold.jpg (114.13 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
oilfan9
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1997 Mitsubishi Delica L400

Post by oilfan9 »

Bought my L400 Delica a year ago, and just discovered your thread on this forum. I've really enjoyed reading your descriptions and seeing pictures. I'm a big fan of Rec Site camping, and your posts provide good insight as I prepare for my own camping trips. Hoping to get out somewhere this weekend!!
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Little Bear Bay, I have camped here since I was a kid, a great central small spot on the Island, with great fishing in Johnstone strait. We caught several nice Greenling and rock cod just casting from the rocks this past weekend, including an undersized wild Coho, it was about 4lbs and was released. There is a beach launch, we've used it for kayaks, Aluminum boats, and a small Zodiac we left at home this raining weekend. There is a proper launch near by at Rock Bay for a fee. Several good fishing lakes nearby and an extensive off road trail system at Rye Mt.

Again no Delica, I still hang around - I do know a lot of Delica people

277688075_1058502958067335_4487196049438416253_n.jpg
277688075_1058502958067335_4487196049438416253_n.jpg (86.85 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
277593204_976949796290050_9025661465094832460_n.jpg
277593204_976949796290050_9025661465094832460_n.jpg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
Image Call me BCDelica-less
BCDelica

Post by BCDelica »

Seeing Larrys offer to help thought I'd share a site I like;

Dixie Cove is a short paddle from Fair Harbour, always no one around and a great starting point for trip to Rugged Point or longer trips to Brooks Peninsula.
Attachments
Harbour entrance
Harbour entrance
IMG_8994.jpg (127 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Dinner buddy
Dinner buddy
IMG_8997.jpg (83.73 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Camping on a island in(?) a island
Camping on a island in(?) a island
20220903_084346.jpg (106.55 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Augerpoint Pt, hard to belive that was less than a month ago...just because I can't believe the weather we had
Augerpoint Pt, hard to belive that was less than a month ago...just because I can't believe the weather we had
20221002_070258.jpg (51.22 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

That looks like a very interesting site. It took me quite a while to find it but BackRoads maps GPS does help. I've added a map for those of us who don't know the island to well or have never taken this type of adventure. I couldn't find the second location but it is likely just as remote. You seem to have the "Knack" ( a Dilbert reference ). I didn't even get out camping once this year in the van but did do a lot of day trips to lakes in the area. I've added a picture of my last fish of the year. A nice 20" trout from my favorite lake. Ignore the date as I forgot to set it after charging the battery and was to excited to realize until after I released fish. I was excited as I forgot my net and needed to get it in the boat by hand. Date was really Oct. 14. and I was fishing in a T-shirt @ 4500 feet.
Keep the adventures coming and let us know where Augerpoint is located.
Attachments
Last fish 2022
Last fish 2022
351a.jpg (122.25 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
Provincial Parks
Provincial Parks
Kevin's Camp.jpg (132.1 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
BCDelica

Post by BCDelica »

"The Knack", yes that is a classic reference.

More so since covid, and increased traffic in the so-called popular places in our beautiful wilderness, we work hard at finding hikes and trips that where there are few people. Sometimes they take some time to get to, others are quicker as a result of both being life long hikers grown up on Vancouver Island. Picture is of fishing on Moat Lake, in Strathcona Park, we know of a old logging road and a bit of off trail scramble up a steep sketchy route we agreed to never do again taking maybe 40 mins or less. So many fish in this lake, I friend we took here last year caught a 4 lber just casting from shore, pretty impressive for an alpine lake.

Augerpoint Traverse is a maintained trail, from the Mt Washington ski hill continuing to Buttle Lake, along the way Augerpoint and Albert Edward are there to climb. And we cheat (according to our hardcore hiking friends that complete entire routes like this in a day). We park close to the route up a logging road (that's the other picture), and hike in for a quick over nighter, climb the 2 mountains mentioned, missing out on the over 15 km nice park trail. Plus get to sit down with a mug of wine watching all the ants (peeps at a distance) along the ridge line following the proper trail. There are so many similar ...um alternates such locations all over Van Isle.
Attachments
IMG_7368.jpg
IMG_7368.jpg (153.9 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
20210627_113413.jpg
20210627_113413.jpg (115.5 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
BCDelica

Post by BCDelica »

I, for one, am curious how the fishing has been for Larry!

