Tire Reviews

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

Fishtank
Vehicle: 1994 Spacegear Exceed LWB Tall

Tire Reviews

Post by Fishtank »

I thought this would be a good topic for people to review what tires they are running and give some ratings for road noise, traction, treadwear and looks.

I am looking at several options for next spring to replace my current tires.

First is the Firestone Destination M/T.
Next would be the Kumho Road Venture MT KL71
Lastly I am considering the Nokian Vatiiva M/T

A big concern is road noise from these tires, obviously being Mud/Terrain. From the reviews I've read the Kumho is the quietest with the Firestone a very close second. But I haven't heard anything about the Nokian since it is so new. As for price, the Kumho seems to be the cheapest followed by the Nokian then the Firestone. By that the Kumho might be the best choice, but I am unsure about the treadwear, it looks like small lugs, and off-road traction since there seems to be little info in that regards.

If anyone has more info on these tires, or others, please speak up.
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Re: Tire Reviews

Post by jessef »

I'm fortunate to have a long time friend who owns a tire shop down in WA.

I've tried out almost every tire I can think of in the past few years.

I've tried out the Firestone Destination M/T's on my Jeep and didn't like them. The compound is very soft and wears quickly. The lugs ended up cupping fairly quickly.

I haven't tried those Kumho's so I can't comment on them.

The Nokkian's hybrid MT/AT's were on a Landrover up in Whistler last week and they look good, but other than seeing them on one vehicle, I have no idea about their performance.

I now run ProComp AT's on my Pajero and will do the same on the Deli.

They beat BFG AT's hands down in slick rainy roads. About the same off road dry.

The BFG's clean easier in the mud, but not by enough to offset the wet/snow performance on the Procomp's.

I found that they are quiet and they are great for our weather climate here (ie. rain, slick roads, slush, snow, gravel roads)

Personally, I would stay away from mud tires on the Delica. At least in our weather climate.

The compound technology is still not there for really good wet/slick performance.

The only reason I would toss on a set of MT's on a Deli is if I have a spare set and was strictly going off roading.

That's about it.

Jesse

psilosin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L400

Post by psilosin »

Thumbs down on the Firestone M/T's...overpriced and underperforming. I've been looking at those Kumho's myself for my Hilux Surf as on other vehicles I had found that Kumho brand is usually pretty good deal price/performance. I hadn't seen those Nokians before but I am now quite interested in those too, the tread pattern looks quite aggressive. I have used Nokian tires in the past on my VW Vanagon 4WD (haakapeliita's sp?) and they were excellent quality tires. I imagine the Nokians are quite a bit more expensive than the Kumho's??
Fishtank
Vehicle: 1994 Spacegear Exceed LWB Tall

Post by Fishtank »

If I remember right, the Kumho's were only a little cheaper than the Nokian's. And the Nokian's ended up being around 160 a piece...I think??? I thought that was quite a good price for the tire you get, but again road noise is a concern by the looks of the tread. I heard the Kumho's were quite nice on the street and held their own off road. I have some time to ponder, maybe give it a few more months and the Nokian's will be well tested.
Jaz
Vehicle: "Rusty" no longer :(

Post by Jaz »

Not sure if you guys can get these over there, but I'll throw Mickey Thomson Baja's into the mix. Just come back from a 4x4ing bucks party weekend in a Nissan Patrol (pretty sure you can get them in canuck land!) with a new set of these strapped on and was seriously impressed! We worked out that if we were "driving to get through" then not much would stop you. Messing around on the other hand... you'd get a hell of a lot further into trouble than with many other tyres :wink:

Good tread pattern and tread wrapping up the sidewalls like most new designs seem to these days, plus they're quiet on road. Only problem is that they are still a bit skatey on a soggy road, which might not be so good for BC conditions as a regular driving tyre.

Still don't help on 6ft deep soggy, decomposing sawdust...

psilosin
Vehicle: L400

Post by psilosin »

When I was in Kal Tire the other day they had some of those Nokians instock so I talked to the sales rep a bit about them. Apparently, compared to other mud terrain tires, the road noise is supposed to be quite a bit lower. One thing I didn't like too much was that in areas the tread that would be in contact with the road looked to be only like 75-80% of the actual tire width. I was also surprised by the price...much less than BFG M/T's so think I will be trying these out soon.
mcod

Post by mcod »

What's the best tire pressure for fuel efficiency? I looked where the N American vehicles display the PSI, but...Japanese info!
What about the Pressure for offroad fun?
Erebus
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Post by Erebus »

The spec on the door sill says 2 bars pressure, which translates to 29 psi, which is ridiculously low for north american tires.

I'm running Bridgestone Dueler Revo AT in 235/75R15, and my dealer recommended 40 psi. The tires are rated at a maximum of 50 psi .

