L400 Fender Flares

Mitsubishi Delica Camper vans, lift kits & other Delica Accessories!

Moderator: BCDelica

sinjin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 97 Delica L400 V6 SWB Super Exceed

L400 Fender Flares

Post by sinjin »

Hey all...this is fender flare-related post (mostly). Basically I'd like to beef up the look of our series one 97 L400 a bit - but nothing too crazy/absurd. I think L400s with fender flares help achieve that (at least those that I have seen on series 2 L400 vans), and also provide some protection for the body. I also know that fender flares are often paired with slightly larger wheels, or at least offset rims as well to really get the whole appearance many are after. Thats definitely something I might have to consider in tandem with fender flares. I don't think we want to do a lift on the van at this point. Don't really need it, imo. We aren't rock crawling or crazy off-roading. We definitely go off-road and do hit some gnarly FSRs and the odd double-track...but I would instead classify ours as an overlander van rather than a "real" off-roader.

As an example, here is the fender flare size I think we'd like shown below in the first pic (albeit the one shown is a series 2 L400). As I said, we don't want anything too crazy/large/pronounced - rather we'd like something a bit more subtle like the ones shown below. I like the look of the size of the fenders on that series 2 van. I also love the rims/tires combo on it. This van looks great with Line X treatments too.

Our van however is the series one L400 (1997) shown in the second pic, with two-toned paint job (grey lower).

Anyhow, wondering if you all have any specific recommendations or just general thoughts for me on this topic? Based on the preliminary research I've done, it sounds like 30mm or smaller flare is doable without having to modify/change the sliding door sliders so that they don't hit the rear fender flare. The other larger ones (50mm) for example, require changing out/modifying the sliders. Can anyone confirm this for series one L400s?

Are 30mm fender flares a big deal to install? Anybody know where to source them for series one L400?

A couple photos of a series one L400 with fender flares is shown in the 3rd and 4th pictures below...
Fender flares we like (and love tires/rim offset too).  Just awesome looking Deli overall.
Fender flares we like (and love tires/rim offset too). Just awesome looking Deli overall.
Nice Delica.png (377.31 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Our 1997 Series One L400 (SWB)
Our 1997 Series One L400 (SWB)
Our_97_L400.jpg (86.94 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Here is an example of fender flares on 1 Series One L400
Here is an example of fender flares on 1 Series One L400
SeriesOne_L400_With_Flares_01.jpg (49.01 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
Another shot of the same series one L400 with flares installed.  Not sure if these are 30mm flares or not.
Another shot of the same series one L400 with flares installed. Not sure if these are 30mm flares or not.
SeriesOne_L400_With_Flares_02.jpg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 1772 times

Return to “Delica Modifications”