new to importing... have questions

Issues relating to the purchasing, importing, and inspection of JDM vehicles in Canada

Moderator: mark

doodah
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 96 Delica L400 Exceed

new to importing... have questions

Post by doodah »

I've just purchased two vehicles from Japan, one a 1996 Delica Spacegear XG and the other a 1994 Toyota Lumina Estima G Type. Both are 4WD diesel.

Toyota will arrive in February and the Delica in March.

I live on an island and wonder how many times I will have to into Vancouver to arrange all the proper documentation and permits.

As I have never done this before what can I expect for charges, upgrades, etc. upon receiving these vehicles?

I have heard that head lights need replacing to meet DOT standards and the head light replacement kits I have seen are around $500!

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Re: new to importing... have questions

Post by jessef »

I'll give you the short version.

I'm assuming the 1996 Delica coming in March was manufactured in the month of March or prior. Your registration may give a later month.

If it was manufactured in April or later, you won't be able to import it into Canada.

If it was registered in April or later but was manufactured before March, you'll need to get a manufacture document from Mitsubishi in Japan proving that it was manufactured on that month.

Onto the importing ...

Providing you have all the paperwork from Japan, you will have to fax a soil inspection form and wait to have it faxed back to you before you can go to CBSA.

Once you have your paperwork from Japan (registration docs, invoice/bill of sale signed, bank documents to prove you paid the amount on the invoice, stamped soil inspection form), then you call CBSA and make an appointment.

Go to CBSA, give them all the paperwork and pay the customs/duty/taxes and then they will fax WWL so you can pick the vehicle up.

You will have to wait 24hrs to pick it up. They won't let you pick it up until the day after they receive the fax from CBSA.

Then you can pickup your vehicle. You'll need an insurance permit or service/dealer license plate to drive it away.

When going there, it's a good idea to have jumper cables, water/coolant and engine oil.

Now you can drive away.

Next comes the compliance work to pass OOP (out of province inspection).

The following will need to be done :

If anything is not acceptable, you fail the inspection and have to get it re-done.

-Headlights changed to E-code LHD
-tires will need to be changed to DOT/load rating and have to be in good condition 70%+ tread and no cracking (99% tires coming from Japan are junk and they may look good but upon close inspection - they are cracked in between the tread blocks).
-brakes - rotors/calipers/pads will be checked (rotors and brake pads will most likely need to be replaced)
-suspension - balljoints, tie rods, swab bar links/bushings, shocks all will need to be checked. Most of this stuff will most likely need to be replaced.
-side reflectors will need to be installed
-day time running lights will need to the installed

That is to pass inspection.

For the rest, you'll likely need new batteries, fuel/ engine oil/transmission filters and fluids, possibly glow plugs and injection pump main seal. You will definitely without question need to replace the radiator/coolant expansion bottle/thermostat/waterpump.

It's an experience and can be quite fun.

Just don't expect to get it off the boat and everything is honky dory. Many people expect to put in a few bucks and have it drive like a new vehicle. What they don't know is the things that can be detrimental to the engine/running gear if left ignored or unchecked.

This site is a valuable resource for Delica's and importing. I suggest if my list above doesn't answer all of your questions, to spend some time searching in the import section.

Gas or diesel model ? :M
dah_hunter

Post by dah_hunter »

Here is a Guide for how to do customs etc..

http://forums.jdmvip.com/jdmvips_update ... apan-698-t
Its all about the Right Way:
http://import-era.com
nvanadm
Vehicle: 1993 L300 Super Exceed

Post by nvanadm »

jfarsang wrote:Gas or diesel model ? :M
doodah wrote:Both are 4WD diesel.
doodah
Vehicle: 96 Delica L400 Exceed

Post by doodah »

one more thing... I sent my payment via bank transfer, but I did it on-line via President's Choice.

I do not have any receipt only an indication of a removal of funds via bank transfer on my bank account records. There is no indication of to whom the transfer was made, etc.

President's Choice says they have no records other than that to send to me regarding the transfer.

My question is "am I going to have problems when I present the bank account records as proof of payment.

I've asked my exporter for another invoice indicating that he received the funds. Hopefully this will suffice.

Any advice?

Return to “Import, Inspection & Registration”