So my Delica broke down today.....

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
trendkiller
Vehicle: 92 Super Exceed, CBR929RR

So my Delica broke down today.....

Post by trendkiller »

I took the cover off so that I could see the timing belt and I found the Camshaft Sprocket was loose. Upon futher inspection I found that it had sheered off the little pin that keeps it positioned correctly relative to the camshaft.
I wasn't in the van when it happened, but my wife said that it made a bunch of nasty metal noises
then quit.
My question is just how severe is this?
The hole in the sprocket is out of round now so it has to be replaced, but what about the camshaft and the valvetrain? or even the head?
I would just like to have an idea so that when I go in to get in fixed I have an idea of what they are talking about.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Kelsey
MardyDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: DL#30843 /92 Delica Super Exceed

Re: So my Delica broke down today.....

Post by MardyDelica »

Hi, kelsey,
where did you buy your delica , did you import it directly from japan,
buy it from a dealer or private.
this is the problem if they dont service there delica when it arrived from japan & when somebody sells the car to you. you might have timing belt problem & your camshaft rocker arm must be toast, we dont know,
but i think big problem, engine failure, hoping not too big problem.
who ever do this they did not tighten this camshaft sprocket maybe forgot to torgue it.
hoping it did not do big damage, anyway if you need help you can call me & will try to help you, no problem we can fix this its just a matter of how big the damage accur.
cheers;
ImageImageImage
bae146
Vehicle: 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero

Post by bae146 »

Unfortunately you have probably done major damage to the pistons and the valve train. you are looking at new pistons and a new/rebuilt head and associated bits. These engines are an interference engine. What that means is if the valve timing is thrown out of whack by a loose or broken timing belt the pistons come up to the top of the cylinder while the valves are still open, the pistons strike the valves damaging both items. :shock:
trendkiller

Post by trendkiller »

Thanks for your reply Mardy. I have been reading a lot of your posts and I apprieciate that you
took time to reply to my question.

I bought the van from a dealer who imports them, but I don't think he does any maintenance.
I have had the van for a few months and just now had some time to start taking things apart
and checking to see what state they were in.
In fact, I had just done my first oil change and flushed the coolant a couple hours before. I have
a list of things I was going to do over the next couple of months to get it in tip top condition.
One of the things on my list was the Mardy "delica tune", which I was hoping to do later this summer when I was on the mainland.
Unfortunately that may have to wait. :(

If I was on the mainland I would definately take it to your shop, but from here that would be a huge tow bill!

I had a feeling that this was pretty bad, and I think you confirmed that for me.

Thanks for your time!

Kelsey
marsgal42
Vehicle: The Mighty Gumdrop

Post by marsgal42 »

The closest thing to a saving grace is that the valves are vertical in the head, so they tend to snap off the rocker arms rather than bending and breaking things. This is why timing belts are so critical on these engines, and why all reputable importers change them as a matter of course.

You still have some major repairs to do. Ouch.

...laura
trendkiller

Post by trendkiller »

bae146 wrote:Unfortunately you have probably done major damage to the pistons and the valve train. you are looking at new pistons and a new/rebuilt head and associated bits. These engines are an interference engine. What that means is if the valve timing is thrown out of whack by a loose or broken timing belt the pistons come up to the top of the cylinder while the valves are still open, the pistons strike the valves damaging both items. :shock:
Ah damn!
laura wrote:The closest thing to a saving grace is that the valves are vertical in the head, so they tend to snap off the rocker arms rather than bending and breaking things. This is why timing belts are so critical on these engines, and why all reputable importers change them as a matter of course.

You still have some major repairs to do. Ouch. :shock:
The belt actually looks new... it didn't break.... not that makes this any better....
MardyDelica

Post by MardyDelica »

Hi, kelsey, if you dont have anybody who can do this in your area we can do this for you,
now about towing no need to tow if still start little bit, try to contact any trucking truck with emptry trailer going back to rmd b.c. maybe much cheaper. then from richmond i can look after your vehicle, no problem when it arrived here in richmond.
hoping that its not bad, its a little bit hard to take.
so pls dont loose hope maybe not really bad, we just have to see the vehicle o.k.
let me know if you like to do this.
call me anytime
cheers;
ImageImageImage
kb&2dogs
Vehicle: 89 BushBunny

