Locate the Recreation Site

Topics may eventually be moved to other Delica Canada forums.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Re: Locate the Recreation Site

Post by lrp374 »

Thanks for the info Kevin. It's nice to know you still take a look @ the info once in a while. The picture you have of the ice fishing I presume is not the Swan Lake near Vernon as that likely is just about ready to be ice free. Anyway I was curious how you get into Babe Lake so I enlarged the map and added Google earth as pdf's so you can suggest a likely method. This should allow more than an X.

Thanks
Larry
Attachments
Babe GE.pdf
(492.89 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Babe Garmin.pdf
(423.03 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Always keep posted and of course my mind always drift to fishing. That was Swan between Grande Prairie and Dawson Creek, with the BC and Alberta border running down the middle of the lake. https://www.facebook.com/events/1661968264069701/.Though it's been a far warmer winter than normal, but with so much less snow we had 30 inches of ice!

The road, start of to the south of the lake, does show on the Garmin map, it's was never really a road and wanders through the trees.

One of these lakes nearby shares my surname.

Cheers,
Kevin
Image Call me BCDelica-less
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Well Wayne ( TLGorWF or Moby ( short for Mobile) Dick ) I went out to Morgan today to check it out and judging from the number of people it must have been open for more than a week, I attached pictures of it and Six Mile to show you can fish near Kamloops in March no problem if you have a snowmobile suit and a thermos!!
Attachments
Morgan from the North End
Morgan from the North End
100_7571a.JPG (155.59 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
Morgan from the South End
Morgan from the South End
100_7574a.JPG (159.17 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
Six Mile Boat Brigade
Six Mile Boat Brigade
100_7575a.JPG (151.26 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
Silly Shore fishermen,kids etc.
Silly Shore fishermen,kids etc.
100_7576a.JPG (192.58 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
Feathered fisherbirds in a pond near Six Mile
Feathered fisherbirds in a pond near Six Mile
100_7578a.JPG (265.12 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
thelazygreenfox
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 99 white Hi roof gas Chamonix

Post by thelazygreenfox »

Larry
That's great news. Any fish being caught? :-D By you I hope!!
MD
Thats Moby Dick :M as in the great white whale....
Wear your mask, it keeps others from seeing the parsley in your teeth
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Tunkwa and Leighton Lakes are in a Provincial Park southwest of Kamloops. Tunkwa is known for growing large fish in significant quantities. The lakes are @ 3750 feet so can produce fish even in the summer. I took an number of pictures of the park some time ago as it has a special layout which would suit a “large” Delica meet for the interior, BC or even Western Canada if the interest was there. The park has a large number of quad sites which provide 4 tables around a single fire pit which is great for groups. Usually the sites are quite spread out and as the park allows informal camping this could easily grow to double that if desired. The sites are mostly open, as are the lakes, but a few treed sites are available for those who want a single site. The park is large and could accommodate 50 or more units with little trouble.

In addition to fishing the park has a dedicated ATV area and lots of trails are available in the area for mountain biking or hiking for those interested. ( Logan Lake is quite close and has a liquor outlet for those that come ill prepared.)

