Super-quick glow ECU function and Glow Plugs

sk66
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '91 Delica L300

Super-quick glow ECU function and Glow Plugs

Post by sk66 »

Daniel from WingsElectronics repairs ECUs, but has also put up a great explanation of the technical details of the ECU. If you have trouble repairing your own ECU, contact Daniel.

http://www.w1ngselectronics.com/index.p ... glow-timer

Admin: moved to the Technical Reference Library.

Just in case Daniel's awesome website goes away, here's a copy of the technical part:

"The controller is divided essentially into two distinct functions which share some inputs;

Glow timer:

The glow timer portion looks at coolant temperature, ignition, cranking, alternator field, and glow plug temperature. The coolant temperature input reads an NTC thermistor installed in the cylinder head to check coolant temperature. Ignition, crank, and alternator signals come directly from their respective sources (ignition switch and alternator). To measure glow plug resistance, on application of ignition power, the timer outputs a calibrated current on the glow plug rail and measures the voltage drop. Derived from voltage and current is the plug's resistance and thus its deduced temperature.

Once the timer has learned of coolant and plug temperature it calculates the appropriate pre-heat time to achieve the desired plug temperature. During cranking and after startup the timer applies reduced power to the plugs for a calculated duration. The timer checks whether the engine is running by watching the alternator field output.

The ability to apply varying power levels to the plugs is achieved through the use of two relays. One relay connects full battery voltage to the plug rail while the other has a series resistor. 6V glow plugs are used such that pre-heat is accomplished very quickly (12V electrical system). There is the potential to burn out glow plugs if the full power relay gets stuck on for some reason but this rarely happens.

EGR controller:

The EGR portion of the controller shares the coolant temperature sensor and ignition power input of the glow time. Its main inputs are engine speed and throttle lever position. A potentiometer on the throttle lever relays position information to the controller while a reluctor pickup in the diesel injection pump relays engine speed information. RPM and throttle are used to decide when and how much to open the EGR valve. To control the EGR valve, the controller operates two solenoid vacuum valves."

Steven
1991 L300
Harrisburg, PA
Growlerbearnz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Super-quick glow ECU technical details, glow plugs.

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Since the ECU measures the glow plug resistance to determine how hot they are, aftermarket glow plugs can be problematic. Most aftermarket suppliers will look up a 6v plug and give you CP-06 plugs. Which do *not* work with the super-quick ECU. However:
Matt&Kim wrote:For glow plugs, Rock Auto .com lists the NGK 2161 6V plug as a aftermarket replacement for the glow plugs in the 1985 Mighty Max with the 2.3L diesel as well as the 1985 Dodge D50 with the 2.3L. When I looked up the Mitsubishi part number thru Partsouq and cross referenced it into a common brand I found the NGK 2161 again. I ordered a set thru Napa after confirming they're 6 volts. They have been working great for the last week since I installed them. They were pricier than I expected at $135, though. grrr.
So it looks like we have two options.
-Mitsubishi MD092392
-NGK 2161
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

Return to “The Engine & Engine Electrical”