Locate the Recreation Site

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Re: Locate the Recreation Site

Post by lrp374 »

I spent 3 days last week @ Humamilt Lake. The site is about 90 km north of Hwy #1, about half is on a good gravel road. The sign for the site is a bit hard to find as it is partway down the road and doesn't identify the site. The site has 2 great campsites and maybe 3 okay sites. One unique feature of the site is the boat launch. I typically can drop the boat right in the water. Here I had to unload it and then ease the boat down a ramp made of 2 large logs. Going down was easy. I took a picture of the best site which has a series of steps down to a small sandy beach which includes a very nice dock. This is only the second Rec Site I've found with a dock. The return up the ramp was not so easy. I used Konadog's trick of low range 2 wheel drive to be able to stand on the ground to watch as I slowly pulled up the boat stopping several time to make sure the wheels stayed on the logs. The lake was not a great fishing lake but does have shallows, steep dropoffs and a lot of deep areas up to 100 feet. I've attached the route from Hwy #1. The site can also be accessed by using the Adams lake FSR's from Agate bay ( east of Barriere) . Both routes are about the same distance from Kamloops.
Attachments
Rec Sign
Rec Sign
100_7138a.JPG (336.57 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Unloading Boat
Unloading Boat
100_7124a.JPG (292.46 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Boat down Ramp
Boat down Ramp
100_7125a.JPG (180.09 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Camp Site
Camp Site
100_7127a.JPG (274.99 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Beach and Dock
Beach and Dock
100_7128a.JPG (254.38 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Up boat ramp
Up boat ramp
100_7136a.JPG (282.44 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Route to Humamilt
Route to Humamilt
Route from #1.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I forgot to mention the new poles for my tarp. These use a simple latch system which works great as they are very easy to adjust with tension on them ---- far better than the old set screw type. I got mine @ Surplus Herby's but they are likely available anywhere.
Attachments
Poles - new and old
Poles - new and old
100_7153a.JPG (130.15 KiB) Viewed 6313 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I spent 3 days last week @ Boot Lake and a further 3 days @ Pennask Lake. The Boot Lake site is just north of the connector @ the Elkhart turnoff. The road is partially paved and the last 3km or so are good gravel except for multiple de-activation ditches – some deep enough you have to be very careful not to scrape the steps. The site has 4 official camp tables but only 2 are really much good. The pine beetle has really done a number on the trees in this area. An unofficial site on the east side of the lake is quite nice but was always occupied when we were there. This lake has LARGE quantities of fish in the 12” range and a few as large as 15. It is easy to catch 30 fish a day if you want and is therefore a great kids lake. A number of other sites such as Island Lake, Paradise Lake, Bob's Lake and Elkhart are all very close. All have been affected by the pine beetle so a lot of the campsites are very open. This area is a great place for a few days. Pennask Provincial Park is east @ the Sunset main turnoff. I have previously added info on the site in this post. The road was a lot drier this year and when we were there the park was nearly empty. Fishing is similar to Boot as the fish are small but the lake is huge in comparison. Those in float tubes better pay attention to the wind!

I'm sure others have been out enjoying the weather. Where have you camped? Lets see some pictures and read comments on the sites!!
Attachments
Sign @ Site
Sign @ Site
100_7169a.JPG (282.69 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
Camp
Camp
100_7166a.JPG (280.21 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
Boat launch
Boat launch
100_7179a.JPG (268.64 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
Lake view looking east showing beetle kill
Lake view looking east showing beetle kill
100_7175a.JPG (189.99 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
Others were also fishing
Others were also fishing
100_7170a.JPG (389.09 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
Rout from Hwy 97 ( North is the left side )
Rout from Hwy 97 ( North is the left side )
Boot Lake Area.jpg (171.88 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I spent 3 days the second week of July on the Bonaparte plateau northwest of Kamloops. I stayed @ Windy lake but stopped by the plethora of lakes on the way to and from Windy. Lakes such as Mayson, Windfall and Dunsapie on the way in and Whitewood, Scott and Gorman on the way out. Other routes also have several lakes that have Rec. Sites and good fishing.

Windy lake used to be a great fishing lake but this trip was a little disappointing as most of the fish were small.. The camp has 3 sites but 2 are very close. Another feature of the area is a hike to Skoatl point. It is a volcanic plug you can hike to the top of for great views of the entire area. You Tube has video's of the trek. I've also attached a picture of the old mud bog Gorman boat launch as well as the new over the mud wooden launch ramp.

