Electrical sound that mimics revs, tachometer

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
nvanadm
Vehicle: 1993 L300 Super Exceed

Electrical sound that mimics revs, tachometer

Post by nvanadm »

It's been quite a while since I've posted on here. Lucky to be issue free in Ontario :)

I've done some searching for weird electrical noises and issues related to the tachometer but haven't seen anything exactly the same.

My rpm's always hold perfectly steady. It doesn't bump around like other posts I've read.

So my issue is that sometimes, not always, I get a whining/electrical sound that mimics the revs on the tachometer. The sound increases as the revs increase, and when it shifts to the next gear the sound drops with it and rises again as the revs rise.

Any ideas?
Thanks!!
Last edited by nvanadm on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thelazygreenfox
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 99 white Hi roof gas Chamonix

Re: Electrical sound that mimics revs, speedometer

Post by thelazygreenfox »

Matt
Is your radio turned on. Sounds like off station electrical interference. Try raising your antenna to max height.
TLWF
Wear your mask, it keeps others from seeing the parsley in your teeth
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Re: Electrical sound that mimics revs, tachometer

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

I think it could be a ground (earth) issue. Check the wiring from the aerial to the radio and see if there are any loose or broken connexions, in particular to the body.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
nvanadm

Post by nvanadm »

Turning the radio off doesn't change anything.

Adam
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

Post by Big-Bird »

There are some relays that have the ability to switch very quickly and when they start to fail that can flutter or buzz.

I would poke around under the dash and feel the relays for excessive heat or flutter sounds.

There isn't much else that could mimic rpm type effects except a speaker or maybe a piezo-sensor like a door/key chime reminder.
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

nvanadm

Post by nvanadm »

Thanks, I'll have a poke around
Big-Bird wrote:There isn't much else that could mimic rpm type effects except a speaker or maybe a piezo-sensor like a door/key chime reminder.
Ever since I installed 2 new batteries, when I have the keys in the ignition (but not turned) I get a faint clicking sound when the door is open. I think maybe it's supposed to be the door/key chime reminder. Mine has never worked. I have also never had any warning indicator that my lights are on (and still don't have that feature)

I've read that it's also connected to the reverse beeping (which currently works just fine and always has).

I've read there a way to disable these features, but I don't know which plug/relay it is. Does anyone have a picture or very specific description of what I can unplug?

Thanks!
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

nvanadm wrote:Thanks, I'll have a poke around
Big-Bird wrote:There isn't much else that could mimic rpm type effects except a speaker or maybe a piezo-sensor like a door/key chime reminder.
Ever since I installed 2 new batteries, when I have the keys in the ignition (but not turned) I get a faint clicking sound when the door is open. I think maybe it's supposed to be the door/key chime reminder. Mine has never worked. I have also never had any warning indicator that my lights are on (and still don't have that feature)
My does the same thing, though it does sometimes breakout into a full chime, and sometimes something in between, which sounds rather pathetic...
Happy Day!
thelazygreenfox
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 99 white Hi roof gas Chamonix

Post by thelazygreenfox »

Adam
Wow heard the same type noises yesturday & today as i drove around. Sounded soooo electrical but nothing with the radio off. WTF!! Drove around an extra 1/2 hr searching for the noise, thinking it had to be something loosened up on my latest bumpy ride.

Yah , my between seat storage unit was touching the 4x4 shift lever. Go figure.... It sounded so electrical..
good luck
TLWF
Wear your mask, it keeps others from seeing the parsley in your teeth
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

nvanadm wrote:Turning the radio off doesn't change anything.

Adam
This is a stretch: Considering TLGF's post ~ have you checked your ATF or diff fluid lately? Gears can sound like a bad radio/aerial ground.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

Return to “L300 Technical”