For the thread, a couple pictures of spots visited the last 2 weeks
Attachments
20230603_114719.jpg
20230603_114719.jpg (76.51 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
20230525_105025-01 (1).jpeg
20230525_105025-01 (1).jpeg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
thelazygreenfox
Vehicle: 99 white Hi roof gas Chamonix

Post by thelazygreenfox »

lrp374 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:10 am That looks like a very interesting site. It took me quite a while to find it but BackRoads maps GPS does help. I've added a map for those of us who don't know the island to well or have never taken this type of adventure. I couldn't find the second location but it is likely just as remote. You seem to have the "Knack" ( a Dilbert reference ). I didn't even get out camping once this year in the van but did do a lot of day trips to lakes in the area. I've added a picture of my last fish of the year. A nice 20" trout from my favorite lake. Ignore the date as I forgot to set it after charging the battery and was to excited to realize until after I released fish. I was excited as I forgot my net and needed to get it in the boat by hand. Date was really Oct. 14. and I was fishing in a T-shirt @ 4500 feet.
Keep the adventures coming and let us know where Augerpoint is located.
Nice trout Larry.
Take Care
Wayne
Wear your mask, it keeps others from seeing the parsley in your teeth
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Nice to hear your still curious about the fishing in the interior Kevin. I'll have to pass on what I've hear and it seems that the water, even at higher elevations, is starting to slow down the fishing. It appears we went from ice off almost to the summer doldrums. I unfortunately haven't been able to get out yet and I'm not sure I'll try. I was diagnosed a few years ago with IPF which makes it difficult to breath as your lungs don't work properly. It makes high elevations very difficult. I've just started on liquid oxygen to help but as of yet I'm not comfortable with the amount I need or the length of time a tank will last. If I can make it work you can bet I'll be out there. If I can't anyone want to buy a Delica c/w boat loader and boat?

Keep sending in your trips Kevin, it's nice to see someone is enjoying the great outdoors!!

Larry
thelazygreenfox
Vehicle: 99 white Hi roof gas Chamonix

Post by thelazygreenfox »

Larry
Sorry to hear you're not doing well these days. I hope you're feeling better soon and can make that oxygen work at fishing altitudes.

My father had an oxygen cylinder he hauled around that i called R2D2. That always made him laugh then choke. I usually got a swat after all that

I've had 3 short trips to my latest favorite Bluey Lake this year. I shared Rampart LAke in one of those trips. At Rampart ice off and turnover was only 4 days apart so you can imagine how that affected the fishing. and my patience.

At Bluey, every day the chronies colour changed and they bit only from 3pm till 7pm. Between 2 days they wouldn't take the same width of black stripe, it had to be very narrow the next day and always size 16 ASB.

Tied in with the winter kill created a strange feeling, wondering to the extent of the killoff. It wasn't till mid JUne that we fishers found the patterns starting to revert to that of previous years. You're right the Doldrums have now returned.

I tried fishing 9pm till midnight over the full moon but there were same numbers showing as in the day time.
take care
Wayne.
Wear your mask, it keeps others from seeing the parsley in your teeth
BCDelica

Post by BCDelica »

Sorry to hear that also, Larry, I am sure some fish will still be around when you're comfortable with the tank in the field.

I have heard has slowed down suddenly in the Caribou. My brother in law is headed up to Bridge Lake this Friday, nowadays, he only fishes Bridge and Sheridan. After reading this week how slow it's been, he is setting up to do some deep trolling and deep chironomid fishing. And is going to pack extra wine.

One would think to fish the Caribou successfully currently one should go fishing in May; ice off is earlier and the heat comes on sooner. Him and I have been staying at Bridge Lake for that week since I was 19, 37 years ago. I did miss 8 of those fishing trips. In recent years we have gone the 1st week of June, but the weather was more pleasant than years past that 3 weeks earlier.

What do you think, should one go early May?

Return to “General Discussion”