1990 Pajero 4D56 timing etc.

A close "cousin" of the Mitsubishi Delica
Timber
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1990 Pajero 2.5 turbo diesel

1990 Pajero 4D56 timing etc.

Post by Timber »

Hi
After replacing the rocker shaft and number 1 and 2 cam caps, I've been trying to restart the engine after it sat for a couple years.

I've got everything together....what a job that is!

I've made sure that all of the marks are correctly aligned, cam sprocket, IP sprocket, crankshaft sprocket, and the balance shafts with their belt line up as well.

The mark on the crankshaft pulley is in the middle of the range of marks on the lower timing cover. Not sure if this is significant?

This is what I've done.

1. I've installed new fuel filter and bled the filter - also bled the main line to the IP from the hand pump.
2. I bled each fuel line to the injector by having someone turn over the engine until the fuel sprayed out of the appropriate line then tightened them.
3. All of the injectors are new and have their new washers
4. The glow plugs are in good shape.

After lots of turning over the engine with the peddle pressed to the floor, the engine would fire and skip, fire, skip and finally it ran very roughly. As long as I held the peddle way down it would continue running on a couple cylinders at best, if that.

Had a fuel leak at one injector leak rail but after I tightened the nut, it stopped leaking.

Could this be caused by a poorly fitting leak rail? The old one got a little bent and was difficult to straighten out to seat against the special washers, which are new as well.

Lots of black soot out of the exhaust.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure where to turn next. Something I missed?

Thanks, Tim
motorang
Vehicle: L300 P25W

Re: 1990 Pajero 4D56 timing etc.

Post by motorang »

Timber wrote: The mark on the crankshaft pulley is in the middle of the range of marks on the lower timing cover. Not sure if this is significant?
Hi,
I don't know your car, but usually there is no "range" but spot on marks, and the one mark is not on the cover but on the engine block. Would recommend to double check that with the correct documentation.
I had issues because there was more than one mark on the pulley set (you see the one on the smaller front pulley - dunno what that is for except for stalling me), obviously the one nearer to the mark had to be used, on the bigger pulley.

This is a picture of my 4D56 L300 engine: the mark to use was on the bigger pulley wheel and lines up with the engine mark. The woodruff key then was in position 3 o'clock with first piston in top dead center position.

Pajero marks from my pajero book:

Andy
Timber
Vehicle: 1990 Pajero 2.5 turbo diesel

Re: 1990 Pajero 4D56 timing etc.

Post by Timber »

Thanks, sorry I didn't respond sooner, I didn't get notification of this post.

I think that I have the crank sprocket marks spot on now. The range that I spoke of is on the timing cover. It has a range from 0 to 10 TDC. Mine is smack in the middle of this with the mark on the pulley.

Return to “Pajero”