Hello

New to Delica Canada? Please introduce yourself and your van!
Jungle Jon
Vehicle: Toyota Tacoma

Hello

Post by Jungle Jon »

Hi Everyone, Jungle Jon here,
Happened across this forum a few weeks ago, and I'm very happy there is a Canadian site for our beloved Delicas now.
Nice to see a few familliar names from the UK and Aussie sites too. Thanks and well done Mark for setting this up!
I've had my van since Mid-January 2006 and she's been great to me. I've had to fix a few minor issues (wet floor and over-sensitive horn) but overall more reliable and less problems than I had in my first year of owning my last vehicle, which I bought new. (LAST time I ever buy a North American vehicle! :x )
Call me crazy, but last week I bought another Delica, due in Canada near the end of January. Super Exceed with 25K, roofrack and all the toys. 8) I guess that will make me the third double-Delica family here? At least until I sell my current one in the spring.
I'm looking forward to being part of this forum, and hopefully I can contribute as much as I have recieved so far; getting local info on these vans is gold! It would be great to meet some other owners to compare rigs sometime.
Cheers,
Jon
surferboy

welcome to the forum jon..

Post by surferboy »

Yes indead this forum and the people that participate on it have been of great help to me, but unfortunatelly, my experience with my delica has left me with a little bit of a sour taste about imports.. everything is an adventure just for the simplest things such as belts and filters, so many different opinions and prices and availability depending on were you live etc.. were to find a good mechanic that actually knows how to work on these vans and thats if you can dig out a good acurate manual for them in english... the importers that i bought my van from took me for a ride and i regret dealing with them, no professionalism what so ever! i believe that the vans that they get are not in the best of shape and although they claim having all the parts and manuals and knowledge for those vans, once you actualy talk to their mechanics, you quicly find out that their guys know just as much about those vehicles as yourself!! as far as parts, well if you want to buy a timing belt for 225$ when really you should pay 72$ 20 min. down the road at an actual mitsubishi dealer yeah, they are real helpfull if you know what i mean... also i find that the fuel consumption for a four cylinder is pretty bad,( i get about 480 kms off of a 50l. tank and thats on the hwy!) ummm thats about 20 miles per gallon at the most...not all that great at all! anyways, i understand that my experience may not be as great as others on this site that swear by those vans and i may have just been unlucky, but the thing is, this forum is the only true helpfull thing going for all of us and i sure hope that you find all the infos that you need on here... enjoy your second van and welcome to the gang!! cheers!
docsavage
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Deliless...

Post by docsavage »

Surferboy,

By your numbers, and my calculations, you are getting 27 mpg (even better in the States). That ain't bad for a heavy, 4wd, brick.

480 km = 298 miles
50 l = 11 gallons (uk)

298/11 = 27 mpg.
surferboy

well, i guess i was wrong!

Post by surferboy »

i don't know what kind of conversion tables i used, i guess i always sucked in math to! whats a mile again, 1.6 or 1.8 km? and what about gallons, are we using imperial or US? i think that 3.8L is a US gallon and
4.2 is imperial? i'm not sure anymore, could you clarify the whole conversion thing for me please?.. thanks
Jungle Jon
Vehicle: Toyota Tacoma

Post by Jungle Jon »

Thanks for the welcome surferboy, sorry to hear of your bad luck with your van, hope things go smoother. BTW 1 mile = 1.6 km

I've been tracking my fuel economy since I got mine, and here's the numbers I use:
Litres to fill tank x 100, divide by Km you drove on that tank gives you L/100km
Take 235.215, divide by your L/100km number to get US MPG
Take 282.481, divide by your L/100km number to get Imp MPG

By those numbers, you're getting 10.42 L/100km, 22.6 US MPG, and 27.1 Imp MPG, and that's better mileage than I've been getting.

I've been getting 12.84 L/100km, 18.5 US MPG, and 22.2 Imp MPG on average since last January. Most of my driving is in the city though. I get about 10% better mileage on my 215/75 15 summer tires than my 235/75 15 winter tires, and my mileage has been horrendous this last week with the frigid weather in Calgary due to more idling and being stuck in traffic.

When mileage is quoted, I never know whether it is US or Imperial. I've been trying to figure out what is the standard, I'm going to start a fuel economy thread on this.

Jon
surferboy

thanks for the formulas!

Post by surferboy »

thanks for those helpfull formulas Jon, much appreciated, i guess if thats the case than my mileage per gallon isn't all that bad after all, but your right though, when people talk about their fuel consumtion, what do they refer to, imperial or u.s? heck why can't this stuff be standardised by now, how anoying, i mean its bad enough on top of that that i am french! how about french gallons!! good idea to start a topic on fuel consumption, it would be good to compare what others are getting based on tire size, climat, highway vs city driving etc... keep in touch, cheers!

Return to “Member Introductions”