Remembrance Day coffee or tea, anyone?

mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Remembrance Day coffee or tea, anyone?

Post by mararmeisto »

So, it's been a while since those of us on the lower-end of Van Isle got together to do anything. How about a park-and-coffee (or tea) chat? I figure Remembrance Day might be a good day because a number of us will probably have the day off.

I've got the usual thing to do that forenoon, but after lunch, say 14.30h or 15h, I'll be at the Lifestyle Market on Douglas (180-2950 Douglas Street, across from the Canadian Tire). Moon Machine will be parked out front.

I just thought this might be something better to do than sit in the Legion and get plastered. Any takers?
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
delica 304
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 delica GLX

Re: Remembrance Day coffee or tea, anyone?

Post by delica 304 »

sure thing, with or sans uniform??
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

with or sans uniform??
We won't be down Island then, but if we were we'd be there and if we were I think it would be fitting for you military types to show up sporting your uniforms if your feel so inclined. Remembrance Day, after all... Least we forget. WWI, damn what a mess - too bad it turned out not to be the "war to end all wars" Glad I wasn't involved in it (or any other for that matter) - Shudder. God bless all the lads that gave up their futures or sanity in those trenches... :M
Happy Day!
oceaneer77
Vehicle: 91 exceed, 87 porshe 928, 67 datsun

Post by oceaneer77 »

we would love to show up for this...
thanks
Dylan
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

delica 304 wrote:sure thing, with or sans uniform??
I was thinking sans...

Konadog you're right the Great War was supposed to be the 'war to end all wars,' but all one has to do is turn on the television news to see that such was not to be. Sad, really, more for humanity than anything or anyone else, and I don't quite know what more to say about that. :-(

On a lighter note though, this gathering is for the Delicanites. All of them. :M :-D
JPL
k8bloomer
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed Grey over Grey

Post by k8bloomer »

I may come by
Show y'all my new (now not so new) , exchanged Delica I traded back in May - been awhile....
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

k8bloomer wrote:I may come by
Show y'all my new (now not so new) , exchanged Delica I traded back in May - been awhile....
You don't have that pretty little blue one any more?

Hope to see you there...
JPL
k8bloomer
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed Grey over Grey

Post by k8bloomer »

I went from a '90 Exceed blue over white to a '92 Super Exceed - Charcoal over grey. I was sold a rust-bucket originally that had been inspected by a safety vehicle inspector, given a 30 day warning of removal off the road if I didn't get a few crucial areas fixed. The van shouldn't have been sold to anyone in the first place - and I didn't have it fully inspected by an outside mechanic until four months after purchase.
There's my brief of a stressful experience - I think I have put it out there on the new member's strand somewhere when someone was shopping for Delica's and wanted feedback on dealers.....
delica 304
Vehicle: 1992 delica GLX

Post by delica 304 »

k8bloomer wrote: I was sold a rust-bucket originally that ... shouldn't have been sold to anyone in the first place
Aaah, the joys of buying VI.Custom Cars! I lucked out with a solid van. It needed $2k of work from Glen and the boys at Coombs County Autos, but it was money well spent!
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

Just a reminder of the coffee-meet for those in the Victoria-area (and those who might wander through this area). Would be good to see some/all of you again as we haven't got together in a while.

Also, tomorrow is the 90th anniversary of the end of hostilities of the Great War. A symbolic 'passing of the torch' from the last known survivor of the First World War will take place between John Babcock (from his home in Spokane, Washington) to a cadet at the National War Memorial in Ottawa. The torch will be passed from the past generation to the present, and the charge to "take up the quarrel with the foe" will be left to those of us who remain. Read here for more details: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... 6f7f8f77fc
JPL
Golf Cart
Vehicle: 1992 Exceed

Post by Golf Cart »

To The Regiment
By the time you realize that my signature has no real message or life altering words of wisdom, you're too far into it to stop reading until you are finished
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

I'll post some pictures later, but we had: an electrical technician, a carpenter, a marine engineer, a paraglider, a painter and a radar technician. Five vehicles at one point, but a sixth had been there initially (coincidentally buying something at the market and then left). Another 'interesting' vehicle in the lot was a late-70s Ford Pinto detailled in a Starsky & Hutch tribute scheme. And then there was the guy I was talking with about the vans: apparently 'Delica' is pronounced 'crap'; why don't the NA companies make something like these? how can I not support local mechanics? why would I not buy a NAMV? who would make a vehicle like these? who would buy them? why would I buy a 15-yr-old vehicle instead of a new one? and more of the same unsubstantiated complaining.

Anyway, we had a good discussion, ate some excellent food, did a little shopping, looked in each other's ride and then disappeared into the mists (it was North Vancouver-like weather here all day).
JPL
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

Don't let the nay-sayers get ya down Mararmeisto - we know delicas are cool. I was at a meeting the other night and was approached more than once with "Duh, hey I heard ya got one of dem dell-ick-errs, what's it like driving a vehicle that's 60% more likely to cause an axe-e-dent?" I wasn't alone though as there was a RHD Landcruiser driver there for support. There were way more "Coooool, I want one too!" Even had a "I wanted one but my wife made me get a Windstar - it's pretty good though..." Uh yah, OK... :? Looking forward to your pictures :M :-D
Happy Day!
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

konadog wrote:Don't let the nay-sayers get ya down Mararmeisto - we know delicas are cool... :M :-D
Truth be known, I had to keep from laughing in his face at the comments he was making.

He had a fervency which was bordering on religious zealotry. That is, he didn't know why he didn't like JDMs, he just had it in his mind that he didn't like them, probably because someone else had said the things he was reciting. I countered each of his comments with a short response, not letting the tone of my voice betray my passion for the vehicles. In the end, he announced that he was ready to agree that we disagreed on the merit or 'worth' of the vehicles. :? I wouldn't count it as a victory, but neither would I count it as a defeat.
JPL
VIParagliding
Vehicle: '90 Chamonix, '96 SpaceGear

Post by VIParagliding »

mararmeisto wrote:
konadog wrote:Don't let the nay-sayers get ya down Mararmeisto - we know delicas are cool... :M :-D
Truth be known, I had to keep from laughing in his face at the comments he was making.

He had a fervency which was bordering on religious zealotry. That is, he didn't know why he didn't like JDMs, he just had it in his mind that he didn't like them, probably because someone else had said the things he was reciting. I countered each of his comments with a short response, not letting the tone of my voice betray my passion for the vehicles. In the end, he announced that he was ready to agree that we disagreed on the merit or 'worth' of the vehicles. :? I wouldn't count it as a victory, but neither would I count it as a defeat.
Great to meet you and the others today Paul.

I do have to comment, however, as I walked by when you were so calmly conversing with this guy.
Every other word out of his mouth was a curse! My 'crazy' alarm went off and I made sure to avoid eye contact.
But you, you just listened and responded, patiently and pleasantly.

Definite Delica Ambassador type stuff.

Return to “Events - BC Vancouver Island”