Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Re: Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

Post by konadog »

Um did you say 8.33 l per 100 k?
My guess is he meant 8.3 kms. per liter. That's about what we get: around your 11 liters per 100 kms. Funny that. Easy to mix up "kms per liter" and "liters per 100 kms." Still confuses me :o
Happy Day!
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Hello and welcome aboard Delica.ca,

are you going to measure the volume, on route, of the WVO you use to determine your true WVO mileage?

Please keep us posted of the progress of your Delica, pre-departure.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Image Call me BCDelica-less
driventosustain
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 93 Delica Exceed

Post by driventosustain »

Artacoma wrote:Um did you say 8.33 l per 100 k?
Looking forward to yur trip blog , I did a 13,000 k trip last summer and got 11 l per 100 k and thought that was pretty good, maybe I need a tuneup.
cheers and good luck
I didn't want to confuse people by putting up hwy economy and rural economy... so i put up the best one

.. besides that's what a car manufacture would have done anyways.
driventosustain

FalcoColumbarius wrote: Where most corn based bio-fuel crops produce 50 barrels per acre, per season ~ this article claimed that on the same acre these people were producing 50 barrels per day, sometimes twice.

Falco.
I have heard a lot about algae technology, it all sounds amazing. Although i really hope we are able to break free of our addiction with combustible fuels and maybe the algae technology goes toward the production of biodegradable plastics. I really hope for our sakes we are able to further the development of the hydrogen cell, and further the efficiency of solar and wind.
driventosustain

BCDelica wrote:Hello and welcome aboard Delica.ca,

are you going to measure the volume, on route, of the WVO you use to determine your true WVO mileage?

Please keep us posted of the progress of your Delica, pre-departure.

Best Regards,
Kevin
you bet, its about the only way we can!

and its obviously going to be higher if we pull a trailer
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

It sounds like a great trip and I'm sure the experiences will be amazing !

A few q's :

1. The Delica on your website :

"This photo is our exact model, and what we hope our van will look like once we install the roof rack, and flood lights"

Will you be lifting it and using larger diameter tires ? If so, will you compensate for the different gearing/speed and lower fuel mileage ?

2. Parts on the road.

What will you guys do for parts in case of breakdown or regular maintenance items (filters,etc..) ?

3. Sleeping inside the Delica throughout the winter.

What will you use for heating ? Will it be eco-friendly fuel as well ?

4. WVO smell that will attract all forms of curious animals.

Bears, cougars for example.

Something I have been wondering after coming back from a hike and seeing a couple of bears hanging around our Delica in a parking lot Hope.

Made me think that it was our Delica smell that brought them into the city (a no no). :?

5. Running on WVO without Diesel in the winter.

How will you run your Delica on 100% WVO in the system 24/7 without gelling the lines and IP in the cold.

Are you going to use an espar hydronic with some heating wraps/elements for the engine/IP and install heated lines ?

6. Filter on the road.

I'd love to see your on-the-road filtration system.

These are all questions I've been going over in my head since we've been planning our trip next year.

We're doing a cross-country trip next fall. Canada to Alaska and down through the US to central america and then a loop through south america coming back up to Canada. (no publicizing our trip. we like to be low key) Continent tip to tip on an much WVO as we can. :M

Looking forward to how you tackle these issues (I'm still working on it) :-D

Thanks!
Jesse
driventosustain

jfarsang wrote:Will you be lifting it and using larger diameter tires ? If so, will you compensate for the different gearing/speed (gsp) and lower fuel mileage ?
In response:
driventosustain wrote: Our Delica doesn't have the lift kit yet, and we are still unsure if we will go through with the lift. It would be nice to make it look like our concept photo, but we can get pretty close to the "Look" with out the lift.
jfarsang wrote:What will you guys do for parts in case of breakdown or regular maintenance items (filters,etc..) ?
Although I am mechanically incline to a certain degree, we are relying heavily upon our sponsor Rocky Mountain Imports who have agreed on backing us 100% when it comes to getting us parts: http://www.rockymountainimports.net

