Stuck at 100 mile house gas station and wont turn over

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
MeAndMyVan
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 2002 chamoix spacegear d400 diesel

Post by MeAndMyVan »

I was on my way from whistler back to north of Prince George today when after fuelling up in a small town called one hundred mile house on the 97, my deli refused to start or make any noise besides one single tick, i just got a new battery a few days ago and its testing good, got some jumper cables hooked up still no crank, jumped the solenoid starter with a screw driver while turning the key, tapped the starter while turning the key, checked all the fuses and still nothing but an empty tick. Ill be stuck here for the long weekend it seems at the gas station until shops re open.. if there is any suggestions as to what I can do that would be greatly appreciated. I noticed the last few times (not every time but at random) I went to start up and the same issue happened but I put it back to locking position and tried again and fired up perfectly.. my front two wheels are also flashing on the 4x4 when I turn the key and go out when I have the key fully turned trying to crank then back to flashing. Sport also comes up on the dash for half a second.. the rear wheels and all instruments stay lit the entire time, my glowplug sign goes out though. Ive been here for 5 hours and have really cooled off the engine and still no luck. Just pick my van up a few weeks ago this is the second time ive used it to go a few hours. Its drove from fort mac to Prince George, then down to whistler and didnt skip a beat till now :-(
Blacksheeep
Vehicle: 1994 L400 2.8

Post by Blacksheeep »

I'm pretty new at the Delica thing as well, so my advice might not get you far. My van did something similar last year, and it turned out to be the neutral safety switch. So if you haven't tried that, give it a go - moving the gear shifter from P to N (or back to P again) might do the trick.

Although if you're hearing a 'click' this might not be he issue, as in my case there was just silence.

Otherwise, you can also try some of the Facebook groups. People are generally Johnny-on-the-spot with response times there as everyone has a phone in their pocket.

Best of luck!
DeliTan2
Vehicle: L400 Series 1 LWB

Post by DeliTan2 »

As a test, assume the the negative lead from the battery to the bell housing is bad. Do what you must to add another heavy lead from the cleaned battery post connection to the engine near the starter.

This worked for me with the same symptoms.

Good luck

john
izack98
Vehicle: 1997 L400 Super Exceed PE8W

Post by izack98 »

I agree. Sounds like it may be a grounding issue. With some of the dash lights acting up, this points to it possibly being a grounding issue.
Just as a test you could attach the black jumper cable from the negative terminal on the battery to the frame or bell housing or starter where it bolts to the engine. See if grounding that helps. If that works, have a look at your negative battery cable and see if there are any breaks or if it's loose at the connection point on the van.
What was the issue with your old battery?
MeAndMyVan
Vehicle: 2002 chamoix spacegear d400 diesel

Post by MeAndMyVan »

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great info, I gave it all a go but still had no luck. I ended up using my biggest tow to Prince George and got sorted at a shop today. Turns out the starter went, I find it odd since there was no sign of wearing out as it was starting up with no hesitation before breaking. I accidentally drained my previous battery leaving on an inverter for a week (nothing on charge) while I was away, which is why I had just bought a new battery. I find it quite weird why the 4x4 top wheels would flash in this situation. Not sure if there is any morse code to the instrument lights on the dash for indicating whats wrong. I know my brothers old jeep you can turn the key 3 times and it will flash different instruments lights a certain amount of times to tell you the issue so if you dont have a engine code reader with you, you know what’s wrong. Either way excited to be back on the road. It was very nice to hear from all of you so quickly, I apologize for the late response. The delica family takes good care of each other! Super exited to have my van for the next few years, these machines are so damn cool.

Return to “L400 Technical”