Failed safety due to lights -Manitoba

RHD-related issues ONLY please (NOT for general political ads!)
muk138
Member's Photo Album: http://instagram.com/marcus_leite
Vehicle: Delica L300 Super Exceed

Failed safety due to lights -Manitoba

Post by muk138 »

Hello all, I’m a proud new owner of a 1992 Delica L300 Exceed.
I am posting here to try and get caught up on the RHD situation in Winnipeg, Manitoba. And more specifically, the Delica situation. I know I have seen at least 4 in the city.

I went to get my Delica safetied on July 21 at a Mitsubishi dealer here in Winnipeg and failed its inspection. This is what the inspector failed me on-

He failed me on not having the right kind of lights on the Delica. That is, all the lights, front and back, were documented for not being graded for LHD roads.

This is the literature from MPI that he based this off of…

"Headlamps-Transport Canada has approved the use of certain “E” coded headlamps in Canada.
In situations where a vehicle is equipped with headlamps with an “E” code and:

1) An arrow symbol showing in both directions (←→) - do not reject these headlamps simply because they do not have a “DOT/SAE” marking; or
2) No arrow symbol, do not reject simply because they do not have a “DOT/SAE” marking; or
3) An arrow symbol facing to the right (→) REJECT as these lamps are not intended for right hand traffic roadways.
Lamps that do not display any “DOT/SAE” or “E” code must still be rejected.
"
*the highlighted text is what the inspector is basing the fail off of

The thing I really don’t get is if you look at the photos I have provided you can see the the left lights point to the left and the right lights point to the right. So what does that mean in terms of what MPI has written here.
(photos of lights and documents https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u8r250o3ct9l ... I63rnMt8Fa all lights are in there respective folders)

I talked to a gentlemen from rockymountainimports.net, to see if there are any lights I can purchase that follow these guidelines. He said that the lights that I have on are actually not the stock lights and they are the lights from a LHD Delica. So they should pass no problem, as they are projecting light in the proper way. He also mentioned that all the guys in BC have already gone through this with their authority. I seems like the inspector did me a disservice but don't have the knowledge to make that claim.

So, does anyone have any advice for me. I am really hoping I don't have to settle with a bunch of lights bolted on my bullbar.

-are these lights legal or not?
-if they aren’t, what is the solution?
-if they are, what is the solution?
-to my fellow Delica owners in Winnipeg, have you run into this?
-what was your solution?

Any and all advice is truly appreciated. :M
muk138
Member's Photo Album: http://instagram.com/marcus_leite
Vehicle: Delica L300 Super Exceed

Re: Failed safety due to lights -Manitoba

Post by muk138 »

Maybe the easiest way to ask for help is to ask if anyone knows the E-Codes that my headlamps need to have to be legal?
Also to Winnipeg Delica owners, could you PM me where you got your safety?

Cheers,
Marcus

Return to “RHD Political and Legal Matters”