Crystal Lite Roof Rusty Spots

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
philmeup1
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Delica

Post by philmeup1 »

Hi all,

Here's a job I've been meaning to tackle for years. I have rust spots on the roof of my '93 Super Exceed. My regular excuse is that I don't have the time. Well, obviously that's not the case considering the current situation. I don't have the mechanical ability to tear out the roof liner fix the rust from the underside, and replace the liner. It's the putting it all back together part that scares me.

Over the seven years I've owned the van the rust spots have stayed relatively the same in size. And it's parked outside year round. But I'm wondering if someone could offer advice on what I might apply to the roof on the rust spots to help keep them at bay for a little while longer. I know this isn't the proper way to fix this problem. I'm just looking for something temporary. Something that might seal the rust spots from the outside until the day I can get someone to repair this properly.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks everyone, Stay safe:)

Phil
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Post by lrp374 »

If you can spare a week you should 'Go for It' Phil. It's not that complicated and the post I've attached includes reference to a complete job Nxski did earlier to repair his roof. Just take your time and keep all the screws and plastic tabs in some fashion you know where they came from. I had a few pieces left but my roof is still intact.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18097&p=134319&hili ... de#p134319

Larry
philmeup1
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Delica

Post by philmeup1 »

This is an excellent thread, and I've got all the time in the world right now. It's the mechanical ability that's still got me a bit spooked. Perhaps I need to give myself a bit of confidence and just attempt the job. Being organized would be key, lots of documentation with lots of photos, parts in different zip lock baggies etc....

One of my shades no longer works, and it would be nice to fix that as well. I've turned my van into a camper with a bed in the rear. No matter how I park it, the sun comes burning inside the vehicle at the crack of dawn frying everything up inside. That coupled with a hangover is murderous on a hot sunny morning.

Anyway, thanks for the response Larry. I'm going to study the photos in the link you shared and attempt to psyche myself up to do the proper repair.

Cheers,

Phil

Return to “L300 Technical”