So who else uses the great Recreation Site BC has to offer???
Attachments
Windy Lake Sign
Windy Lake Sign
100_7199a.JPG (226.22 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
Windy Lake Preferred Site
Windy Lake Preferred Site
100_7200a.JPG (265.3 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
Windy Lake Boat Launch
Windy Lake Boat Launch
100_7201a.JPG (178.62 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
Old Gorman  mud access
Old Gorman mud access
100_3445a.JPG (312.1 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
New Gorman wooden lake access
New Gorman wooden lake access
100_7204a.JPG (294 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

I'm intrigued with the new addition to your wagon, slick. Also, nice leveling job.

The area looks stunning.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I like the addition as well! I forgot to include the access to Windy. I've attached the route I used in and out. Additional routes area available including the Jamison Creek FSR which starts just north of Kamloops on the west side of the river. this is a great area in the summer as most of the plateau is around 4000 ' .
Attachments
Trip In - longer route but better roads.
Trip In - longer route but better roads.
Trip In.jpg (83.23 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
Trip Out - shorter route but some areas may be cause some BC pinstripes.
Trip Out - shorter route but some areas may be cause some BC pinstripes.
Trip Out.jpg (222.7 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I'll add another lake in the Kamloops area that can be a great place to camp and fish. The pictures, except for one are from a few years ago but show the area. The site is accessible to all modes of transportation from bike to motorhome and can be quite busy during spring and fall. The boat launch is easy for any boat. The 1 fish limit is not really an issue as the 1 you catch can be all the excitement you need for the day. As the lake is only 20 km from town this leaves plenty of time to reach the bar to celebrate even in the middle of summer.
I'll leave it to others to update till late September as I'll be busy doing other things till then. I'm sure Wayne or Kevin must have a few good trips from this year they'd like to share!! Maybe Nordo can show us a few places he has used his fancy RTT this year.
Attachments
Typical camp areas ( Not in Camping Season)
Typical camp areas ( Not in Camping Season)
100_3841a.JPG (275.96 KiB) Viewed 6096 times
Boat Launch
Boat Launch
100_4433a.JPG (221.87 KiB) Viewed 6096 times
My one fish for the Day
My one fish for the Day
IMAG0851a.jpg (104.26 KiB) Viewed 6096 times
Route from North Kamloops
Route from North Kamloops
Route.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 6096 times
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Very much enjoying your posts Larry, but there's been no camping for me this year, that's a first in a long time. Luckily lots of traveling!

But I will post a picture I took this month to see if someone can recognize the location. I did recreate here, and hint, it's not in BC...

Image Call me BCDelica-less
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Hey Kevin if it's in Canada it would likely be in the Yukon with stuff left over from building the Alaska Highway. That front unit has some weird tracks and looks like it's amphibious so it could be anywhere. Let's here the story!!
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

The amphibious tank is part of the display in the newer NWT Mining and Geological Interpretive Centre in Yellowknife. Though still in the start up phase it has a fantastic amount of different aged equipment gathered together. The tank was a WW2 landing craft that was shipped to the NWT in the early fifties with hopes that it would be great vehicle for mine exploration in the difficult to access areas in that land of rock and water, but it proved to maintenance heavy.

I really enjoyed the Yellowknife area, it's quite different and plan to explore even more soon.

Sombe K'e Park, Yellowknife

Neat gate made of old bicycles in Yellowknife

This is Yukon this month, the SS Klondike in Whitehorse

Just a collection of classic outboards put to rest in the Yukon

Image Call me BCDelica-less
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Thanks for the explanation on the 'tank'. That of course leads to more questions as I have been looking @ making that trip ever since I spent some time in the Yukon a few years ago. I was looking @ kind of a circle tour going up from near Ft. Nelson and coming back through Alberta. The info I have indicates that most is likely paved but the section from Hwy 77 to 7 to 1 really doesn't give me a lot of confidence. If you were on that road what was it like? As per usual any and all info is greatly appreciated.
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Just got back from 3 glorious fall days fishing @ Thalia Lake. Nice @ 22+ during the day but – 2 @ night. Thank goodness the fire ban is over!! Thalia is one of several lakes off Pike Mountain road north of Princeton. The lakes can be accessed from Hwy 5 or Coalmont Rd. Both roads are good gravel roads but coming from the west can be rough do to a few steep sections. Coming from the coast you can take the Coquihalla to the Brookmere exit or Hwy 5 from Princeton. The later is a lot less gravel and may even be quicker.
The camp sites @ Thalia are one deluxe site @ the north end c/w your own toilet and several sites @ the southeast side some suitable for small RV's. An open area is also @ the south end for group camping or unfortunately big parties some weekends. Fishing @ these lakes can be good. The fish can be plentiful but most times are a few larger fish in the 2 to 4# range. This trip, although the weather was great, was one of the few fish days.
Attachments
Typical SE Site from Previous Trip
Typical SE Site from Previous Trip
100_6337a.JPG (233.45 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
Deluxe North End Site from Previous Trip
Deluxe North End Site from Previous Trip
100_46141a.JPG (202.52 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
South site c/w my new friend Glenn
South site c/w my new friend Glenn
100_7458a.jpg (246.15 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
South dock & Boat Launch
South dock & Boat Launch
100_7454a.JPG (106.58 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
Nice drop off @ North End
Nice drop off @ North End
100_7456a.JPG (143.58 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
Overall Route to Thalia from East or West
Overall Route to Thalia from East or West
Overall Routea.jpg (235.31 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
Thalia Lake Area
Thalia Lake Area
Thalia Sitesa.jpg (162.81 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

