Report a bug, or request a feature...

Moderator: mark

PolyTek
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P35W Exceed 5MT

Re: Delica Wiki

Post by PolyTek »

Re: Parts List

The nested link systems is good in an orginizatonal way, but I find it kind of cumbersome because you can't "browse" the complete list, and, if you want to print it off as a reference to have with you in your Delica, you have follow the link to EACH section to print each one seperately. I know I've seen other page structures done in a way that each section is still hyperlinked, but the whole document is still one page. Don't know how to do it myself, but just a thought.

D
The world is my oyster; tasty, yet often full of sand.
Schwa
Vehicle: 1992 Delica Exceed

Post by Schwa »

there should be a way to do what you're talking about, normally it's done with the # symbol at the end of a link, such as the one in your signature and the letters and or numbers that come after it refer to an anchor on that page that the browser will 'jump to' or 'scroll to' once the page loads
EricN
Vehicle: 90 exceed

Post by EricN »

Also look at the Delica FAQ section on this forum, everything is there on 1 page. That is where I took all the part #'s from to put in the wiki. I only built it that way to help me keep track of where I was when I was seeding. Also tried to make it similar to our parts manuals. Not important at the moment but when there is a ton of part #'s listed, it gets a little hard to find what you are looking for. Feel free to change what you like, that is the name of the game with the wiki. If it doesnt work, it can easily be changed back.
vanjuggler
Vehicle: 1991 Delica Super Exceed

Post by vanjuggler »

I have moved the wiki location to a new faster server:

http://socialtext.net/delica

Please update your bookmarks!

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Cheers,
Luke
RichD

Post by RichD »

Heya,

I'm a computer systems engineer and I do a lot of work with documentation, diagrams, etc. Research and organizing information is my thing; basically I write documentation for a living. I'm amassing a serious collection of documentation/media on the topic of Delicas and I'd like to put it online for the community.

I've looked at our current wiki and I think there is a lot missing. I have a lot more information in my personal archive. Also, there is a ton of info in the forum that could be transposed into wiki articles. There is also a lot of info in other sources and forums that could be consolidated into our wiki.

Hopefully without putting anyone off, I would like to nominate myself for the job of maintaining and editing the wiki. Now I know that its a wiki and I could just edit it, but I'm not very keen on the socialtext engine so I've been hesitant. I can do great things with the wiki, but I would start by migrating all the content to mediawiki (the engine that wikipedia runs). I can host it on my existing mediatemple gridserver; there would be no cost at all.

I was going to do this anyway, as a pet project, but I'd like to do it under the delica.ca banner and with the blessing of this site's admins.

Please advise!

P.S. Please also consider me available for assistance with any webmastering. I'm an experienced (18yrs) unix and web apps integrator and if there are any items that require attention (e.g. features broken, upgrades, integrating new modules to phpbb, security stuff, wish list...) I am at the disposal of the club. You are also free to use my mediatemple gridserver no charge for highly-available web & database hosting if needed.
Richard Dagenais
vanjuggler

Post by vanjuggler »

Hello,

Glad to hear about some wiki love!

I currently host the Socialtext wiki. (And I work for Socialtext :).

I have no strong objection to moving the wiki to another service. But right now many people already have accounts and bookmarks to the current one.

Is there some specific problem you find lacking with the current wiki or are you just really fond of mediawiki? :)

Cheers,
Luke
RichD

Post by RichD »

I currently host the Socialtext wiki. (And I work for Socialtext :).
Oops. Sorry. :-)
I have no strong objection to moving the wiki to another service. But right now many people already have accounts and bookmarks to the current one.
We'd have to leave the current one up to avoid stale links in the forum for sure. It would be possible to clean up afterward, but it would take administrative access to the forum's database to do properly/safely.
Is there some specific problem you find lacking with the current wiki or are you just really fond of mediawiki? :)
Mainly just application bias. If I'm going to spend a lot of time on it, I'd rather implement it on the application I have am most accomplished with. There are technical advantages too, like the ability to use the same login directory as the forum (one set of logins not two). I've invested a lot of time getting accomplished with mediawiki so if I took it on this would be my starting point.

Maybe the best idea is for me to carry on with my project and share the results here in thread once I've gone live. I just didn't want it to seem like I was trying to deprecate delica.ca. My interest is in furthering the existing community by adding the resources and skills I have at my disposal to the pool.
Richard Dagenais
vanjuggler

Post by vanjuggler »

What are you sorry about? Your application preference? I don't think this is something to apologize for.

Maybe continuing with your fork is a good path. Although if you do decide to use the existing wiki you can do all your editing in vim (or emacs) :)

(I'm a unix hacker and I mainly edit the Socialtext wikis with vim through the REST API using a tool called wikrad. :)

Maybe you want to give authoring some content in the current wiki a try before you fork it all? If not, I understand.
RichD

Post by RichD »

you can do all your editing in vim
Ah I see you know how to appeal to my hard geek. I can do that in mediawiki too. 8-)
Maybe you want to give authoring some content in the current wiki a try before you fork it all? If not, I understand.
I'll give it another look-see.

I have a whole schema in mind, and a bunch of up-front work to do consolidating a bunch of documentation, so I'm going to work on that in my lab first and then I'll decide where to go with it before I post in the public space.
Richard Dagenais
fexlboi
Member's Photo Album: http://dinoevo.de
Vehicle: -

Post by fexlboi »

vanjuggler wrote:Is there some specific problem you find lacking with the current wiki or are you just really fond of mediawiki? :)
Lack of the current wiki is that you need to set up a separate account (to your delica.ca account) to edit anything. Also the wiki is not included in the search.
I think most of the members don't see no need of a separate platform to host informations and to be honest most of the people don't even know how to use/edit a wiki.
Don't get me wrong, I like sharing information on wikis, but I don't think this appropriate for the Delica community where the majority knows how to use the basics of this forum but don't have an understanding and interest of any other helpful internet stuff. At least that is the picture I have from the members I talked to so far.
RichD

Post by RichD »

fexlboi wrote:
vanjuggler wrote:Is there some specific problem you find lacking with the current wiki or are you just really fond of mediawiki? :)
Lack of the current wiki is that you need to set up a separate account (to your delica.ca account) to edit anything. Also the wiki is not included in the search.
Most of the active members I have talked to see no need of a separate platform to host informations and to be honest most of the people don't even know how to use/edit a wiki.
It is quite easy to make the wiki use the same user base as the forum, but only if they are standalone applications. Socialtext is essentially a cloud solution and so integration is dependant on the features they provide.

Consolidating search is quite possible and again has the same requirement as above.

I would be quite willing to offer my technical help with the site if its desired, although that isn't the motivation behind this particular thread.

As for not seeing the need for wiki... Many people discredit documentation as unnecessary until they see the finished product. :-)

I just want to publish a lot of structured documentation. The forum is not suitable for this purpose.
Richard Dagenais

Return to “Site Suggestions & General Feedback”