still stranded

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

winnipeg sue
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica

Re: still stranded

Post by winnipeg sue »

Rob: I talked to Frank's. They weren't very encouraging; though they said they'd seen a few they haven't done anything extensive on them and thought I'd be paying a lot of money for them to learn how to do it. But yes, in the future, if I rescue this vehicle, I will deal with Frank's and hopefully they'll learn all about them.
Are you the blu-ish vehicle we've seen in Wolseley? We were convinced they were all green!

Susan
JMK
Vehicle: 92 Chamonix

Post by JMK »

If it were me I'd part the vehicle out and get back as much as you can, using that money to start over again. For example, if it's going to cost you $5,000.00 more to get it running, perhaps it would make more sense to take that $5,000.00, and lets say another $4,000.00 you may get by parting it out, and put that money toward a whole new vehicle that is in better shape all around.

Personally, I don't really think a 15 year old diesel import is a good choice for anyone on a fixed income that doesn't do a lot of their own wrench turning. They need lots of TLC on an ongoing basis and paying someone $100.00/hr to do the minor maintenance can be a real hardship for the non-mechanically inclined.

Speaking of which, Green, how did your visit to GCL go?
Erebus
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Post by Erebus »

JMK wrote:If it were me I'd part the vehicle out and get back as much as you can, using that money to start over again.
I agree in principle, but parting out a Delica in Winnipeg might not be a terribly fruitful exercise -- demand is probably pretty low. Not that I have a better idea, only sympathy.
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".
JMK

Post by JMK »

Good point. Again raising the dilemma of freighting it to the west coast because a local auto wrecker won't pay anything for it. And of course the best way to 'part out' long distance requires that you have to turn wrenches and remove the parts yourself so you can ship them. Not a happy situation.
Fanny Bay Delica

Post by Fanny Bay Delica »

I gotta tell ya I wouldn't have bought the vehicle if there hadn't a good support structure available. As such I wouldn't recommend them to anyone outside of BC and to a lesser degree Alberta. Driving a Deli Winnipeg ain't the smartest move, I'd contact the dealers in BC and see what they'll take if off your hands for you and chalk this up to a life lesson -- hell I bought Nortel in 2000 (we all make mistakes)!!
Cheers!!

Andy

'91 Delica Super Exceed (Jade over Silver) - SOLD!! - SOLD!! SOLD!!

[Image
JMK

Post by JMK »

Living in Alberta I agree to some extent that is true, but there are some pretty good resources in Calgary if you can find the parts. In that same vein, I really don't think a Deli is very suitable as a 'daily driver', and I don't live in a city withal. I think it makes a great second or 'weekend' vehicle. There have been many times that I have had the vehicle down for many days waiting on parts or work, including leaving it in Calgary and driving home to Banff. I'm fortunate that I'm not dependant on the Deli as my main transport and have access to many vehicles, but I would never have just the Deli sitting alone in my Driveway no matter where I lived, it would get too lonely without some friends.
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

Speaking of which, Green, how did your visit to GCL go?
ummm... I don't know really... extremely expensive, that much I can be sure about, as to whether or not they fixed anything, I'm still trying to determine that, but I won't really be able to tell until I get my glow plug system working again after they destroyed my new temperature sensor....

over all, I'm not impressed at the moment, but we'll see once I replace the temperature sensor, and possibly the glow plugs again...

Return to “General Discussion”