Pulsating / vibrating brakes - check your sliding pins

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Pulsating / vibrating brakes - check your sliding pins

Post by jessef »

If you are experiencing pulsating, vibrating brakes and/or vibrations while driving, a good place to start are the brake caliper sliding pins.

Even if it feels like your tires may be out of balance or the rotors are warped, the sliding pins may just be the culprits.

By design, they will rust and sieze up. It's just the way they are.

So pull them out and check them one by one.

Ideally, you want them to be very smooth with no ridges or rust.

Usually when replacing the brake calipers, if they are a full or partial kit, they should come with the mounting brackets to the spindle and new sliding pins (bolts).

This applies to both L300 front brakes and L400 front/rear brakes.

madmazda
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 l400

Re: Pulsating / vibrating brakes - check your sliding pins

Post by madmazda »

yes I just did mine a while ago because my passenger brake was always on, i found that the bottom one was seized so i got it apart cleaned the inside of the caliper and the sliders really well and used a high temp silicone grease. I decided to do all the brakes this way and haven't had a problem yet..... just be careful that you make sure the little black ring on the end of the slider goes on the bottom hole.... :-D :M :M :-D
pajerry
Vehicle: 94' SWB Pajero, 94' LWB Pajero 3.5L

Post by pajerry »

Does any one know a part number for those? I bent one getting it out and will need to replace it.

Thanks.
'94 SWB Pajero 2.8L ITD, '94 LWB Pajero 3.5L DOHC 8-)
mrdueck
Vehicle: '95 L400 Super Exceed LWB

Post by mrdueck »

Just wondering if anyone has a part number for the pins. I need one for the front and one for the rear on my L400. Are they the same as the Montaro?
Glenn Delwood
Vehicle: 1995 Royal Exceed

Post by Glenn Delwood »

I second the parts question. +1
Also, the one with the sleeve (from the bottom) was missing the sleeve on one of my wheels. It was probably stuck inside. What is it made of and what's its use?
What kind of grease should I use to grease them?
Thank you.
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

Last year I tried to find a caliper bolt for my L300 after the bolt fell out on the highway, I drove (my other vehicle) to every fastener shop in the lower mainland, NO LUCK. I had experts at each place measure it and then phone various suppliers (I verified that each was phoning different suppliers) and I tried Lordco and Princess too. And I got a very nice guy at a delica dealer to unofficially check if the same part was used on any other mitsus in canada or usa, but that part number did not correspond on his canadian database. And I drove the highway where it fell out lotsa times. Ended up getting one from a used delica, but only could get one, so no spares.

This is a problem part. I would be in for a group buy for spare parts. I dont recall the part number, but it was in the russek manual. Cheers Christine.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Post by lrp374 »

I thought this sounded like good PM. The bottom bolt was easy - took about 5 minutes after the tire came off. I have been looking for the second bolt and am now convinced the picture below shows the 'bolt'. I'm a bit reluctant to tackle taking it out. It appears the little rubber plug may house an allen head bolt but any info I've been able to find suggests it should be just like the bottom bolt. Does anybody else have this 'bolt' as the top slider?
Attachments
Top brake slider??
Top brake slider??
100_6536 S.JPG (153.53 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
yojimbo
Vehicle: 1994 Delica L300 - Jasper

Post by yojimbo »

My memory is that you undo and remove the bottom pin, pivot the caliper on the top pin until the caliper and pads clear the disk, then just slide it off the top pin. It probably is an allen head or such in the top pin, but I dont think you need to undo it with the caliper on.
1994 L300 Jasper
1986 Scimitar 1.8Ti
nvanadm
Vehicle: 1993 L300 Super Exceed

Post by nvanadm »

yojimbo wrote:My memory is that you undo and remove the bottom pin, pivot the caliper on the top pin until the caliper and pads clear the disk, then just slide it off the top pin. It probably is an allen head or such in the top pin, but I dont think you need to undo it with the caliper on.
Correct. Just did mine last week. Like yojimbo said, undo the bottom bolt, rotate the caliper to clear and just slide it out.
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Post by lrp374 »

Thanks. It took a couple reads to get through my coconut as I kept thinking I don't want to change pads just grease the sliders.

Larry

Return to “L300 Technical”