I'm also not very impressed with the Duelers in mild stuff. A couple of inches of fresh snow on top of hardpack and Green1's all seasons had no trouble keeping up. Haven't seen what it can do in mud or dirt yet.
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".
northvanmatt
Vehicle: 91 super exceed

Post by northvanmatt »

I have 235/75/15 goodyear wrangler all seasons. i am very happy with them they area great fit for the type of driving i have been doing. I go up and the mountains ALOT in the snow and have had know problems what so ever even in the west coast sloppy snow we get. I have done some light off roading with them on some de-activated logging roads crosssing warter bars in the mud and snow with know problems. On the highway they are Great I would by them again for sure!
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

That's the third review read, this year, that ProComp AT's out preform BFG AT's in wet snow. With newer BFG AT's holding plenty of snow within the tread they preformed better for us in all 'white stuff' conditions cept ice then extreme ice Bridgestone winter tires (which had the softest compound ever seen). Nough said is, BFG AT's with plenty tread rock as snow tires and I believe these different reviews about the ProComp AT's - makes them a must try IMO.

Saw the Nokian Vatiiva M/T's, tough looking tire - too bad we decided to sell the 5 Toyota alloys bought like 1.5 years ago (honestly couldn't bring myself to replace near new tires just for the look of bigger meats - shame on me).
Image Call me BCDelica-less
jessef

Post by jessef »

BCDelica wrote:That's the third review read, this year, that ProComp AT's out preform BFG AT's in wet snow. With newer BFG AT's holding plenty of snow within the tread they preformed better for us in all 'white stuff' conditions cept ice then extreme ice Bridgestone winter tires (which had the softest compound ever seen). Nough said is, BFG AT's with plenty tread rock as snow tires and I believe these different reviews about the ProComp AT's - makes them a must try IMO.

Saw the Nokian Vatiiva M/T's, tough looking tire - too bad we decided to sell the 5 Toyota alloys bought like 1.5 years ago (honestly couldn't bring myself to replace near new tires just for the look of bigger meats - shame on me).
I'll only be running ProComp AT's on my Delica when it comes in.

They are too darn sticky in slick/rainy roads and in the snow/gravel to pass up.

The only downside compared to the BFG AT KO's is that the ProComp AT's wear faster.

Other than the wear/life of the tire, I've tried revo's, kumo's, BFG's, geolander's and the Procomp's beat them all.

I do a fair bit of trailin' as well and they grip dry/dusty rock very well.

If they are rotated as per norm, nothing on the current market comes close to them for wet/snow/dust performance that I've personally tried in the past 8 years.

Jesse
Mattieashton
Vehicle: NIL

Post by Mattieashton »

There are various brands that you can choose from depending on the kind that you are comfortable and that which suits the car. Check out: http://www.clicktire.com. They have a great range of tires and wheels and I’m sure you will find the right ones to suit your needs.
FredVenne
Vehicle: L300 Exceed Pop-Top, Pajero Exceed

Post by FredVenne »

Hey guys,

You might hate me for reopening this thread but... I’ve looked around and cannot find an answer. First thing first... we blew a tire... So, we are looking for new tires.

I know I know... the tire we have are originals from Japan... I know I know don’t throw me anything... Here in Alberta they don’t really care about the tires AND... they were brand new when we got the van. So I thought we might just save a few hundreds dollars for a little while. But with some extreme conditions that we have put on these tires, they are now at the end of their lives.

The thing is that my rims are 16 1\4 wide. But on the tire it says 30X9.50R15 6P R 105N. Don’t know how to convert these numbers.

Any help anyone... even if we are delinquent?

Fred & Kim
Why driving on well traveled route when you can beat your own path...
-The Mighty Yeti

Fun Long Road Trip on road, dirt and ice - Delica L300 Pop-Top Camper
Fun playing around in the mud and work horse - Pajero GDI 3.5L 6cyl LWB
Best vehicle in all conditions - Subary Impreza WRX
jessef

Post by jessef »

your tires are 30x9.5x15

your wheels are stock Delica 15x6 rims

The tires you have on there are too wide for that rim. Lucky you don't pop a bead on a highway corner

The proper tire size (max) you can fit on that rim is 235/75/15
FredVenne
Vehicle: L300 Exceed Pop-Top, Pajero Exceed

Post by FredVenne »

Here are some photos.

Hummm... I did not get what you meant by “pop a bead”...
Attachments
P1050154.jpg
P1050154.jpg (386.57 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
P1050155.jpg
P1050155.jpg (451.49 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
P1050152.jpg
P1050152.jpg (559.31 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
Why driving on well traveled route when you can beat your own path...
-The Mighty Yeti

Fun Long Road Trip on road, dirt and ice - Delica L300 Pop-Top Camper
Fun playing around in the mud and work horse - Pajero GDI 3.5L 6cyl LWB
Best vehicle in all conditions - Subary Impreza WRX

Return to “General Discussion”