Glen from Coombs Country Auto will be our mechanical advisor. Keep an eye for his Bio on our site under Our Team.
jfarsang wrote:What will you use for heating ? Will it be eco-friendly fuel as well ?
I really doubt they will be required: -40 sleeping bags, heating is for babies.
jfarsang wrote:Bears, cougars for example.
Attraction will be encouraged until any degree of unsafe conditions occurs for us or the wildlife. I would love to get great shots of animals like a Grizzly, Polar Bear… Andy

http://flickr.com/photos/21066340@N05/sets/
jfarsang wrote:How will you run your Delica on 100% WVO in the system 24/7 without coking the turbo/gelling the lines and IP in the cold.
It’s a trade secret, you will need to get http://www.veggiefuelsystems.ca/cms/ (new site later to be released) to contact you on that. For stopping and starting the engine we will be using Biodiesel to keep our focus on alternative fuel for the record, although we will rarely / never be driving on it.
jfarsang wrote:Are you going to use an espar hydronic with some heating wraps/elements for the engine/IP and install heated lines ?
Sure!
jfarsang wrote:We're doing a cross-country trip next fall. Canada to Alaska and down through the US to central america and then a loop through south america coming back up to Canada.
Very nice, all the respect to you I might do the same for a vacation to get away from all this! How will you link the gap between Colon, Panama and Turbo, Colombia?
jfarsang wrote:no publicizing our trip. we like to be low key
That’s exactly what I said 2 years ago as well.

But I like to stir the pot.

Thank you Jesse!
driventosustain

konadog wrote:
My guess is he meant 8.3 kms. per liter.
driventosustain wrote: And our 93 Mitsubishi Delica is extremely efficient. The 2.5 Lt engine gets 28.22 Miles per US gallon, or 8.33 km per Lt. Not too bad if you compare it to other vehicles in its class.
Not sure what you guys are talking about :oops:
jessef

Post by jessef »

Apologize if I'm assuming, but have you lived in -30/40 in a vehicle with no heat ?

I was forced to for 2 weeks up in Anchorage and I will avoid doing it again.
driventosustain wrote:heating is for babies.
Not where I come from.

driventosustain wrote:Very nice, all the respect to you I might do the same for a vacation to get away from all this! How will you link the gap between Colon, Panama and Turbo, Colombia?
Container from Panama

I wish you two a safe trip and hope the Delica will make it without any major issues. They are stout vehicles. :M
konadog

Post by konadog »

Quote:

My guess is he meant 8.3 kms. per liter.

driventosustain wrote:
And our 93 Mitsubishi Delica is extremely efficient. The 2.5 Lt engine gets 28.22 Miles per US gallon, or 8.33 km per Lt. Not too bad if you compare it to other vehicles in its class.

Not sure what you guys are talking about
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:53 pm
Space wasting babble, obviously, as you clearly stated 8.33 kms. per liter (not "meant" it) - sorry.

I'm with jfarsang on the heat thing - Not babies, just smart. Comfort and safety can never be over rated. Have you read about Amundsen and Scott and their race for the south pole? I bet Scott and his lads thought Amundsen and crew were babies with their dogs sleds... :? Get a Bushbuddy stove for outdoor heat and carbon neutral cooking - (awesome, another chance to plug for Fritz and his beautiful stove!): http://bushbuddy.ca/ And I sure hope you do keep us updated on your adventure :M :-D
Happy Day!
Fanny Bay Delica

Post by Fanny Bay Delica »

Hey Jesse,

I could lend you a nice rifle if you want to get some nice shots of a grizzly or polar bear!!!

Always trying to help!!! Feel free to stop by Fanny Bay so we can burn off bit of carbon before you leave!!
Cheers!!

Andy

'91 Delica Super Exceed (Jade over Silver) - SOLD!! - SOLD!! SOLD!!

[Image
jessef

Post by jessef »

Fanny Bay Delica wrote:Hey Jesse,

I could lend you a nice rifle if you want to get some nice shots of a grizzly or polar bear!!!

Always trying to help!!! Feel free to stop by Fanny Bay so we can burn off bit of carbon before you leave!!
I've spent most of my childhood in the interior (lytton/kamloops/clinton) rafting and outdoorsy things. Grizzlies and cougars are the one's that raise the hairs on the back of my neck when I see one up close. :? :-D
driventosustain

jfarsang wrote:Apologize if I'm assuming, but have you lived in -30/40 in a vehicle with no heat ?
The Avg low in Fairbanks, Alaska in October reaches 18 F. We will be fine, although i appreciate the concern. Yes the return in the middle of the winter will be a challenge, but we will probably take the coast, we might even take a needed vacation until the snow melts anyways.

If any freak cold snaps happen to come through I will be happily reminded why I travel with my girlfriend.
driventosustain

Fanny Bay Delica wrote:Hey Jesse,

Easy Mr military, no one needs to relive your glory days.
konadog

Post by konadog »

Bears, cougars for example.
Bears, being true omnivorous who will eat just about anything, are a serious concern for sure, but I bet no cougar would give a rat's ass about a tub of corn oil. They prefer their grub squirming, warm and freshly caught :M :-D
Happy Day!

Return to “Events - BC Vancouver Island”