Harmon Lake

4x4 trips to Mexico, to the ski hill, or to the local grocery store...

Moderator: mark

bassnailer
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '92 L300 Super Duper Exceed

Harmon Lake

Post by bassnailer »

Good day. It's nice to be back on the forum. haven't spent much time on my computer since I got my really smart phone. Anyhow, I have been thinking about some camping spots for this summer and Harmon Lake came into mind. I haven't been up there in well over a decade. It's been more like 16 years. Has anyone been up there lately and can shed some light on the how the road is? I have been taking my three year old "camping" a few times. And she loves it. But it's not real camping. I was thinking a trip to Harmon would be nice. Maybe a few of us could head up there for the weekend before the end of summer. Thoughts?
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Re: Harmon Lake

Post by lrp374 »

I was by there before the long weekend. It was trailers and motorhomes in just about all the sites. I would say the road must be pretty good. The Camping BC site ( http://www.campingrvbc.com/camping/ ) shows they have about 40 sites in 2 locations. If you want a little smaller group to camp with there are a number of small lakes south which may be more to your liking, lakes such as Clifford, Thalia, Goose etc, which all have smaller size camp sites and usually only have small trailers and campers. Most of these sites seem very busy this year so it's best to have options unless you go mid-week.
Paule
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1997 L300 Active World

Post by Paule »

lrp374 is right, its a car camping area. Further south along the Kane road leads to smaller, less RV oriented lakes - Shea, Boss, Tahla are all nice lakes, though some of the sites are exposed without much cover.
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Post by lrp374 »

If your still looking for a good camping spot near Merritt you may want to consider Plateau lake. I was out there today and only 1 of about 4-6 sites were used. The road is a little rough but only a problem if it is wet. Then several holes fill with water and you need to be careful with rocks. The road would not allow trailers but guys do go in with campers on 4x4 trucks. The rough part is only about 5-10 km depending on route but sure keeps most 2wd units out.

The lake has a good boat launch, nice sites and reasonable size fish. The road sample shows a typical section and the mud hole is the only one I could find until it rains a lot. The lake is NE of Peter Hope Lake and I can give you good directions if you PM me.
Attachments
Boat launch small beach area.
Boat launch small beach area.
plat_001.jpg (123.77 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
Camp site.
Camp site.
plat_002.jpg (185.38 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
One of the nicer fish I caught.
One of the nicer fish I caught.
plat_005.jpg (106.05 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
Typical road.
Typical road.