Newbie veggie oil question

WVO filtering, WVO conversion information, biodiesel fuel issues, etc.

Moderator: BCDelica

Spacetractor
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Delica l300 1992 diesel

Post by Spacetractor »

So I bought a 92 Mitsubishi delica l300 last November, and with a wvo conversion. The tank is stored inside the van, and I removed it, because I was doing a camper van conversion. I’m almost done with the build now, and I’m ready to install the tank again, do I need to bleed the lines, when I connect them again? Or am I good to put the wvo in and go? Also the tank had foam around it, so you know what the purpose of that was? It is pretty beat up, so I don’t think I can use it again, should I get new foam to put around it? It does not have a tank heater in it.
Thank you!
-Thomas
Ralph in Winnipeg
Vehicle: 94 Strada

Post by Ralph in Winnipeg »

The foam would for insulation. WVO doesn't flow well at lower temps. Oil that goes back to the tank will be warmer from passing through the IP and near the engine. If you're only planning on using WVO during the summer then the insulation is not important. Then again if you're only going to run WVO in the summer, you don't need a two tank system.

Ralph in Winnipeg
Spacetractor
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Delica l300 1992 diesel

Post by Spacetractor »

Thank you for the reply! Do I need to bleed the fuel lines when I put the tank back in or would I be good to go once the lines are connected again?
vanman
Vehicle: 1982 mercedes benz 240d

Post by vanman »

I am glad to hear you're still rolling in that van and you're going to get it on veggie oil again!

Here's the deal with that system:
You absolutely need two tanks and the fuel needs to be heated properly. The injector pump on that van is a rotary pump and the rotary head on the pump will shear off if you try to run cold oil through it.

Keep the insulation on the tank, it will keep the oil warm. Just figure out a way to cover it so it looks nice.

Bleeding the veg fuel line procedure:

Van is off.

Activate veg control module

You should do this when you hook your tank back up.

Put veg oil in veg tank.

Disconnect the vegetable oil line at the 3way tank selector valve.

Disconnect power supply to tank selector valve.

Put a pan under the line.

Switch the vegetable oil switch to on on the control module.

This will energize the veg oil lift pump and will prime the veg oil line. Keep the pump on until clear, air free fuel comes out the line.

Turn pump off.

Connect veg fuel line and power supply to three way valve.

Feel free to come up and I will run you through operating the veggie oil system. It works really well in the winter, but there are ways you can operate it to exercise more care for your van.

Have you found a source for veggie oil around here?

I bought a truck and am going to convert it, but I am a bit behind the eightball on oil collection and filtration. Thus I am looking for an oil source in the Nelson/Kootenay area.

Return to “WVO and Biodiesel”