July Oregon Road Trip

4x4 trips to Mexico, to the ski hill, or to the local grocery store...

Moderator: mark

1994delicaman
Vehicle: KTM

July Oregon Road Trip

Post by 1994delicaman »

My father and I are planing a road trip to Oregon in mid July, we dont have a exact date yet. Everyone is welcome to join us, will update on location and date ASAP. please feel free if any of you want to suggest a place to visit. :M
1991 Mercedes 350SD Turbo W126
1997 Toyota Hiace camper 2.8l diesel
2000 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 direct injection
2006 smart car diesel CDI
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Mercedes GLK250 Bluetec
2018 KTM Superduke 1290 R
nxski
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1991 Delica L300 Super Exceed

Re: July Oregon Road Trip

Post by nxski »

Sounds cool! Might I suggest a drive along the beach near Florence? The coastline in Oregon is amazing! 8-)
Live the life you love, love the life you live...

Had: 1991 Mitsubishi Delica L300 SuperExceed, heavily modified (totalled by a drunk driver)
Have: 2011 Acura CSX manual, lightly modified
Want: Mitsubishi Pajero Evo

http://nes-design-construction.com
http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/nicolas-spurling/46/b48/924

Nicola Spurling
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

I'll be heading to Eugene at the end of July, to pick up my bike from Bike Friday. I'm going to head southwards after the meet in Mission on the 28th.

I'll be travelling northwards along the coast. Apparently it's slower (40-50 mph) compared to taking the No.5 (70 mph), but I don't care - I routinely enjoy driving along the eastern coastal road of Vancouver Island instead of taking the "Island Corridor."
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

Hope you have a great trip - heaps cool bike Paul!
Happy Day!
glenn
Vehicle: 93 L300/97 L400 Jasper

Post by glenn »

My top picks for oregon are:
The McKenzie Pass - takes you away from the coast to Bend - but is very cool. The lava fields are immense and very cool.
2011-08-18 15.59.38.jpg
2011-08-18 15.59.38.jpg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 9683 times
The Beaches: Numerous, and Beautiful. We stayed at beachside, which was fantastic. If you plan at staying at a state park, I really recommend reserving in advance if you can.
2011-08-18 11.01.12.jpg
2011-08-18 11.01.12.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 9683 times
Last, the Dunes, huge fields of dunes for all kinds of activities.

You can't really go wrong though. You could go back year after year and never get tired of it.
Glenn
http://www.vurv.ca

L400 and L300 consoles
1994delicaman

Post by 1994delicaman »

Thanks Glenn, The beaches and dunes are one of the reasons why we are going. We also are planning to head over to creater lake
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

glenn wrote:My top picks for oregon are:
The McKenzie Pass - takes you away from the coast to Bend - but is very cool. The lava fields are immense and very cool.
2011-08-18 15.59.38.jpg
Just added it to the itinerary. Thnx!
JPL
Jimbuktoo
Vehicle: '95 L400 Silver Super Exceed

Post by Jimbuktoo »

I'll be heading down from the Okanagan to the Oregon Country Fair near Eugene probably the 10th of July. I used to live in Oregon (Ashland) and can assure you that there are areas all over the state well worth seeing. The coast, of course, is spectacular. Crater Lake is sublime and a little surreal. The northeastern corner, around Joseph, is quite nice as well, particularly the Hells Canyon area. Stay off of I-5 as much as possible and you can't go wrong.
"Darwin"--'95 L400 SWB Super Exceed
ImageImage
1994delicaman

Post by 1994delicaman »

Jimbuktoo wrote:Stay off of I-5 as much as possible and you can't go wrong.
We are not going to use I-5, we are not going there in a rush. Going by the coast is so much better than being stuck on a straight line :-P. I will be posting up the latest trip schedule in the up coming weeks.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

There's also Boring, Oregon - it might be interesting to stop next to the town sign, just for the picture.
Last edited by mararmeisto on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPL
1994delicaman

Post by 1994delicaman »

**UPDATE** We are leaving either on Saturday the 28 or sunday the 29 of July. Will confirm exact date two weeks before also we will let you know were we are going to meet up.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
frostyfriday
Vehicle: 95 Delica L400 swb

Post by frostyfriday »

I lived in Portland for many years and have spent many weekends traveling all the back roads of Oregon and Washington first in my big Bronco, then a lifted Jeep and now my L400 swb. I still travel there regularly.

Here are some of my suggestions and favorites:

Boring IS boring. Don't waste your time unless it is on your way.

