Russian Maps

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

Rattlenbang
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: delica

Russian Maps

Post by Rattlenbang »

So here I am looking for good free topo maps of Mexico for my imminent Delica trip south, and turns out the best I can find online are Russian Army maps. The only downside is they are pretty old, and in Russian.

http://loadmap.net/en/m24808
My new novel A Dark and Promised Land has just been released by Dundurn Press. "On the eve of war he is compelled to reclaim her love, setting himself against his people amid a conflict that will form a nation." http://www.darkpromisedland.com/
TardisDeli
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Re: Russian Maps

Post by TardisDeli »

Hi simon.
The old russian maps are still considered the best, by the Royal Geographers society, for all countries that do not have an expert mapping dept. So for africa and other off-road Expedition trips, the russian maps are still considered accurate and are widely used (they were sooo accurate at the time, they are still better than many bad versions since).

You as user MUST find what the magnetic variation is today. Add or subtract that from the magnetic amount at the time the map was printed (sounds complicated, but you just find the numbers once then write that note in your diary: ie if the amount was 15 degrees in 1939 map, and today it is 19.3 degrees, then you just add 4.3 degrees to make it match your compass). That 4.3 difference is due to the earth WOBBLE as it rotates, since earth isnt a perfect round shape. Some gps allow you to go into setups and key in the info once...and also you need to set different defaults in gps as not all maps are in mercator scale, there are many different scales from around the world (not just USA standards). I am not an expert in this, i took an intro course at Overland Expo last year, just know enuf to know how many things to consider before driving a delica around the world (and enuf to know I would hire the teacher to set up my math conversions for me). Also consider magnetic deviation. And the effect of your vehicle metal on the compass. When I taught for search n rescue, while talking i would casually take off my glasses and use them to point to the compass ... and only one person ever noticed the huge effect by my glass frames on the compass.

Of course, I NEVER rely on electronic GPS. They are OK for use in areas with street lights. Make sure you know what your GPS signals to you, when it wants to indicate it has lost itself. some just have a little asterisk that you don't notice, or blink once per minute, or have a different screen (that of course you don't notice ... showing that it has less than 4 satellites to verify location)... if you drive faster than the satellite fixes or drive in valley areas they will show the info from last location and just guestimate. Dangerous.

For off road use in BC I draw the route with a sharpie felt pen on the front window (just put the map on the outside window, held in place with wiper, and trace your route while sitting in drivers seat). Then draw injust a few important waypoints of interest and rivers etc onto the inside window, to look through the glass and follow as you drive. You will be amazed how much your brain can remember the real map while you look through the glass drawing as you drive. And I guestimate timing to the waypoints, so if i don't see that river by that time, I stop to asess the PAPER map. And of course, when the little voice in your head says "I wonder if I should stop and check the map" the answer is YES, NOW.

As for being in russian, there are several lower mainland delica owners who could teach you to read the basic alphabet, and teach you just the basic words (so instead of learning russian tourist phrase for "please send a maid to clean my room" you learn the words for "danger steep cliff" or "boggy ground in rainy season".

Cheers christine.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.

Return to “General Discussion”