This month I have abandoned the Rec. Site list for a Provincial park ( Black Lake @ Roche Lake PP ) and a rustic space near Blue Lake. Blue lake has a few areas that people have been rough camping for years. Rustic in my books means NO services except maybe a rock fire pit. One area @ Black lake has a table and the other areas are rustic. Of course camping is FREE.
Both lakes are between Kamloops and Merritt and can be great fly fishing lakes. Blue is reported to have large fish that are difficult to catch and Black has both Rainbow and Brook trout. Black also has a sunken peninsula near the middle of the lake. What a great feature. One area in the middle of the lake is less than 5 feet deep. The access to Blue is quite easy and has only a few tricky corners to make. Black lake is also easy except for the last KM. The road has lots of rock and a few pot holes. Late in the year the pots holes are not deep and the rocks are easy to see. The spring would be quite different. All the pot holes have hard bottoms except one so it's easy to 'feel' your way through them.

The Blue Lake pictures were taken in August during the forest fires so they are not to clear. The Black Lake pictures were taken during a trip in October which explains the mostly bare trees. As usual, if anyone wants more info on these lakes or others in the area you only have to ask.
Attachments
Boat Launch & Camping Area
Boat Launch & Camping Area
100_7255a.JPG (192.58 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
Weed bed near the Boat launch
Weed bed near the Boat launch
100_7256a.JPG (223.81 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
Rout to Blue Lake from Hwy 5
Rout to Blue Lake from Hwy 5
Route to Bluea.jpg (297.37 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

The attached pictures are for Black Lake---
Attachments
Boat Launch area
Boat Launch area
100_7465a.JPG (244.02 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
Rough camping area @ near end of lake
Rough camping area @ near end of lake
100_7466a.JPG (255.38 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
Nice camping area @ far end of Lake
Nice camping area @ far end of Lake
100_7467a.JPG (273.26 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
Rock infested puddle
Rock infested puddle
100_7469a.JPG (327.03 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
One of several puddles
One of several puddles
100_7470a.JPG (253.03 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
Route from Hwy 5 to Black lake
Route from Hwy 5 to Black lake
Route to Blacka.jpg (179.64 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Fred lake was my last real fishing trip of the year. I was a great year starting in mid April and lasting till the end of October. Lots of lakes were open well into November but I am a fair weather fisherman (and besides who wants to drink beer when you don't need a cooler). Fred is east of the Lac La Jeune provincial park. The trail is pretty good except for the last km. It is quite narrow and has several mud holes that can be deep if it's a wet year. The trail also has lots of rocks of various sizes so it makes for a slow but entertaining kilometer. The site is divided into 2 areas. The first area has a reasonable boat launch but when I arrived a large tree was crossing the path and I didn't bring my chain saw. I should no better as a good portion of the trees have beetle kill and can come down @ any time. The second site has a much steeper bank and a large root near the base. It looked like a minor inconvenience initially but as I backed down over it my front step was now supporting the front of the van. This became my first real test for the winch I installed in the spring. I was able to find a suitable tree and with a little effort my front wheel was back over the root. The back wheel was less effort but still needed a little help from the winch. The fishing for the day was slow with only a couple of little ones. The last time I was there, 2 years ago, I caught a 4 pound fish that was 24” in length. (I know it was 4# as my fishing buddy had a digital scale with him ---and I even have a picture of the fish). Both camp areas have a few spots flat enough to camp, a fish cleaning table and fire pit. This site is another 'rough camp'.
I have lots of info on other lakes and I will continue to provide a few in the New Year. Most are not current and some are even before the Delica. I'm sure lots of people on the forum have spent time in the great outdoors this year and in the past and hopefully will share their stories. Please feel free to add your info @ anytime even if it doesn't include fishing!
Attachments
Turn from main road on to trail
Turn from main road on to trail
7484a.jpg (316.77 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
Typical puddle with additional challenge
Typical puddle with additional challenge
100_7487a.JPG (291.9 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
More shallow puddles
More shallow puddles
100_7489a.JPG (286 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
Puddle and typical rocks in the trail
Puddle and typical rocks in the trail