Post by kb&2dogs »

http://www.delica.ca/forum/big-kudos-an ... -2527.html

Go to this thread and read our story. The same thing happened to us and we ended up replacing the engine. Big Ouch!!
kb&2dogs (one here and one in doggy heaven)
(formerly Kathy Brian Seiko & Tundra)
clw54
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/clw54
Vehicle: 92 L300 Exceed, Green over Grey

Post by clw54 »

Sorry to hear of you breakdown. No need to tow it off the island though. Glen at CC Auto in Coombs can fix you up. He does excellent work and sets up the Deli's for Five Star Motors in Parksville. He frequently posts on this forum as well. Good luck.
trendkiller

Post by trendkiller »

Kathy Brian Seiko & Tundra wrote:http://www.delica.ca/forum/big-kudos-an ... -2527.html

Go to this thread and read our story. The same thing happened to us and we ended up replacing the engine. Big Ouch!!
Ya I guess I lucked out in the fact that the van broke down about 5 kms from home.
Of course it was on a bridge at rush hour.... but I would rather that then a long distance from
home!

I am glad you got yours going again! I really like the deli, so I don't really hold this against it. Really, it could happen to any vehicle. I just don't have 3 grand for a new engine right now....

Thanks for sharing your story!
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

One possibility, if your mechanical or have willing friends to assists you might attempt the work yourself, with parts purchased from CCauto of course. Just by browsing Mystery Machine post last night when this happened to him, might to need only a used head for the engine.

Might, this coming from someone who'll dive into a project like that then not hesitate to pay towing to a shop when the job is beyond my means.

Goodluck,
Kev
Image Call me BCDelica-less
ghmorris
Vehicle: 92 Delica, 89 Mercedes 300D

Post by ghmorris »

trendkiller wrote:
Kathy Brian Seiko & Tundra wrote:http://www.delica.ca/forum/big-kudos-an ... -2527.html

Ya I guess I lucked out in the fact that the van broke down about 5 kms from home.
Of course it was on a bridge at rush hour.... but I would rather that then a long distance from
home!

I am glad you got yours going again! I really like the deli, so I don't really hold this against it. Really, it could happen to any vehicle. I just don't have 3 grand for a new engine right now....

Thanks for sharing your story!
Talk to Glen at CCAutos. You may be surprised at what he can do.

When I was at his place getting stuff fixed, we talked about exposure to problems in Ontario which is a long way from qualified help. Replacing entire engines and running gear was discussed, and three grand never came into the conversation. Not even close.

Worth giving him a shout perhaps...

George
MardyDelica

Post by MardyDelica »

Hi, kelsay dont mean he will spend 3,000 worth or repair, he just compare it to Kathy & brian experience thru the experience they have & the amount of money they spend when they fix their delica,
you know its very hard to qoute a problem when you dont see the car.
how much the actual cost of repair nobody know. you got to see what the damage on the car accur.
as for 3,000 repair to change the complete engine taking it out from your delica, it will be short for 3,000 re-& re, take it out from delica & put new engine & cost of new engine, i dont think its enought unless you have a high mileage engine that you can get a cheap engine. maybe just repair the engine its o.k. for the price but to change it with low mileage engine with out any repair, used engine from japan cost about$2,000 just a cost landed if you can get low mileage. so it depends on what a mechanic do to your engine to fix it.
repair the broken engine & replace with engine with low mileage engine ( document the exact mileage) is totally different,
its just what ever the customer choice what they want to do. replace a used new low mileage engine or just repair the old engine.
hope this help everybody.
Cheers;
ImageImageImage
kb&2dogs
Vehicle: 89 BushBunny

Post by kb&2dogs »

Hi Kelsey

I hope you don't end up having to replace your engine, but the damage done to ours was too much to fix, keeping in mind that we were tooling down the highway going 60 mph when it quit. We've heard of similar problems costing lots less than that, but we leave these things to the expert (Glen & guys at CC). Anyhow, good luck to you. My new mantra is "it isn't the deli that went wrong, it's the *#?^^ that worked on it."
kb&2dogs (one here and one in doggy heaven)
(formerly Kathy Brian Seiko & Tundra)
Youbou

Post by Youbou »

:M
Last edited by Youbou on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “L300 Technical”