Help with serpentine belt issue

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
lizzard
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L300 exceed

Help with serpentine belt issue

Post by lizzard »

Pulley picture 2 showing broken serpentine belt 2.jpg
Pulley picture 2 showing broken serpentine belt 2.jpg (119.84 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
PULLY PICTURE 1 WITH TEXT.jpg
PULLY PICTURE 1 WITH TEXT.jpg (125.99 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
Hello all
Wondering if someone can help here
Just recently bought my Delica, 92 L300 Exceed Diesel. I love it and wanted one for ages so am pretty happy I finally have one.
The previous owner let me know at purchase there was a small valve cover gasket leak and she had just had the oil changed, so I watched my oil level and planned on doing the repair when I did my first oil change.
Well I had some time this weekend so decided to do the change now at about 3500 km as opposed to 5000 km.
Well followed the guide here on the forum regarding the repair (thanks by the way, was easy to follow)
Well got the valve cover off etc. and looked at the serpentine belt, to my absolute horror it appeared I had a torn belt. With further investigation it turns out that it appeared to be a section of a second or old serpentine belt stuck in the area. I checked the tension on the "working" belt and all seemed fine. After the install of the new gasket and oil etc and with the pulley cover still off I started an ran the engine with no issues and I did not appear to have any issues with the vehicle any everything works (AC, Alt. brakes, steering). The pulley piece appears to be stuck underneath a small pulley that can be turned by hand but wont come freely out all the way, I cut of approx. 8 inches which could have got caught in the working belt or pulley(s).
I can't figure this out as looking at it it seems there is only room for one serpentine unless there is a second belt that runs inside of the loop of the main on, is this even possible?

So my question(s) are:
-Has someone just done a crappy repair and not removed a section of old belt or is there in fact a second belt that has snapped
-Is something that I don't know about not hooked up
-Has someone installed a wrong size serpentine belt and just "skipped" one of the pulleys i.e. a tensioner or something

I did notice that the width of this piece is narrow then the current working belt

I have tried to download a couple of photos so I hope the show up

Thanks, any help would be appreciated
Lizzard
vstrom

Re: Help with serpentine belt issue

Post by vstrom »

Dude I think you better just re-do the whole timing belt.. Both of them. I don't really understand how there's a piece of belt there that's broken and the engine runs! Also, it looks like the belt is almost falling off cam pulley at the top of your picture! I wouldn't drive it.. or even turn it over.. until you get new belts on and get that old piece out!

*Edit*

I had to take a closer look at those picture..the broken belt has to be what's called Timing Belt B in the service manual. It runs off the crankshaft and connects to what I think are called silent shafts (that free pulley in your one pic is one of the shafts.. The other is on the other side). In order to replace it you have to take the other, bigger, belt off. I'd replace both.
lizzard

Post by lizzard »

Thanks vstrom
So it looks like the balance belt is the one snapped, no idea when as I have not owned the vehicle long and noticed "no issue" anyone out there have any idea of possible or probable damage to the engine with a snapped belt (belt B). The vehicle runs with no obvious signs but I'm new to Delicas, any answers out there.
Also I now read that changing the belts can be a troublesome issue, thoughts on this and what special tools are needed? I've read some posts out there and I am fairly mechanically inclined but am not a "mechanic"
Thanks
Lizzard
freaky930
Vehicle: currently no 4x4 :-(

Post by freaky930 »

Hey! I can only second vstorm; Don't run the Van and Don't even turn it over any more!! You can run the van without that balancer belt but it needs to be removed completely! When it gets into the main timing belt or one of its pulkeys it WILL kill your engine, end of story... Please do yourself a favour and geht it fixed!
Cheers, Will
vstrom

Post by vstrom »

lizzard wrote:Thanks vstrom
So it looks like the balance belt is the one snapped, no idea when as I have not owned the vehicle long and noticed "no issue" anyone out there have any idea of possible or probable damage to the engine with a snapped belt (belt B). The vehicle runs with no obvious signs but I'm new to Delicas, any answers out there.
Also I now read that changing the belts can be a troublesome issue, thoughts on this and what special tools are needed? I've read some posts out there and I am fairly mechanically inclined but am not a "mechanic"
Thanks
Lizzard
Doing the belts isn't too bad after you've done one. The troubles I had posted about were caused by me.. now I can do one almost blindfolded. It's intimidating doing the first one.

The service manual here at Delica.ca is really good.. read the timing belt section half a dozen times until you really understand it. For special tools, all you need, other than a good set of wrenches and sockets, is a torque wrench and some sort of crankcase pulley holder. Oh, and either a 19mm or a 22mm socket for the crankcase pulley bolt. When you order your belts try to get a new crankcase bolt too, since they're only supposed to be used once. Not sure what sort of cash you can throw at your van but since you have those belts off you can always replace your water pump too.
lizzard

Post by lizzard »

Hey Everyone
Just wanted to post a reply to my enquiries about the timing belt issue. Had finally replaced the belts etc. When I got around to the replace of timing belt "B" (silent shafts etc.) discovered that whomever did the previous timing belt install put the bushing on the silent shaft in backwards, which I m sure resulted in the failure. The bushing has a "angled edge" ( sorry is the correct term chamfered?) that has to be against the seal to allow oil to circulate.
I pulled mine out to discover this was installed backwards and the belts, according to the previous owner, were replaced by a qualified professional mechanic So be aware.
To the defense of the mechanic the Chamfered edge is very "small" and best found with the fingertips or someone with very good eye sight (not me obviously) or a magnifying glass
So be aware

Return to “L300 Technical”