RANT: Where not to go for Fuel Injection

Mitsubishi Delica part numbers and purchasing information.
elbosque
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/

RANT: Where not to go for Fuel Injection

Post by elbosque »

Just had the pump redone on my Nissan Safari at Valley Fuel Injection (AKA BD Power). To say the least, I was less than happy with the service. Their pump shop had quoted me around $700 (parts and labour) depending on parts needed to rebuild the pump.

I had been to NW Fuel Injection and they quoted about the same but would not take it off, put it back on and time the pump. They suggested ATEB in Burnaby do that work. Given the Valley Fuel Injections quote was basically the same and that their service dept assured me it would be no problem for them to do all the work I left it with them.

It was the day after boxing day and they told me three days or a bit more as they had a lot of vehicles and a lot of guys away. Well 3 days went by and I called. Nope next week it will be done. I called them every single day and every time it was "they were getting to it." On Monday I called again - very frustrated - and was told that they were having problems getting the information to time the pump. To make a long story short I got them the info from friends in Australia.

Yesterday morning they called to say my Safari was done and the bill was almost $2400. I went down to their "service" desk where they explained that it took them 9 hours to re-install the pump. They told me that the labour and parts for the pump rebuild, the dismanteling of the pump from the truck and the installation of new injectors (which I provided) came to less than the $700 quoted just for the pump. Perhaps that was to make me feel better - I think not! After much arguing, they agreed to drop the bill to just under $2,000. I basically told them I should not have to pay to train their "professional" mechanic when they told me it would be no problem. I think they expected me to be a mechanical idiot trying to tell me that they had to take out one battery, take off the top coolant hose and remove the power steering pump. I had done that and more myself when I replaced my water pump in less than an hour.

They also let it slip that in fact they only set the pump to the timing marks and did not actually take the timing plate off to time it according to the manual specs I had given them. Apparently, their best mechanic thought that it had good power where it was installed. WTF! So now I am back at looking to take the truck into ATEB to have the pump timing checked and properly set.

Be forewarned - only let the people who know JDMs work on your vehicle or be prepared for a long down time and to pay for their learning curve. It is not just enough to ask if they know how to do the work. Check around with others who had work done with them and get the shop to show you their manuals for your vehicle.

Burned but hoping no one else gets burned.
Kuan
Vehicle: 94' L400 SWB

Post by Kuan »

Sorry you got burned. That sucks. I would file a complaint with the BBB. Thanks for the heads up on these guys.

Kuan
argo
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/

Post by argo »

Wow that's really unfortunate. It's too bad that there are shops out there whose greed prevents them from turning away work best left to someone more familiar with the system . There are those out there who feel they can "fix anything" and "don't need the manual"

It's like if you are getting a wheel alignment check, go to the shop with the proper 4 wheel laser alignment machine. Steer clear of the guy who does it with a tape measure and four peices of greased up sheet metal.
jcolvin

Post by jcolvin »

I hear good things about Piers Diesel in Surry. Also Fred Holmes fuel injection in Richmond know what they are doing.

Return to “Delica Parts for Sale (Non-Commercial)”