annual alberta 4x4 club/groups meeting - calgary

cody c
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 92 landcruiser

annual alberta 4x4 club/groups meeting - calgary

Post by cody c »

Hello Folks, Im new to the forum and don't even own a delica.

I'm actually a landcruiser/hilux guy, but I do really like the mitsu 4x4 variants.

Anyways, I started an account on here as we are trying to organize an annual meeting to coordinate all the 4x4 clubs to address land use issues throughout the province. The intent of this thread is to try and get some of the leads from the mistubishi crowd involved as we are all facing changes that could effect our access. One of the senior members of our calgary land cruiser club (RMLCA) has written the following invitation, I hope we can see anyone on this forum to come and meet us:

Subject: Southern Alberta Four Wheel Drive Organizing Meeting

My name is Peter Straub, and I have been an avid Four Wheel Drive enthusiast in Alberta since 1995 when I purchased my first Toyota Land Cruiser. I joined the Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser 4x4 Association in 1997, and I’ve been lucky to enjoy off road adventures across North America from the Arctic Circle to the Mexico border, and of course, across Alberta from Fort McMurray to the US Border.

With the release of the proposed South Saskatchewan Land Use Plan, it has become obvious to me that the four wheel drive enthusiasts across Alberta, but especially those interested in recreating anywhere south of the Red Deer River, need to organize and become involved to influence the details of this plans implementation. Our interests have not been heard as previous Access Management Plans have been implemented across Alberta, while the quad users, on the other hand, have found that while not ideal, these plans provide much more recreation opportunities by comparison. The big difference is that there are well organized organizations across Alberta advocating for the interests of Quad Community. The Four Wheel Drive enthusiasts need to do the same.

I am proposing a meeting of all Four Wheel Drive enthusiasts to coordinate our efforts, and start on a path towards productive engagement with the government during the implementation of the South Saskatchewan Land Use Framework. The Government’s proposed plan speaks repeatedly about Stakeholder engagement during the implementation phase. I know that our friends in the Quad and Single Track communities are doing exactly this. We must ensure our efforts are collaborative with theirs, but that our particular trail needs are met as the plan is implemented.

The government is holding public consultation meetings during November, and I know that they are having additional meetings with certain interest groups. We need to be one of those groups.

My proposal is an organizing meeting to organize the Four Wheel Drive community interested in trails in Southern Alberta:

Time: November 5, 2013, 7:00 PM

Location: The Austrian Club of Calgary, in the Alpine Room. 3112 – 11 Street N.E. Calgary

http://www.austrianclub.ca/

Attendance: All four wheel drive enthusiasts, clubs, business and individuals interested in the future of four wheel drive trails in Southern Alberta.

Chair: Peter Straub will Chair the Meeting

Agenda:

1. Introductions

2. Overview of Alberta Government Rules and Regulations

a. Integrated Land Management Plans

b. Access Management Plans

c. Public Land Use Zone

d. Recreational Corridors Trail Definitions

3. Overview of the Proposed South Saskatchewan Land Use Plan

4. Review specific strategies needed by the Four Wheel Drive community, Short and Long term.

5. Discuss Best Options to organize our community

6. Decide on Next Steps, Set next meeting date.

Small Donations will be collected at the door to cover the meeting room costs: $60

If you would like to contact me, please feel free to e-mail me at pstraub@gmail.com. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you all on November 5.

Important Land Use Framework Links: https://www.landuse.alberta.ca/Pages/default.aspx
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

Re: annual alberta 4x4 club/groups meeting - calgary

Post by Big-Bird »

SRD is pulling chains again......I battled the last effort when SRD closed80% of the Waiparous trails and then gave back a few small ones 5 years later. Very disappointing result.
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

cody c
Vehicle: 92 landcruiser

Post by cody c »

Big-Bird wrote:SRD is pulling chains again......I battled the last effort when SRD closed80% of the Waiparous trails and then gave back a few small ones 5 years later. Very disappointing result.

Ya, actually our approach of trying to coordinate the 4 wheel clubs and assemble some lines of communication between us has been met by a bit of negativity from some who put in lots of effort unsuccessfully in the past.

But, we got nothing to lose by trying, hopefully we can start something and build on it for the following years, we hope get to see a member of most of the clubs for November 5th, and build on it each year.

If anyone from the Delica group is interested, come one down, we're looking to coordinate events, bridge building or trail building or inventory (drive around and get GPS points) and stuff like that amongst all the clubs, and know how to adress SRD as a group, we're not looking to get commitments or funds, mostly to make contacts so we can work as a whole and share each others projects if folks want to volunteer.
Erebus
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Post by Erebus »

Drat, didn't see this post until now. I would have come out for it. I've done some of the trails in Waiporous and McLean Creek, including ones where I organized the Deli meet, and we had up to 6 Delicas out on the trails. Way in the past (early 2000s?) I helped the 4x4 clubs with the annual trail cleanup/repairs, although I didn't have a 4x4, I was doing the radio communications for the event.

I've also been involved with radio communications for cross-country equestrian events and car rallies, so I have more than a passing interest in back country use.

If you can, let me know of future meetings. Private message or e-mail me here on the forum and I'll get the message quickly. Posting, not so much.

Erebus
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".

Return to “Events - Alberta”