I have provided a map showing various routes to the park. It is easily accessible from the Coquihalla, Connector, #1 highway and a few more adventuresome routes. If anyone is interested in the site or attempting to get a group together for a meet we could start an event on the forum. It seems that the meets have trouble getting even a few together so maybe it's time we tried the other approach and go for the MEGGA Event!! I would recommend late August or early September if anyone is interested.
Attachments
Typical quad table site
Typical quad table site
100_4422a.JPG (215.72 KiB) Viewed 7782 times
Quad tables near small bay
Quad tables near small bay
100_4423a.JPG (241.85 KiB) Viewed 7782 times
Larger area showing quantity of sites
Larger area showing quantity of sites
100_4425a.JPG (207.14 KiB) Viewed 7782 times
ATV area and trails
ATV area and trails
100_4426a.JPG (325.57 KiB) Viewed 7782 times
Routes to Tunkwa from various directions. North to the Left.
Routes to Tunkwa from various directions. North to the Left.
Routes to Tunkwaa.jpg (257.85 KiB) Viewed 7782 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I spent a day exploring potential camping and fishing lakes up Deadman Creek earlier this spring as I hadn't been their for some time and wanted to confirm boat launches. Deadman Creek road is north of Hwy. #1 between Cache Creek and Savona. The road was built in the early days to reach a Gold mine @ Vidette. The lakes in the valley are quite small and very narrow. The fishing quality depends on who you talk to. The nice part is it is a low elevation so can have ice off quite early. The drive is quite interesting with several changes in topography including some interesting HooDoo's right adjacent to the road. A Rec site is available @ Skookum Lake but really isn't much more than a pull-off from the road. The Deadman lake site is nicely treed and quite open with a few sites right on the lake shore. Beyond Deadman lake is Vidette Lake with a nice site across the road from the lake as well as a small resort. If you venture this far a trip to Deadman Falls is a must. From what I can determine they are between 150 and 200 feet. Pretty impressive when you can get as close as you want. I have a route map if anyone is interested which I can add as a jpg or a pdf.
Attachments
HooDoo's near Skookum Lake
HooDoo's near Skookum Lake
100_7611a.JPG (105.08 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
Rec Site Sign @ Road
Rec Site Sign @ Road
100_7605a.JPG (331.38 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
Lakeside Camp site
Lakeside Camp site
100_7608a.JPG (225.02 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
Caution Sign
Caution Sign
100_7595a.JPG (286.2 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
Top of the Deadman Creek Falls
Top of the Deadman Creek Falls
100_7597a.JPG (330.09 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
Deadman Creek Falls
Deadman Creek Falls
100_7598a.JPG (145.66 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
msimps
Vehicle: '94 L400 "The Trail Whale"

Post by msimps »

I've had "the green turtle" for about 3 months and the first real outing was to the Statlu Lake, which is found NE of Stave Lake and W of Harrison Lake. It's accessed off the Chelhalis-Mystery FSR and then you hike in. Some amazing falls on the way up, plus a beautiful, quiet lake (with a couple fish apparently). I'll be back soon to hike up to the upper lake (Brotherhood) and maybe spend a night at one of the camp sites. The Green Turtle ran like a dream...my interior/exterior thermometer even blinked on a couple times over the rough terrain :-D

lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

This past week I took a day to check out a few new sites for future trips. I came across the same unsightly mess @ each site. The picture below is from Loosemore Lake north of Princeton. Why do people need to build a new fire pit when one already exists or even worse remove the typical circular metal fire pit roll it down to the lake and then proceed to make a pit out of rocks, burn half their beer cans and top it off with a fresh diaper to put out the fire. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a 4x4 only site or ones you can access with an RV. This seems to be a more common occurrence these days and one almost has to take a big garbage bag to clean the place up before it's fit to use. Has anyone else found this problem or have any ideas for solutions. It really spoils to the trip to the pristine wilderness!!

On a more positive note I would like to thank msimps for his contrbutition and hope others will add their info on trips to Rec sites or other good camping spots.
Attachments
Fire Pits
Fire Pits
100_7697a.JPG (315.44 KiB) Viewed 7705 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

