Stuck with diesel in the states... any ideas?

WVO filtering, WVO conversion information, biodiesel fuel issues, etc.

Moderator: BCDelica

BobTheRussian
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Green/Silver L300 High roof

Stuck with diesel in the states... any ideas?

Post by BobTheRussian »

Having some issues at the moment, just had to run a full tank of diesel through Montana and maybe all the way to Vancouver this week. I think my fuel pump isnt working.

I switch to diesel and then have the engine bay open whilst driving, PUMPING the diesel fuel filter was the only way to stay above 60km/h on the highway and I couldnt find any other leaks or issues with the system... Ideas?
It performs until higher speeds then it almost seems as if the tranny isnt happy because its jumping down gears and seems as if its just not getting the fuel... or airs getting in somewhere, but Im pretty sure its not. I guess I have to locate the fuel pump and check it somehow. Should be good though as its brand new from CC autos in November...

Any ideas appreciated.

Dunc
Mr. Flibble
Vehicle: 1995 L400 Royal Exceed

Re: Stuck with diesel in the states... any ideas?

Post by Mr. Flibble »

What makes you certain air is not getting in? Certainly sounds like that is the most likely thing, I was going to say fuel filter, but you can keep pumping to keep it going, so I would expect air is getting into the lines somewhere. That, or as you have mentioned, your fuel pump could be dying. I would expect air first, but it could be coming in the pump at the seal.
Canadian living in Washington USA
BobTheRussian

Post by BobTheRussian »

I dont think its air because all the seals look good...

She ran better with a full tank of diesel than a quarter tank, with no pumping fuel through the fuel filter... so I suspect thats gravity aiding the fuel pump.

When on WVO it was even slower though... maybe just because the tank is further away and it takes more to pull it through...

Does this mean its likely the fuel pump? Should I take it out and look at it? (Looks like an expensive replacement I couldnt get in the states easily)

What if I buy an inline fuel pump and somehow squeeze it in before the injectors with a switch? Is that rushing ahead?
How can I check?
Is there any common things that you have to fix on the fuel pump?
Is there only one fuel pump?

Aaaaaaah! Im not really stressed but I gotta get back to Canada soon and it would be nice to get this out the way.

Thank you everyone for the support from far away! :-) Dunc
Manitoba deli
Vehicle: 94 l300, 94 l400 lwb, 97 l400 S II

Post by Manitoba deli »

I'm going to assume that you have a seperate filter for your veg system, so it would seem unlikely that both filters have plugged at the same time.(if you have only one filter for both systems, I would start with changing that) I would check all your hose clamps and fuel lines between your fuel filters and the injection pump. If those are good, check your return line from the injection pump for kinks or pinches. A return with too much restriction can cause this. If this is all good, I would suspect the vane pump in your injection pump is worn (this provides the suction to the injection pump). These will wear prematurely if you are trying to suck oil that is too thick, or too far. If this is the case, a small inline electric pump just before the injection pump should get you home. I would recommend one that was designed for a carburated engine, as they are usually in the 5-9 psi range. One for fuel injection will be for 40-80psi which is too much. Hope this helps, kind of hard to diagnose and fix from here. Hope something from here helps you.

Jason
vixentd
Vehicle: vixen td

Post by vixentd »

pick up a 1985 Lincoln continental fuel pump for the 2.4 diesel. This pump was designed to pump diesel and also has a built in check valve. It is an inline pump and can mount easily.
Mr. Flibble
Vehicle: 1995 L400 Royal Exceed

Post by Mr. Flibble »

Be careful adding in an inline pump. This may solve your issue, but it could also create a situation where the engine can't be shut off! You don't want a runaway diesel.

