Ahhhhh!!!

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
philmeup1
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Delica

Ahhhhh!!!

Post by philmeup1 »

Hello folks,

I hope you are all well and had an enjoyable summer. After spending my entire summer on the road touring Provincial Parks, my van is in need of some love. It started with a fuel leak from the rear tank. My mechanic pulled it and it's now sent off to be resealed. As I was talking to my mechanic he noticed a few other things that I may need to attend to.

He said the top of the tank is pretty rusty as are the lines that come off of it. I thought about getting a new tank, but could only find one on ebay in the UK and they don't ship to Canada:( Not sure if I can can source a new fuel sender unit. I have a new one in my parts stash, but it's for the front tank and I'm not sure if they're the same?

He also said there was some leaking around the area where the turbo is. Is it cheaper to just replace the whole thing? I went online to look at replacing it and the prices were all over the map. Everything from $277.00 - $950.00. :shock: . Any guidance here would be appreciated.

He mentioned leaking around the injector pump as well. I had this rebuilt just after I bought the van around 7 years ago. I've put about 75 thousand K on the motor since. Could it be due for another rebuild already? Seems a bit premature to me....

The last thing he mentioned was that it could use new rear bushings. Are these easy to sort?

I should also mention my van is a 1993 Super Exceed 2.5 diesel automatic now with 157K on the clock.

I probably put close to 10K on the odometer over this past summer touring and sleeping in my van. It was epic. I don't mind spending a bit of $$ to keep it running well, just trying to be smart about it, which is sometimes very hard for me, lol.

Thanks in advance for any input and/or suggestions.

Cheers,

Phil
sck_nogas
Vehicle: 1991 L300 Delica Super Exceed

Re: Ahhhhh!!!

Post by sck_nogas »

Well, on the Turbocharge side of things...

Depending on WHEN your 1993 Delica was made, you'd either have the You could also look into getting a bigger Turbo like a Kinugawa, but you'd need to see if you are a 3 bolt or 5 bolt turbo..

I have a 91 L300 in the US, but with a Hyundai D4BF engine thus I have a 5 bolt Turbo and found a rebuilt Garrett 28200-4B151 Turbo From TurboCentras in Lithuania for less than ANY other location, and also included the entire exhaust header and exhaust outlet. With 3 day international shipping was still 50% the price of a local shop rebuilding my existing turbo.

Not recommending the Amazon links, but showing that there are SOME parts available for "reasonable". The TurboCentras company is a well-known company that rebuilds Turbos in Europe and rebuilds a couple hundred turbos a month. So, far it's rock solid and am QUITE happy.

Good luck!
philmeup1

Post by philmeup1 »

Thanks for responding nogas. I guess I'll have to check specifically when my Deli was manufactured. The Amazon links show they are unavailable at the moment. And the prices on the Amayama site were a little out of this world. That's like half of what I paid for my entire van, turbo included!! :shock:

I'm going to speak to my mechanic again and prioritize this stuff. The van has been running excellent, but I suppose a leaky turbo should be addressed immediately. Same with the injector pump. And if I was getting that done, I probably should do the timing belt again as it's getting close to 80,000 Kms since I did it last. I just know these are expensive things to repair, and I lost the one job I had due to Covid-19. I may have to move into the van to save the money to keep it on the road, lol. A slave to the man, and a slave to the van:(

Time for a cocktail I think......
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

With several parts needed, do you have time, and space, to locate a Delica with a blown head gasket to part out? I see you're from Ontario, but the west coast has many a long parked Delica sadly sitting. Walking yesterday evening in Cumberland I counted half dozen L300 looking like they haven't run in some time.

I've ordered parts from Japan, been waiting many months for a rear axle. Bought a mini truck for a friend, and it was delayed 6-7 weeks due to co-vid.
Image Call me BCDelica-less
philmeup1

Post by philmeup1 »

The problem is finding a wrecked L300 anywhere close to where I live. I wish they were as plentiful here as they are in BC. I'd be happy to get some used parts off a donor van. My mechanic said the leaky fuel tank is the main issue that needs fixing, and it's getting a new bladder in it now. The rest of the stuff can and will have to wait I guess. Lots of fun. :-(

Return to “L300 Technical”