The Perfect Vehicle!

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

newdelicafan
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Delica l400 V6 Gas LWB

The Perfect Vehicle!

Post by newdelicafan »

Hi all,
I'm new to the delica world and i'm looking to buy my first Delica. I've done as much research as possible, but as with everything there aren't any clear answers - so i'm coming here for advice!

I'm buying a delica for two reasons - 1. to use as a city vehicle and explore the surrounding amazing landscape of BC. Therefore it'll be used around the city and as a camper. 2. Eventually - when I know my Delica back to front, in 2 or so years i'm looking to do a roadtrip from Vancouver BC down to the Tierra del Fuego. SO, before I buy the van I want to make sure I get the right one!

1. First and foremost - Gas or Diesel. Its an age old question - and currently i'm leaning towards Gas simply for availability of fuel, slightly larger engines, and ease of repair.

2. Which series? I'm looking at the L400s and have been recommended by one mechanic a Series 1 - as they have fewer electronics in the motor. But this older series means finding a clean one is more difficult, and also means all of the vehicles sit in the 1994-1997 range and nothing newer - although there are new imports happening daily.

3. How worried should i be about Mileage? The vehicles all being imported have low mileage but havent had work done on them so will still need a full once over. Is it just as good to buy something with 150,000 + thats got good service history and has had the head gasket, timing belt, etc done? Or given I want to keep it for a few years and do work to it and a roadtrip should i aim for something newer with sub 100,000 kms?!

4. If buying from an importer in Vancouver, BC, there are a lot of dodgy ones out there - i'll of course get a pre-purchase inspection, but is there anything i really need to look for?
And finally, can anyone recommend good Delica garages in Vancouver BC with mechanics that are willing to assist and know their stuff?

Thanks so much and sorry for the long message but getting answers to any of this stuff is tough!!!

Cheers,

New Delica Fan!
poochike
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1999 L400 Chamonix Gen2

The Perfect Vehicle!

Post by poochike »

newdelicafan wrote:Hi all,
I'm new to the delica world and i'm looking to buy my first Delica. I've done as much research as possible, but as with everything there aren't any clear answers - so i'm coming here for advice!

I'm buying a delica for two reasons - 1. to use as a city vehicle and explore the surrounding amazing landscape of BC. Therefore it'll be used around the city and as a camper. 2. Eventually - when I know my Delica back to front, in 2 or so years i'm looking to do a roadtrip from Vancouver BC down to the Tierra del Fuego. SO, before I buy the van I want to make sure I get the right one!

1. First and foremost - Gas or Diesel. Its an age old question - and currently i'm leaning towards Gas simply for availability of fuel, slightly larger engines, and ease of repair.

2. Which series? I'm looking at the L400s and have been recommended by one mechanic a Series 1 - as they have fewer electronics in the motor. But this older series means finding a clean one is more difficult, and also means all of the vehicles sit in the 1994-1997 range and nothing newer - although there are new imports happening daily.

3. How worried should i be about Mileage? The vehicles all being imported have low mileage but havent had work done on them so will still need a full once over. Is it just as good to buy something with 150,000 + thats got good service history and has had the head gasket, timing belt, etc done? Or given I want to keep it for a few years and do work to it and a roadtrip should i aim for something newer with sub 100,000 kms?!

4. If buying from an importer in Vancouver, BC, there are a lot of dodgy ones out there - i'll of course get a pre-purchase inspection, but is there anything i really need to look for?
And finally, can anyone recommend good Delica garages in Vancouver BC with mechanics that are willing to assist and know their stuff?

Thanks so much and sorry for the long message but getting answers to any of this stuff is tough!!!

Cheers,

New Delica Fan!
Welcome!

1. A gas L400 will be cheaper initial purchase, but they are pigs on fuel consumption. Not saying the diesels aren't also pigs, but they're a bit better and diesel is cheaper. There are more and more gassers showing up here in B.C., but from my understanding all are newer series 2 1998 forward type thing. There is a lot of info on the problems associated with the diesel L300/L400, but because the gas engines are fairly new to our shores I don't see much talk on our forum yet about known issues. I'm sure there will be many, just like the diesel. Once you work out the kinks I'm sure you'll have a good vehicle either way.

2. I've owned a series 1 L300 and am now into a series 3 L400 (basically the same as series 2). The L300 I bought with 89k on the L400 with 189k. The L300 between 170/200k I had to do cylinder head, turbo, injection pump seals, exhaust, alternator and I'm sure a few other things. The L400 between 189/200k ive had to do cylinder head, full suspension front and rear bushings and all, alternator, some electrical to do with emissions, exhaust, injectors and I'm sure some other stuff. In my experience with the diesel around the 200k mark you will start having the expensive repairs which are for the most part unavoidable. There will.be similar issues with the gas delis I'm sure. The diesel engines will last longer if maintained well. I sold my L300 with 320k on the clock and keep in touch with the buyer and it's still going strong.

3. I would avoid a gas engine with high mileage. A well maintained high mileage diesel serviced at a place like CVI or Coombs Country Auto I would consider. Something to also consider is the closer you get to 25 years old the closer it is to being sold to the U.S. which drives the price way up. Mardy at Rising Sun is a fairly honest importer. Coombs Country is a very honest importer. I'm sure there are others, but you are correct in that lots of new ones with no reputation are popping up.

4. Good mechanics. CVI auto in Abbotsford, Coombs Country Auto in Coombs, RJD I'm North Vancouver.

There have been at least 2 Delicas that have made that trip South. One L300 DinoEvo, worth googling. An L400 series 1. There is a blog on this one too but I cant remember what it's called.

Feel free to pm me with any more questions and I'll do my best to answer from my experience.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

The Perfect Vehicle!

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

poochike wrote:...I've owned a series 1 L300...
I've only seen pictures of the series one Delicas (also known as Colts). Reminds me of the VW Microbus.
I'm a tradesman and I've got a series three L300 (1992), awesome vehicles. 2.5 Turbo diesel, 88 inch wheelbase that will go pretty much anywhere (and get you out of there, as well) and also good for parking into small spots. They are simple to work on and great for modification, plus they hold lots of stuff, You can fit a stack of four by eight plywood in the back. Awesome machines.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

Return to “General Discussion”