Delicat' Pajero WVO conversion

WVO filtering, WVO conversion information, biodiesel fuel issues, etc.

Moderator: BCDelica

delicat
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

Hey guys,

I might not be as active on this forum as I used to be, I might no longer have a Delica but I still have a Pajero which I've converted to WVO last winter. I still have a few little things to complete before calling it a done deal but since its been working without a glitch for months I figured I might as well post it :)

As with all my conversions I continue to use PlantDrive products, I like the quality, price, customer support and the fact that its a local company.

Part used:
VM2 heated filter
Two 3 way valves
Hoses and fitting sourced locally
VDO fuel gauge
Auber temp gauge
Aluminum tank built by Lauren

Parts not yet installed:
Vegtherm
Walbro in-line pump

The basics:
I started by replacing my dual battery set up by a single high quality battery which gave me the space to mount all my components in one corner and best of all its right by the IP so super fast purge and no lost heat.

Most previous conversions I've seen mount their veggie tank inside. I can understand it as space is a premium underneath but it wasn't an option for me. This Pajero is the family vehicle, grocery getter and not an off-roader (I got my Patrol for that and a new cool project under construction - more to come on this).

My first though was to ditch the stock tank and rebuild a larger one in the same space that would be split in two section (3/4 veggie & 1/4 diesel). This would be awesome but time and cost put that idea aside. Next option is what I did... Use the stock large tank for veggie and build a small 30L aluminum tank mounted alongside the driveshaft. It's not like I use much diesel anyway :)

If you plan on doing something similar and plan on going offroad I would suggest to build the tank smaller, around 20L so it doesn't hang too low. As is, mine is at the same height as my rear diff.

Pictures:

This one shows where all the gears are located.

This shows the valves. Disregard the marine hand pump, I was gonna use it in the initial start up but it wasn't needed.

This is where the tank is mounted. There's a lot of slope on it, just in case my wife decides to venture in deep snow. That's also where the pick up is located. It hasn't been an issue but I could have flatten the lower rear end for a bit more clearance, maybe loosing 5L capacity or so.

Where I mounted the veggie switch, fuel gauge and water temp gauge. The temp sensor is directly into the VM2 so once I reach 165 or above I know I'm good to switch.

That's about it. I still don't have the Vegtherm nor inline pump and its been working great as is but more heat and flow can't hurt... As for the tank filler that's not as good as I hoped as the rear fender walls are doubled and it'd be an issue to mount a filler near the stock one. So it's right behind the rear tire into the wheel cavity. I just need to install a rubber flap to cover the filler cap so it doesn't get to dirty...

As for next project, unfortunately it won't be a RHD but it will be larger and still run veggie ;)

Cheers
Mr. D
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
pajerry
Vehicle: 94' SWB Pajero, 94' LWB Pajero 3.5L

Re: Delicat' Pajero WVO conversion

Post by pajerry »

Looks awesome! I wonder how big of a tank could be fit under the shorty? Maybe I should figure that out and get you a new WVO customer! I would already have a tank in the back, but couldn't handle the potential mess and smell.

Based on the tanks you've built/seen, how much do you think a custom 3/4 split tank would cost David? Could probably build it larger/higher than stock. I know alot of guys mod the stock tank to raise it a couple inches for clearance.
'94 SWB Pajero 2.8L ITD, '94 LWB Pajero 3.5L DOHC 8-)
delicat

Post by delicat »

I'd be curious as well to know how much larger of a tank could be fitted at the rear. Maybe 120L? Only issue would be added weight behind the rear axle and maybe some lost clearance although that could be addressed with a sloping tank. As for price I'd guess anywhere from $500-900.
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

ms.reel
Vehicle: 93 delica chamonix

Post by ms.reel »

Hi Delicat,
I am wondering what battery you used in your Paj. I am looking for a replacement (single) but I am not sure my last one was very good, so I am hoping to upgrade. I have a '93 2.4L 4 door Paj and the red lead cover says 80A.
Thanks in advance.
Erica
delicat

Post by delicat »

Hi Erica

If you're from Vancouver area I would suggest you stop at Edmonds Batteries in Burnaby. They have good choices, good prices and more importantly realky good after sale customer service.

If that's not possible for you then a good AGM battery (or 2 if you have the winter package). Just get the largest one that can fits. Your battery should last realky a good 5yrs, if it doesn't then you might have some electrical issues (alternator, elective drain...)

Cheers
David
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

Return to “WVO and Biodiesel”