Cross-Canada, BC to Newfoundland

4x4 trips to Mexico, to the ski hill, or to the local grocery store...

Moderator: mark

calcos
Vehicle: '99 Delica

Cross-Canada, BC to Newfoundland

Post by calcos »

Over 14,000 kms into our trip from Nelson, BC to the eastern most point of North America, Cape Spear in Newfoundland where we turned around to go back west. I wondered where we'd spot our first Delica outside of BC...we both thought maybe Quebec, but we haven't seen one since leaving BC! We've heard some people mention they'd seen another one somewhere but we never did. Tons of curious stares, lots of questions from people...in Quebec my partner was driving on the highway when a couple of motorcycle cops pulled up beside us and one flashed his siren/lights on when he saw me on my phone. I looked up and pointed over to the driver's side in a "hey, I'm not driving" motion and he quickly turned his siren off and they sped off.

No mechanical issues at all on our trip (knock on wood)...we're in Ontario now on our way home. The trip is 2.5 months in total and if anyone is thinking about doing it, don't hesitate! It's been a trip of a lifetime. This shot is from Meat Cove, Nova Scotia on Cape Breton Island. It's NS's most northerly point and a very remote campground.
DSC09725.jpg
DSC09725.jpg (123.7 KiB) Viewed 9439 times
'99 S2 V6 3.0 gas engine, SWB, Crystal Lite roof
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Re: Cross-Canada, BC to Newfoundland

Post by lrp374 »

Let's see a few more pictures!! Were you lucky enough to have sun for the Cabot Trail? This is a trip every Canadian should do to get a real feel for how big and how different really Canada is!
calcos

Post by calcos »

I still have to sort through over a thousand and process them, but I will post some in due time. I've been posting a bit on my Instagram account here: https://www.instagram.com/vagabonderz/ I also have a bunch of video clips I'll need to edit into something worth watching.

We did get sun on the Cabot Trail, got to swim at Ingonish Beach which was beautiful. But it was off and on weather for sure, which is beautiful in its own way. Here's a misty shot of a moose I shot on the Skyline Trail:
moose.jpg
moose.jpg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 9418 times
calcos

Post by calcos »

Oh, and by the way I finally saw a couple Delis...an L300 in Dryden, ON...and a white L400 (just like mine) somewhere in Saskatchewan just off the TCH.
calcos

Post by calcos »

Here's a trans-Canada road trip guide I put together that has a lot of pics from my trip this past summer: http://matadornetwork.com/network/trans ... ips-earth/
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Post by lrp374 »

Thanks for the trip review. It sure brings back a lot of good memories from our trip in 2011. We took 4 months and it still wasn't long enough. I totally agree with your assessment of Newfoundland. They have a different outlook on life based I think on hundreds of years or isolation. I got a copy of " A History of Newfoundland" from a local bookstore closeout beginning with the Vikings and ending in 1895. It was written by a retired judge and he has quite a way with words - which should be expected I guess. It has all kinds of historical data, letters etc. from about the 1400's on. I'll loan it to anyone if they're interested.

Return to “Member Trips”