My names Peter, im 26 and was born and raised in the greater Victoria BC area. Only in the last 2-3 years have i started exploring this fantastic island. Both me and my girlfriend are Backpackers and skiers, and more recently Mounteers. I love the feeling of hanging off a rock face, working my ass off, and falling a lot, on a really hard route. Then later that night retiring to our tent (now a van!).
Since most of our adventure spots on the Island are 4X4 access only, and the fact we always seem to go with 6 or more people, i knew we had to upgrade from my 5 person 2017 Tacoma. After spending the month of July researching 4x4 van options i found that the Delica was the only one that had the clearance and capabilities we needed at an affordable price range. It Took me other 3 weeks of constant reading to decide and learn about what engine we wanted, what trim levels were out there. Whether we wanted an L300 of an L400 ect, ect, ect.
In late August I started my search at Five Star Autos in Parksville BC. i test drove a 97 L400 and fell in love! But this van had problems, more then i could tackle with my in-experience. plus, we felt we needed a long wheelbase, given we normally carry 6 people and their gear. A few weeks later i got a call they they had just received a 1994 L400, LWB, Super Exceed. We immediately took the after noon up and test drove it, knowing right after, this was the van for us!
Anyways enough Talk, on with the build.
From my research i knew i wanted to add a few things off the batt, along with a few others in no particular order.
- DONENew Head unit for the stereo, Replacing the stock original one.
- DONENew speakers front and rear. and find out why the rear speakers are not operational
- since the EGR vacuum tube was already plugged off, finish it by blanking the plates off and installing an EGT gauge.
- Install a Breaker + Fuse Panel and Relays somewhere... all External wiring for lights will be run through this.
- Also install a set of 4 USB ports in the Van for charging Devices.
- Fix the broken switch panel containing the ECS/ Defog switch (screw had snapped the plastic support.)
- Build or buy a Cubby for between the drivers seats. add water bottle holders
- Fix the Broken Inclinometer
- Fix the lights in the passenger visor
- Fix the curtains in the back to (many of the sliders in the track were broken.)
- Fix the switch for the Front Fog lights.
- Remove/Repair the broken DRL module so that the van will shut off when headlights are left on,
- Repair the Drivers Door window Visor.
- Add a roof rack and ski rack