So, if you know you can disable the added pump, then go for it. If not, be careful.
Canadian living in Washington USA
after oil
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Post by after oil »

in order to fully rule out air, or other non IP related problems, run a hose from a clean jerry can or bottle of diesel directly to the IP.
Manitoba deli

Post by Manitoba deli »

Afteroil's suggestion is a good one, and I would use a new piece of hose from the jug to the injection pump. An old hose can develop small cracks and seep air. Adding an inline pump will show this by the faulty hose always appearing wet. You won't have to worry about the engine running away with a lift pump, unless your fuel shut off solinoid is already faulty and you are having difficulty turning off your engine, or if you use a pump that has way too much pressure. Just wire the pump so it is on/off with the key. You may also have difficulty getting parts for a 85 lincoln with the 2.4td. It has the same engine as my BMW 524td, and vixentd's Vixen motor home(guessing that's what the username refers to) My BMW had an in tank electric pump, when it crapped out, I replaced it with a princess auto special. an inline pump for carburated gasoline engines. They are low enough pressure, and high enough volume. Not a huge expense either. Let us know how you are making out.

Jason
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Afteroil's suggestion is a good idea. Clear hose that the plumbing stores sell sized to fit snug on the IP fitting and a clean 2 L pop bottle work like a treat as a test fuel rig.
Image Call me BCDelica-less
BobTheRussian

!

Post by BobTheRussian »

There is one filter for diesel and one filter for oil so this seems to rule out the filters being the issue, yes.

I went for the in line pump and a switch. Seemed to help a little bit but definitely not solving the problem.

So finally... (Thanks everyone for these ideas!) I tried some nice fresh diesel in a clear container with a clear hose going straight to the IP...

After a bit of air got out from connecting the hose, she was idling fine as usual... but still really sluggish; same problem, only revving up to 3000 and pushing 4 sometimes. Wasn't going to take it out for a drive like that but that shows its not the transmission if its still not revving like it was when in park...

I think it might be the turbo? Haven't heard that thing for a while... is this likely?
L300s seem underpowered as it is so it would probably have an effect like this?

But the test shows its not the oil/fuel system up to the IP... and the in-line pump isn't solving the problem. I had all the hoses and preventitive maintenence done at Coombs in the fall, it was looking grand in the engine bay.

This is interesting... and also stranding me quite a few miles from home. Weather is awesome though- Im getting a mad sunburn in Missoula! 8-)

Is the turbo electronic? There might be a few odd wires not plugged somewhere?

Theres a bit of an oil leak under the drivers side next to the oil pan further on the outsie of the vehicle. Is this the turbo? Its hot out and im running 5-40 still... Maybe an oil change to 15-40 would help, or rebuild/replace the turbo when I get to Vancouver? AAaah! :-D
Manitoba deli

Post by Manitoba deli »

If your turbo is not working, you should see excessive black smoke, and I don't think pumping the primer wold help any. Anyways, you can check to see if the actuator arm is still attached to the turbo wastegate. These have been known to come off and it causes severe loss of power, but also lots of black smoke. From the underside of your van, follow the exhaust pipe up to the turbo. you should see a small rod about 1/8" in diameter, the bottom of this rod should be fastened to a small lever that controls the wastegate. The little cotter pin that holds it on often shears off, and the rod will just be hanging there. Still having trouble trying to figure out how pumping the primer helped, but a lift pump doesn't.

Jason
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

Hi Bob, here's a couple wierd ideas that have worked for my L300 (I just add 1/3 WVO into diesel tank, only when weather above 10 celcius/ 50F).

Am assuming you have L300, since you mention driving and pumping with the engine cover up, can't do that in an L400.

Hmmm, well I am glad to read you had it serviced at Coombs, so that means system WAS good, what have YOU changed? Phone Glen to chat? Remember Glen (and Dad Graham) will cheerfully mail you parts (that they test before packaging to ensure working), via Greyhound ground is fairly cheap.

Changes you might have made ... alcohol and esters from Biodiesel (not wvo) can rot the fuel lines of pre 1993 vehicles, and rot the gaskets etc.

First, change air filter. Yup, true. when clogged air filter, van runs rough, no guts, have to really press fuel pedal. To test (assuming you have no spare), remove air filter, put back bottom housing, drive around block see if better.

