CADA Seeking federal ban on RHD imports in Canada!

RHD-related issues ONLY please (NOT for general political ads!)
RichD

Re: CADA Seeking federal ban on RHD imports in Canada!

Post by RichD »

elbosque wrote:
RichD wrote:Yes I am a professional in the field of sarcasm. lol
We are all volunteers at IVOAC with limited resources. I don't have much time for sarcastic critiques on this topic. If you or anyone else knows someone with the expertise to help out, send me a pm.
Read the post, man. I was making a humorous reference to the science content, which was totally over my head! That you missed the joke isn't really my fault.
Richard Dagenais
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

By the way, if you don't think anything is happening then think again. I just went to look up the Queens Printer's version of the Motor Vehicle Act Of British Columbia and it is no longer there. So I Googled said act and discovered a completely new act that mentions nothing about legalities of mid junction lane changes, &c., but it does speak a lot about seizure of records, special permits, duties of a peace officer, notice of prohibition... check it out: Motor Vehicle Act Of British Columbia. Incidentally, this was published on 4 October, 2010.

This is not a time for egos or bickering, in fact when you think about this it isn't really about RHD vehicles ~ it's about our Constitutional Rights.

Time to act, Canada.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

The BC Act was recently amended to account for the new laws re: drunk driving and speeding.

Incidentally, once again and still, the ONLY reference to a RHD vehicle in the whole act (Section 172(2)) is to make mention that a RHD vehicle must have a "mechanical or electrical signalling device" to operate on a highway (basically any public road). This specifically speaks to the fact that the driver cannot signal their intent such that the driver can see from behind (makes sense). I don't have a problem with this, and since all of our vehicles have these devices (mechanical or electical), this is a non-issue.

Other than that once instance, there is NO OTHER MENTION of the location of the driver.
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
thedjjack
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/forum/ucp.php?i=164
Vehicle: 1989 L300 HITOP!!

Post by thedjjack »

Another interesting fact is that BC was originally setup for leftside driving and RHD vehicles. Due to the number of americans coming up to BC and forgetting what side of the road we drove on, BC switched.

We need to organize and fight this. Currently looking for a leader.
RichD

Post by RichD »

thedjjack wrote:Another interesting fact is that BC was originally setup for leftside driving and RHD vehicles. Due to the number of americans coming up to BC and forgetting what side of the road we drove on, BC switched.

We need to organize and fight this. Currently looking for a leader.
Lets have a meet. I have some ideas for a BC based initiative. I can host.

EDIT: I think I can use a telephone conference bridge from work for this as well, for those who aren't able to meet in person.
Last edited by RichD on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Dagenais
dennis_lambert
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 2 L300 exceed high roofs

Post by dennis_lambert »

Lets get organized!
Tell me what I can do to help!
In my opinion This is simply about the Dealers Greed they dont give a S#@t about Saftey.
RichD

Post by RichD »

RichD wrote:Lets have a meet. I have some ideas for a BC based initiative. I can host.

EDIT: I think I can use a telephone conference bridge from work for this as well, for those who aren't able to meet in person.
I spoke to Daryl at IVOAC, to get an idea what the provincial groups are doing today and how we can align with them.

I'm looking for some interest locally and for some potential leaders to emerge from the pack before I'll set up a meet.

To clarify what I'm proposing:

BC registered not-for-profit focused on support and services for JDM owners in British Columbia, so we can effectively and legitimately raise funds.

I'm not proposing a forum or a website, although obviously web services would be a part of any organisation these days. This is mainly about a real-world club with programs that extend mainly into the real world. Of course, supporting the forums (financially or otherwise) is an obvious program that could happen.

I intend to submit a proposed mandate along these lines:
- the promotion of safe RHD ownership, i.e. enhance this experience for all
- programs to support members
-- examples/ideas:
--- emergency roadside service and parts sourcing (i.e. real services for everybody)
--- funding group buys
--- leveraging our membership toward discounts
--- education, training, etc
--- referral services for qualified importers and service shops
- events for social benefit and fundraising alike
- some structured support to help members organize their own programs and events under our banner
- public relations, help fund national and provincial RHD defense and awareness

We need some people to step up as potential board members. I am glad to volunteer and cover set up fees, but I really think we'd need a half dozen serious volunteers, ideally with some representation beyond the delica.ca group before we can credibly launch something like this.
Richard Dagenais
Dingus
Vehicle: 03 Tiburon, 04 PT Cruiser

Post by Dingus »

Sounds like a great plan Rich, a real world non-profit organization can have some great benefits over a protest group (even one well organized). I have worked with non-profit groups a fair bit in the recent past, and if I can assist with anything in the Edmonton area or administratively I would be more than happy to join the fight. I would also suggest going viral on social media sites with an education campaign.

No need to prod for stepping up as a board member; I offer my services freely.
thedjjack
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/forum/ucp.php?i=164
Vehicle: 1989 L300 HITOP!!

Post by thedjjack »

I am a little limited on time these days. But, would love to attend the meeting and help out where I can.

