Marigold?

Forum rules
Please refer to Site Rule 1.1.1 prior to posting in this forum.
Luisito
Member's Photo Album: http://virilesoulcreations.weebly.com/moon-unit.ht
Vehicle: L300 High Roof

Marigold?

Post by Luisito »

Hi All,

I live in Victoria. After getting a Deli-tune from Butch in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago, I had a fuel leak out of the injectors which don't seem to have been put back in tightly enough. I did my own amateur version of fixing the problem and I seem to have done a fairly good job, except I'm suspecting there may still be a bit of a leak plus I'd rather get this checked out by a pro.

Butch was really good on the phone - apologized for the oversight and offered to take care of it if I brought the van in. However the trip there will cost me $120 anyway, even if the fixin' is free.

So... I either schlep it up to Coombs to see Glen, which is a bit inconvenient as it is a few hours away, or I try Marigold Auto here in Vic.

Now, I've been searching through the site and I've seen that Marigold does not have the most stellar recommendations. Some of these posts are quite old so this may not be the case anymore. I guess I'm looking for some feedback about their service, esp. more recently. I want someone who will fix it, not cause more problems, and who isn't going to charge me a crazy amount. I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

L
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Re: Marigold?

Post by konadog »

Go up to Coombs...
Happy Day!
Aciled
Vehicle: 94 L400 SE SWB

Post by Aciled »

Go to Coombs :M
FredVenne
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L300 Exceed Pop-Top, Pajero Exceed

Post by FredVenne »

Euh... hummm... Coombs! And as they say... once you try Coombs you'll never go back anywhere...
Why driving on well traveled route when you can beat your own path...
-The Mighty Yeti

Fun Long Road Trip on road, dirt and ice - Delica L300 Pop-Top Camper
Fun playing around in the mud and work horse - Pajero GDI 3.5L 6cyl LWB
Best vehicle in all conditions - Subary Impreza WRX
sigurross
Vehicle: Delica l300

Post by sigurross »

I was hesitant to go to Marigold because of the things I read about them on the forum. A coworker of mine with a Land Cruiser raves about them and gave me a completely different perspective. First impression talking to Ray the owner was that the man knew his stuff and was a very seasoned mechanic. Also, he had a bunch of RHD's parked around his shop so I figured that had to be a good sign (or a bad sign really!). So I gave them a shot despite what I'd read on the forum. He replaced both front brake pads, rear brake shoes, bleed/filled brake fluid. On top of that I he discovered I had leaking cylinders and replaced them at no extra cost.

My brakes are great right now. So I really can't say anything bad about Marigold right now. The mechanic that was looking after it before I bought it, on the other hand I'd love to shit talk! But I won't on a public forum.

That said, I plan to queue up a visit with CVI or Country Auto. Just depends were my life take me first. Might be going to Vancouver in a few weeks for some shows so CVI may get a visit. I don't really need anything done right now but a routine check up by an experienced Delica mechanic would be prudent I think.

Best of luck getting it repaired despite were you take it.

- Jason
Luisito
Member's Photo Album: http://virilesoulcreations.weebly.com/moon-unit.ht
Vehicle: L300 High Roof

Post by Luisito »

Thanks guys. I actually bought my van directly from Glen up in Coombs (i.e., it was formerly his van).
after oil
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Post by after oil »

yeah, coombs.. good call. ive heard plenty of nightmares about marigold ...
deli1733
Vehicle: 1991 L-300 94 Pajero LWB

Post by deli1733 »

CC auto is great, keep in mind that Coombs has been working a long time on these vans, not sure about marigold but im sure coombs would be able to complete the work faster and maybe save you some labour money as well. Also a good relationship with a good trusted shop is priceless.
kb&2dogs
Vehicle: 89 BushBunny

Post by kb&2dogs »

yep, Ray pretty much gave us the impression he knew his stuff, even came highly recommended, then we payed him a packet of money to change the belts, fix the rad, etc. etc. On the way home spewed oil all over Hillside Ave. because "someone" forgot to attach a line, first time we checked the oil when we started our trip, it was way overfilled, we blew an engine in the middle of the Arizona desert, because "someone" overtorqued and we snapped the timing belt, and when we brought the van back and took it to him he offered us a discount on his hourly rate to put a new engine in. That isn't even all that went wrong, just what I can think of off hand.

We trucked the van up to Glenn, got our engine and complete satisfaction. Sure it happened a while ago, but it doesn't change the fact that it cost us $12 grand for our trip to Southern Cal. and Ray absolutely assured us that the van was in perfect running order and we wouldn't have a bit of trouble with it. He talks a good story tho.

Go to Coombs, you won't be sorry!
kb&2dogs (one here and one in doggy heaven)
(formerly Kathy Brian Seiko & Tundra)
bryanc
Vehicle: 91 ecxeed mtl gry over black

Post by bryanc »

Coombs ..... pm me if you want details
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

One of the mechanics used to have a real issue with Delicas and their cab-over-engine design (and with my big hands I wouldn't have blamed him). Not that that in any way excuses shoddy work.

So, either that person has moved on or else they've learned to love the Mitsubishi because there is always a Delica or two outside the shop.

My understanding is they originally started as a Toyota shop.

And yes, there was a time when the group used to talk about "The ME" - The Marigold Experience. Sounds like some soft-rock band from the '70s, doesn't it?
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!

Return to “Dealer Feedback, Beefs, and Bouquets”