Second, the fuel pump housing where you manually pump it has a locking thingy, turn the top cap to tighten / loosen it (it enables you to pump it manually), but if it is open then the air / fuel ratio is rotten. There is also a small set-screw on the fuel pump to bleed air, check it is tight.
Fuel pump normally lasts 2 years on diesel before needed replacing. Change the fuel pump filter, maybe its got a bit of crud clogging.

I once had some crud blocking fuel line, before the fuel pump, gave same symptoms you mention. Maybe was a french fry in my WVO. Disconnect the input lines from fuel pump, put lines into jar or tin, push hoses down as low as you can so gravity dribbles fuel out of line. Reattach inputs. Then disconnect the output lines, try the gravity dribble.

Injector pump, was it rebuilt (ie the rubber gaskets etc). If it was rebuilt here, chances are that IP is NOT yr problem. Best not to let an inexperienced person rebuild it, some tiny parts can be inserted backwards, ooops. Bad IP gives black smoke on start up, very rough when starting, AND black smoke while driving (versus grey smoke). Check the very bottom of the IP, there is a fitting on the bottom with a tiny black rubber 0 ring (maybe half inch across), it dies with age (and will give greyish smoke out of exhaust). Yeah, as if you can watch the exhaust smoke while driving one handed, pumping the fuel with other hand, and trying to see over the engine seat cover.

So, if your temperature is warm, then its not the fuel gelling, nor the temperature sensor (for startup, it checks coolant temp, is the source of the "double clicks" that you hear on when first driving away on cold mornings).

Hope one of my ideas might trigger you to think of something else.

You are lucky, your other responses here are all from great delica resources. BC Delica who was one of the very first delica owners in BC, and among first wvo conversions, he is now working in Thailand. After Oil is a friend of his, who has heaps of veggie conversion experience. Manitoba Deli is great at thinking outside the box, as their arent a lot of Deli's in Manitoba so he had to do lots of his own troubleshooting. VixenTd and Mr Flibble are super at the mechanical stuff. So, take all their opinions seriously, they are great resources. Me, I just listen to everyone, and our backyard is the workshop for lots of local delica's including several wvo. I don't know your wvo system, but if it is Plantdrive, contact them as Ed knows all sorts of tricks.

Keep in touch, just ask the group what you need, if someone needs to phone around for parts to send to you, etc. We're actually driving down to Flagstaff early next week if you're really stumped.

IF you go to a garage in USA, Don't go to a general garage, they get scared by the steering wheel on the wrong Side. Go to a diesel mechanic only, as it is your diesel system that's wrong, not your mechanical system. The L300 engine is the 4D56, similar to the american Dodge Raider engine, or the Mighty Max pickup truck. Also, Fuso trucks are related to Mitsubishi, and Fuso commercial small trucks are all over, so look for a Fuso diesel repair shop. Basically, you want a diesel technician who learnt his trade prior to 1991, that's when they started doing the OBD computer testing thingy -- that killed the troubleshooting brain cells.

Best of Luck, Christine.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.
BobTheRussian

Post by BobTheRussian »

First of all....

THANK YOU!

I really really appreciate all the help! Starting to realise what an awesome community of Deli owners there is on here.

I made it to some truck stop in Post Falls.... 3 hours to the boarder. Could be worse!

The in line pump helps stay at 65-80 on the uphills but something is bad changing to worse. Gonna have a look in the AM and think about all the new suggestions.

Im not giving up- I love this van and it will work! I'll check in soon.

8-)
BobTheRussian

Post by BobTheRussian »

Check this out. Looks like the arm is still attached, but that square section- is that supposed to be open like this?
Attachments
turbo.JPG
turbo.JPG (150.7 KiB) Viewed 7679 times
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Looking at that picture, I see an awful lot of oil all over the turbo, the mount &c., have you checked your oil lately? Is your oil filter on tightly? That looks like a lot of oil.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

Return to “WVO and Biodiesel”