After my little rant I'll get back to the benefit of Rec Sites. I camped @ Prosser Lake earlier this year. The lake is about 5km off Hwy 5A north of Princeton and easy to find. Other lakes are also located on this road and FSR roads can take you to Missezula and beyond if you wish. The road in is suitable for RV's except for the last km which is a challenge for 2WD vehicles but could be done if they have clearance. The boat launch requires 4WD to return up the hill. The site has 3 tables, 1 near the boat launch and 2 up the 'hill'. I am told fishing can be quite good and I've now talked to a guy that has caught lots of fish there. I spent my time @ a very nice drop off watching fish swim back and forth past several of my best flys. Next time WILL be different.
Attachments
Best camp spot & sign
Best camp spot & sign
100_7684a.JPG (309.36 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
Boat launch
Boat launch
100_7686a.JPG (313.98 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
Competition
Competition
100_7688a.JPG (331.72 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
Lake view
Lake view
100_7691a.JPG (160.22 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
Route in from Hwy 5A
Route in from Hwy 5A
Route from 5Aa.jpg (150.71 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Frogmoore lake is really 2 lakes separated by a dam. It is a little off the beaten path, although very close to the Coquihalla Hwy. I visit it about every 2 years or so and is usually occupied but not busy. One very frustrating part of fishing the lake is the very aggressive loon. Hopefully it has gone to loon heaven by now. Both lakes produce fish with the east lake having better fish in quantity and quality. The journey to the east lake is via a channel which can be a little time consuming especially if a busy beaver is in action while you are fishing. The camping facilities are rustic but do include a toilet. Every thing else you provide. A nice lake for a day ( if camped @ Lac La Jeune ) or a weekend camp out. The route is about 21 km from the Logan lake turn off and if you are adventurous a 5th wheel has been seen @ the site so the road is easy for any Delica.
Attachments
Smaller west lake
Smaller west lake
100_4338a.JPG (194.51 KiB) Viewed 7646 times
Channel to larger east lake
Channel to larger east lake
100_4335a.JPG (198.09 KiB) Viewed 7646 times
Rough camp area between lakes
Rough camp area between lakes
100_4339a.JPG (258.62 KiB) Viewed 7646 times
Typical fish size
Typical fish size
100_6787a.JPG (176.33 KiB) Viewed 7646 times
Beaver dam blocking the way.
Beaver dam blocking the way.
100_6788a.JPG (287.25 KiB) Viewed 7646 times
NOTE:  North is to the RIGHT of the picture.
NOTE: North is to the RIGHT of the picture.
Route from coq.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 7646 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I recently completed a trip to Cariboo Mountains Provincial Park and thought others may be interested in the trip to an area of BC not often considered for a retreat from the rat race. The park is located between Bowron and Wells Gray Provincial Parks. The attraction for me was Ghost Lake and potential great fishing.
I have included a a route map to and from 100 Mile House. The route colors indicate the following:
Magenta: trip to Cariboo Mountains Provincial Park from 100 Mile House with a side trip to Pendleton Lake which is just above Mahood lake.
Green: A bridge on the magenta route near Horsefly was being replaced so I had to detour via Crooked Lake. This is a large very clear lake with a 2 site Rec Site right on the beach and a second site @ the north end for those who need more space.
Yellow: Return trip via Wells/Barkerville or a side trip to the Bowron Lakes.
Cyan: Return via Likely and 150 Mile House.

Entering @ 100 Mile House the road is paved to just past Canim Lake, from that point on except for a few km. near Horsefly and Likely the road is gravel and usually in good shape. The side trip to Pendleton was great again but the road definitely left a few pinstripes even though I did hack bush for the last 10 km. The trip north to Horsefly was a scouting mission for future trips and provided 6 Rec Sites for future camping (as noted by the little green tents). Most were larger lakes and some have camping right on the beach like @ Bosk and Crooked lake. Another 6 sites were along the road between Horsefly and Cariboo Mountains PP. The portion of the road from Likely to Barkerville is called the Gold Rush Trail with several signs along the road to point out some of the history.

See Part 2 for the remainder--
Attachments
Route from 100 Mile
Route from 100 Mile
Route from 150 Mile.jpg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 7602 times
Crooked Lake beach Rec Site
Crooked Lake beach Rec Site
100_7811a.JPG (185.14 KiB) Viewed 7602 times
Riverside Park in Likely
Riverside Park in Likely
100_7822a.JPG (218.89 KiB) Viewed 7602 times
Gold Rush Trail typical sign
Gold Rush Trail typical sign
100_7824a.JPG (358.73 KiB) Viewed 7602 times
Cariboo Lake from Ladies Rec Site
Cariboo Lake from Ladies Rec Site
100_7828a.JPG (127.41 KiB) Viewed 7602 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

