Seat swap???

Mitsubishi Delica Camper vans, lift kits & other Delica Accessories!

Moderator: BCDelica

twisted
Vehicle: 92 Super Exceed

Seat swap???

Post by twisted »

Hi, I am getting my Delica soon but was wondering if it is posible to swap out the first row buckets and install the bench seat? how hard would it be to find a bench? I have four kids and the more seats the better!
delicat
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Re: Seat swap???

Post by delicat »

Keep in mind that the front bench doesn't have seat belt for the jump seat (the one closer to the sliding door that folds to it's side)...

I'd keep the captain chair, room for 7, your 4 kids still have the luxury to move around! But that's just me...
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

I agree with delicat: two on the bench seat, one each in a captain's chair (spun around to face back if so desired), lots of room for four children. The 'jump' seat doesn't have a belt and therefore cannot be used in Canada.

After a while, they'll sort out the pecking order as to who gets to sit where each time they get into the van - my four did and they're all teenagers!
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
coaxial

Post by coaxial »

I third the vote to keep the captain chairs, they are great, no one fights over shotgun in my van everyone wants a comfortable & swivelable captain's chair.
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

The boys above make good sense; but if your interested there are two Delica's on there way to Powell Riverites whom want captain chairs instead of the mid row benches (their vans will come with).

Cheers
Image Call me BCDelica-less
Adam
Vehicle: RIP WVO '91 Super Exceed

Post by Adam »

4th vote (or fifth if you count BCDelica, although I'm not sure he gave his preference) captain's chairs. I love the swivel action, especially when we are on the ferry. I've got 3 kids and they all fight over the captain's chairs.
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

My preference, forget the bench (Adam you've seen my van, it's never had the bench in). Who'd you think sold the two Powell Riverities on captain chairs in the first place.
Image Call me BCDelica-less
patty
Vehicle: delica chamonix

Post by patty »

Im bench all the way! SO GOOD, flips both ways like a limo and if your real drunk you just pass out right across em!
The Pinkfingers
Vehicle: '94 Exceed

Post by The Pinkfingers »

You probably didn't know you were setting up a poll. (Plus the fact that no one has answered the question about whether a bench can swap for two captains in a plug and play way, and I don't know the answer to it either).

That being said... I have 5 kids, and we were trying to discern what would be better for our family - bench or captains. We put a down payment on a van with captains seats (it's in Japan, or hopefully getting on the boat). We looked at both - extensively.

The kids liked the idea of actually having 8 seats, so a friend could come along. But yes, there is no seatbelt. When we asked, one dealer said his mechanics don't think after-market seatbelts in the delica is a good idea - he actually said they would rip out too easily. Another dealer (this was talking about a Toyota Hiace which comes with lap belts but no shoulder belts) said they could install shoulder belts for $250 each. But the jump seat would have to be a lap belt (because you can't anchor the shoulder belt to the sliding door), but I don't know where you'd get a good anchor point on it.

In the end we decided on captains chairs for the following reasons:
1. comfier (more butt space)
2. more floor space
3. we plan on keeping the delica a long time, and when they are older teens they will appreciate the captain chairs more than being squished in a bench seat
4. now that they are young, I prefer child seats to be in captains chairs than a bench seat
5. it's no different than our seating arrangement now, and it's worked for us so far

Hope that helps! :-)

Of course, if heavy drinking is a part of your future plans, you may want to take Patty's advice...
Last edited by The Pinkfingers on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

the question about whether a bench can swap for two captains in a plug and play way
I have yet to take a good look at an 8 seater, however my understanding is that it is not as simple as one might like to simply "swap" the 2...
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

The Pinkfingers wrote:...That being said... I have 5 kids, and we were trying to discern what would be better for our family - bench or captains...
Five kids? You need a roof rack!
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
GREENME@U
Vehicle: Delica star-wagon

Post by GREENME@U »

patty wrote:Im bench all the way! SO GOOD, flips both ways like a limo and if your real drunk you just pass out right across em!
Im with Patty, but of course being 21 i dont have kids so i dont have any problems with seating and i like how i can make a bed! but... its not so nice on the back.... but it works realy good after many beers! but I think if i had kids it would be all about safety i hope you guys make the right choice whatever it may be i know im not much of a help. Have you guys seen the L300 crash test on youtube? it not so good.....sad but true one star is all it got......have a look.....the front seat is bad news.... i my self cant c hiting a brick wall a 60km ......nock on wood!
Cheers! DRIVE SAFE!
delicanewguy
Vehicle: 92 Delica Chamonix

Post by delicanewguy »

Well for my two cents I have to go with the bench seat as well. I do enjoy flipping it so we can use a table and play card's,eat...etc. Its also nice that,in a pinch, you can use it as a mattress(albeit uncomfortable). It will also come in handy at drive in movies, flip the middle seat,flatten the rear and watch the movie with the gate up.
jaggedfish
Vehicle: 95 Crystal Lite SWB Exceed

Post by jaggedfish »

I have the bench in mine and one of the biggest things for me doing renovations on my houses is the fact that when the jump seat and the passenger side of the rear bench is folded, there is about 9 feet in length from the closed rear gate to the back of the front passenger seat... a great way to carry any lumber you need. It does render access to the remainder of the seating difficult tho. There certainly is a "cool factor" to the captains chairs.

The other thing is that I believe it is not illegal to use the jump seat without a seat belt as it was not provided by the factory... just common sense for safety reasons. Even school buses don't have seat belts... other than the driver. I know this was discussed somewhere on this forum just recently.
Please check us out at http://www.beachsidebythebay.com or visit our Beachside by the Bay Facebook page.
twisted
Vehicle: 92 Super Exceed

Post by twisted »

Well it would seem that everyone has good points for both options! I guess that when the time comes I my look into the option of seeing if I can have both! If swapping the seats is not a huge issue then I my be looking for a bench so I can put it in when I need It. If they dont swap then I can probably fabricate something so they will. All in all why not have the best of both worlds!

Return to “Delica Modifications”