Cheers
David
LeeHammy
Vehicle: 1994 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8L Turbo

Post by LeeHammy »

Come on... really? When you also talk about the dealers, it does affect the dealers / manufacturers like GMC, Ford etc. Smaller independent dealers will sale these vehicles yes, but not the big ones, which are represented by CADA.
So the real point here is CADA, they see these vehicles being sold here, therefore losing money. They are not more piece of junk then any other 15 year old Ford that are still running on our roads.
So CADA lose money over these vehicles and they want the government to creat a law that will prevent these vehicles to enter our country, playing with numbers on their data sheet showing us a falls picture of the reality.
Now, A thinking Man, (I don't know where you guys get all of these names... your mother gave you a name so use it and stop hiding behing a pseudonym), when you say that it affect your ability to make eye contact with the driver... really, you make eye contact with drivers coming from the opposite direction?

This is all about money, politics and lobbying, end of conversation.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
WAIT...HOLD on!!........ Let me get this straight.............. 15 year old Ford still running? ..........BAhhhhahahaahaaa!
i like cheese
FredVenne
Vehicle: L300 Exceed Pop-Top, Pajero Exceed

Post by FredVenne »

I’m in to help! I have been on a few non-profit board and I am use to volunteer. I’m not bad with web site, not a bad photographer and good public speaker. By the end of the month my lady and I (and the Deli) will go on an extensive road trip up north and then later in the season, back down on the Island for a while.
There has been an idea earlier about all of us having decals with a max of words that explain what our vehicles (RHD) are. As said, we own and drive billboard. So website (if any website is ever establish) some facts, positive remarks and clearly indicate that this is a Right Hand Driver vehicle... so no bull crap about being surprise to see that "there was no driver on the left seat!!!" If there is a majority of you that think we should do this, lets get to work and start throwing ideas, words and then, create templates, vote on whichever we feel is the best and post it to download so everybody can go to a printing shop and have it done themselves.

If this is an idea that will grow, lets start a new thread.

Fred
Why driving on well traveled route when you can beat your own path...
-The Mighty Yeti

Fun Long Road Trip on road, dirt and ice - Delica L300 Pop-Top Camper
Fun playing around in the mud and work horse - Pajero GDI 3.5L 6cyl LWB
Best vehicle in all conditions - Subary Impreza WRX
RichD

Post by RichD »

In lieu of starting a thread I'm going to ask those interested in attending a meeting to discuss a formalized BC JDM club* to please email me at radagenais@gmail.com or call at 778-987-4335.

* or BC/Alberta RHD - the specifics will be one of the first topics of discussion for sure

This is going to be a very preliminary meet in which we test out the notion in a group setting and talk about next steps.
Richard Dagenais
tonydca
Vehicle: 95 L400 Exceed - yeah, baby!

Post by tonydca »

FredVenne wrote:I’m in to help! I have been on a few non-profit board and I am use to volunteer. I’m not bad with web site, not a bad photographer and good public speaker. By the end of the month my lady and I (and the Deli) will go on an extensive road trip up north and then later in the season, back down on the Island for a while.
There has been an idea earlier about all of us having decals with a max of words that explain what our vehicles (RHD) are. As said, we own and drive billboard. So website (if any website is ever establish) some facts, positive remarks and clearly indicate that this is a Right Hand Driver vehicle... so no bull crap about being surprise to see that "there was no driver on the left seat!!!" If there is a majority of you that think we should do this, lets get to work and start throwing ideas, words and then, create templates, vote on whichever we feel is the best and post it to download so everybody can go to a printing shop and have it done themselves.

If this is an idea that will grow, lets start a new thread.

Fred
How about starting with something as simple as a nice FAQ website highlighting our side of the argument (say, like RHDFacts.ca or similar?), then a simple bumper sticker in bold colours:

"Think Right-Hand drive vehicles are dangerous? Ask a Driver - Me!! (or visit http://www.RHDFacts.ca)"

Then print up a ton and pass 'em out at every meet we have, and keep some in your glove box to hand out to willing RHD drivers you see on the road.

I'd pony up to get a batch made up...
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the elementary-school-aged boys...
Pajerist
Vehicle: 1993 Pajero 2.8L 5-speed LWB

Post by Pajerist »

How about starting with something as simple as a nice FAQ website highlighting our side of the argument (say, like RHDFacts.ca or similar?), then a simple bumper sticker in bold colours:

"Think Right-Hand drive vehicles are dangerous? Ask a Driver - Me!! (or visit http://www.RHDFacts.ca)"
That is good idea, but what about to join/participate IVOAC ? I think it will be better for the fight to keep all in one place.
Fight for Right to drive from Right!
http://forum.import-era.com/index.php
http://www.ivoac.ca
Pajerist
Vehicle: 1993 Pajero 2.8L 5-speed LWB

Post by Pajerist »

Are you an professional in this field? If so, IVOAC can use someone who speaks this language and can translate it into everyday language. I had to reread it a couple times. Journalist won't do this. They will want it translated for them in plain language. If you can help out, please let me know. Thx
Journalists supposed to be fluent in English, so I do not see a problem to read 6 pages of the UBC report.

The last passage is most important and it is saying for itself:

"Overall, the ICBC report suggests that RHD vehicles and their operators are at a greater risk
than their LHD counterparts but issues with the data and the analyses suggest that further study
is needed. Causation is difficult to establish with observational data. I would caution the use of
the ICBC report as anything more than an indication that further study is needed.
"

just my 2 cents...
Fight for Right to drive from Right!
http://forum.import-era.com/index.php
http://www.ivoac.ca

Return to “RHD Political and Legal Matters”