I would travel down to Victoria and cross into the States via Port Angeles. Then travel down the Washington coast. This is a long slow trip. Camp in the Olympic forests. There is camping on the beach near a place called Queets (I think).

Cross into Oregon by crossing the bridge at Astoria. It is a very cool bridge.
Then go towards the coast. There is a huge car camping site at Fort Stevens. Not my favorite, too many people but it works.
Access the beach at Fort Stevens and first drive north a bit to where the Columbia enters the ocean just to see it, then drive down to Gearheart on the beach. It is great fun.

The Oregon coast is great but it is definitely slow going. Don't be in a rush. Going inland towards the Tillamook forests can be a fun diversion.
There is a 4x4 area called Browns camp where you can play in the forest with your 4x4. The Tillamook forestry center is cool if you have kids. If not there is good camping behind the center. Ask them for info.

The McKenzie Pass is great. A good way to cut across to Crater lake. Camp at the rugged campsite in crater lake or at one of the lakes nearby like Diamond lake. Don't use the RV campsite. It is a zoo. Make sure you do the boat tour of Crater lake. I don't usually do those sorts of tours but this one is very cool.

Buy a red Delorme Oregon map book. It is a great resource and show all the back country roads. There are so many places to visit in central Oregon. Crater lake, hole it the ground, crack in the ground, Fort rock, Paulina and East lakes (little crater lakes). Lava cast forests near Sunriver. It took me years to explore that area of central Oregon. There are so many fun off-road drives. The high desert museum near Sunriver is great for kids. There are also lava tunnels a mile or so long in the area. Mt Bachelor is also nice.

If you go to Bend, be sure to go down to the old town. It is much nicer than the rest of the city. Going home, it might be nice to return from the Bend area by going over Mt hood. Drive to the to and visit the lodge. It is an interesting building. There will be snow but the road will be clear to the top. Great views on sunny days. I like to go around Mt Hood to Hood river rather than returning directly to Portland. Hood river is a fantastic little town. You will never see so many windsurfers and kite boarders again in your life. The drive is a great windy road with fantastic vistas. You will pass through the valley farms with all sorts of fruit and berries for sale. Hood river has great brew pubs and is a good place for a lunch or dinner.

You could then go to Portland via 84 but I would rather cross into Washington at Hood river. Go East to the Maryhill Museum. It has amazing art in a great old mansion in the middle of nowhere and there is a replica of Stonehenge nearby. The mansion is a good place for a picnic, Watch out for the peacocks! There are a few good wineries nearby too. Some are happy to have you bring a picnic and hang out on their property.

The trip back west towards Vancouver, WA, is a lovely amazing road with incredible views of the columbia river and the Gorge.
You could also meander North into Washington, there is Mt Rainier and funky little towns all over the place.
If you go to Portland, enter and exit between 10am - 2pm. Traffic is bad with two major rivers and go figure, they narrow I5 down to 2 lanes as it passes through the city...

Oregon drives me nuts in the winter, a lot of rain on the coast but in the summer you can go weeks with nothing but blue sky (except at the coast). Central Oregon is my favorite. It is hot, dry and huge with miles and miles of dirt roads.

Driving a Delica in Oregon is fun, nobody has ever seen them. You will get a million questions and Oregonians are mostly a friendly bunch.
1994delicaman

Post by 1994delicaman »

thanks for the write up man very informative :-D . I wont be driving my delica, I'll be taking my safari.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

It sounds like I need to take more than a week off!
JPL
Shaun Van Ramen
Vehicle: '91 Exceed

Post by Shaun Van Ramen »

I did a motorcycle trip through Oregon 2 years ago. Dead Indian Memorial Hwy was a good ride. Between Klamath Falls & Ashland.
Also (the reason we went) the Beer in Oregon is Fabulous. Cave Junction (Hwy 199 just So. of Kerby) has a nice little pizza joint/brewery (Wild River Beer).
Also Klamath Falls - Klamath Basin Brewery.

Yum!
Attachments
Pizza and Beer :)~
Pizza and Beer :)~
MO_89.jpg (149.28 KiB) Viewed 9391 times
The Sign Says it.
The Sign Says it.
MO_83.jpg (128.77 KiB) Viewed 9391 times
Klamath Basin Brewery, Klamath Falls, Or.
Klamath Basin Brewery, Klamath Falls, Or.
MO_76.jpg (113.56 KiB) Viewed 9391 times
BAHahahahahahaha

Return to “Member Trips”