Part 2 of Cariboo Mountains PP

The mountains near the park are over 8000 feet and some even had snow @ the top this time of year. The park itself is very rustic and looks rundown as maintenance must be a yearly thing @ most. The 2 remaining campsites have nice locations and the roar of the falls is very loud. The natural views available more than make up for the camp area. The falls are found via a trail and you can get right to the water if you wish as there are no barriers, signs or limitations. This can be dangerous but also gives access to see the power of the falls close up. The boat launch is a bit of a joke and unless you have a canoe, kayak or enough people to carry your boat to the lake fishing will be restricted to the shore. I tried fly casting from the shore but the log debris, my poor casting technique and the wet log footing made catching the little fish along the shore more of a chore than fun. The night I stayed @ the park we were 'treated' to a spectacular lightning show with thunder that seemed to last forever. If anyone wants further info or more specifics on the area please let me know.
Attachments
Typical scenery near the Park
Typical scenery near the Park
100_7833a.JPG (270.02 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
Campsite
Campsite
100_7836a.JPG (306.02 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
Upper falls
Upper falls
100_7839a.JPG (278.23 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
Boat Launch Road
Boat Launch Road
100_7848a.JPG (386.49 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
Ghost Lake
Ghost Lake
100_7849a.JPG (337.7 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
Ghost Lake shoreline
Ghost Lake shoreline
100_7851a.JPG (256.91 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
Lower Falls from the bridge
Lower Falls from the bridge
100_7856a.JPG (268.5 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I spent several days this month @ Mowson Pond near Gold Bridge after initially trying to get there via the Hurley FSR in June 2014. Snow was not a problem this time of year as it was in 2014. Mowson Pond area can be reached via the road from Lillooet, the Hurley FSR, or via the Pemberton Portage Road which goes via Seton Portage. Several methods are available to get to Lillooet from anywhere in the province.
Mowson Pond is a small lake up the Tyaughton lake road which can provide a good base for other fishing lakes in the area. It has about 7 sites with several only suited for tents. The site is used extensively by mountain bikers who come from all over to ride the trails in the mountains to the west. You almost feel out of place if you don't have @ least 2 bikes on the back of your vehicle. I don't know where they drove to in the morning but they always came back on their bikes. Most days they felt they road @ least 50 km.
The fishing while I was there was fairly spotty but every fish we caught was 22 or 23 inches or about 4 pounds. One or 2 of them a day should be enough for anyone. I'm really glad Claude ( Delica.ca member from Gun Lake) told me Mowson is the lake to fish in the area.

We also took a look @ other Rec Sites in the area and Kingdom Lake is a very nice site with smaller fish. HOWEVER, everyone immediately warns you about the mosquitoes if you go anytime during the summer. I'm almost tempted to go back in May or June to see if they are all exaggerating. I have some pictures if anyone is interested.

In addition to fishing and biking the history of the area ( gold) is interesting and if your looking for property houses are pretty cheap in Bralorne!!
Attachments
Possible Routes
Possible Routes
Alternate Routes a.jpg (442.34 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
Sign @ road
Sign @ road
100_7920a.JPG (767.17 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
General site area
General site area
100_7901a.JPG (725.86 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
Tenting sites near the water
Tenting sites near the water
100_7902a.JPG (731.46 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
My new friend Mathew from Surrey with our catch for the first day!
My new friend Mathew from Surrey with our catch for the first day!
100_7904a.JPG (653.23 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
msimps
Vehicle: '94 L400 "The Trail Whale"

Post by msimps »

I took the 3 older kids up to visit Grandma in Lillooet. We had a day to explore so we decided to head to Seton Lake as we'd heard there was a beach/campsite that was only accessible via FSR or paddling up the lake. I'd brought the Green Turtle, so naturally we choose to take the FSR. We drove West along the 99 (Duffy Lake) out of Lilloet and found the FSR on the right just before the Cinnamon Rec site. It's about a 20km road I think, but it's steep and there's lots to see so it took us a while, but the kids loved the snow at the peak and throwing rocks at the beach. We even crossed paths with another L300! Simply follow the main FSR the whole way, but take the road that branches to the right just before the active logging site. It brings you to a secluded beach with a couple fire pits and a beautiful view. Will definitely be camping there next summer if we're up in Lillooet again.

lrp374

Post by lrp374 »

I took a look @ my BackRoads maps and think I found the road you took. It looks like quite a trip. The number of switchbacks shows just how steep the terrain is. The cyan route is the likely road but I also added the yellow option as a possible route that is kind of shown on Google Earth. The map shows a Rec site , is that where the beach its you referred to? Thanks msimps for sharing your trip and I'll definitely add it to any tours I take to the area.
Attachments
Seton Lake Rec Site Road
Seton Lake Rec Site Road
Seton Rec.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 7473 times

Return to “General Discussion”