Fuse Blowing Mystery

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

robnlauren
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1996 L400 LWB Royal Exceed

Fuse Blowing Mystery

Post by robnlauren »

Hoping someone on this board here can shed some insight!

I have a fuse that keeps blowing, it's a 10A under the hood fuse for "Tail lamp".

Basically without this fuse I have no dash lights, and my rear running lights won't turn on.

I checked the license plate lights and one was blown, so I replaced it. I took the rear hatch paneling off and checked all the other bulbs but they were good.

When I replace the 10A fuse, the license plate lights come it. I also get a door chime that doesn't ding but instead remains constantly on - even when there aren't any keys in the ignition. If I put the keys in the chime stops but as soon as I take the keys out the chime goes back on.

Now here's the even more confusing part. The license plate lights stay on even with the van lights turned off. When I go to close the rear hatch the fuse blows again.

I've tried replacing the fuse once the hatch is closed, and the license plate lights and the door chime come back on (the dashlights do work properly with the fuse in). And when I open the rear hatch the fuse is still good - but the license plate lights are still on, and the door chime going.

When I close the back hatch again the fuse blows.

I've checked the wiring for exposed wire, but it all looks pretty good.

Any thoughts on what to do moving forward? Thanks in advance for your help!
204explorer
Vehicle: l400

Fuse Blowing Mystery

Post by 204explorer »

robnlauren wrote:Hoping someone on this board here can shed some insight!

I have a fuse that keeps blowing, it's a 10A under the hood fuse for "Tail lamp".

Basically without this fuse I have no dash lights, and my rear running lights won't turn on.

I checked the license plate lights and one was blown, so I replaced it. I took the rear hatch paneling off and checked all the other bulbs but they were good.

When I replace the 10A fuse, the license plate lights come it. I also get a door chime that doesn't ding but instead remains constantly on - even when there aren't any keys in the ignition. If I put the keys in the chime stops but as soon as I take the keys out the chime goes back on.

Now here's the even more confusing part. The license plate lights stay on even with the van lights turned off. When I go to close the rear hatch the fuse blows again.

I've tried replacing the fuse once the hatch is closed, and the license plate lights and the door chime come back on (the dashlights do work properly with the fuse in). And when I open the rear hatch the fuse is still good - but the license plate lights are still on, and the door chime going.

When I close the back hatch again the fuse blows.

I've checked the wiring for exposed wire, but it all looks pretty good.

Any thoughts on what to do moving forward? Thanks in advance for your help!
Did you pull back the rubber boot in the hinge area? This is where the wires move and bend every time the door opens. Also with the tailgate open push the door latch closed with your hand. This will activate the light switch. It is build into the latch. See if the fuse blows that way.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
robnlauren
Vehicle: 1996 L400 LWB Royal Exceed

Fuse Blowing Mystery

Post by robnlauren »

Wow, thanks! That was super helpful.

I hadn't checked the rubber boot area so I'll look there tomorrow. And the tip about the tailgate switch is also a good lead.

Return to “General Discussion”